Why do people favor NYC firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 pm

rayiner wrote:New Yorkers are like people in abusive relationships. Check out this idiot:

--LinkRemoved--

"They also installed blinds, however, the windows are single pane and somewhat drafty. This is to be expected in an older building, but I will go into why it is a problem later."

Sure, to be expected...

"The first three days I spent in my apartment, I had my heater on only at night (high) and was still cold--especially when I was more than a few feet away from the source. It sounded and felt like I was using a blow-dryer for heat. Then, I get my first electricity bill...for $82."

Hmm...

"Then, I get my first electricity bill...for $82. If it costs that much for THREE DAYS, then imagine what it would be for a month!"

Well that's gotta be a mistake...

"consulted a friend who also lives in Gateway. The bill for his 2-bedroom is $500 per month. After speaking with management, he discovered that the units are not designed for heating and they are indeed like inefficient blow-dryers."

He moved out right?

"'I'm pretty happy with this place. Compared to the 3 apartments I've had in Midtown, Gateway is definitely cleaner, nicer and much more serene."

Wait wut?

Score: 4/5.

Reading some of the responses, they seem to take pride in putting up with third-world problems in a $2500/mo apartment:

"My gf and I turned on the heat in our apartment ONCE this winter - and it was a cold winter. our Elec bills were about $50 a month. not bad. but maybe we are from hardier stock. "
If you're ready to shell out $2,500-$3,000 for a 1BR, you will find some ridiculously nice places. Most people who have "Stockholm's Syndrome" in NYC are people who are living on modest means and are forced to accept what's given to them. When you're looking in the amounts above, you really have an abundance of choices throughout Manhattan. I recommend hunting in August/September. At the moment, vacancies are at an all time low. This translates into brokers and landlords having better leverage. But stuff starts freeing up around August/September, and that's where you get more wiggle room to negotiate lower broker fees.

Does make you miss the days of the financial crisis, I suppose. Back then, buildings–especially new developments–were offering stuff like one-three months' rent free. It really was a renter's market back then. But, quickly enough, things have reversed.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:33 pm

We could really use another financial crisis right about now. Stocks are looking to expensive to invest in, housing is expensive, above the law is getting boring, etc.

Warroad

New

Post by Warroad » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:36 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:
Warroad wrote: Just use craigslist & look under "by owner" so you don't have to pay a broker fee.
Again, see above for why "no fee" really doesn't mean much
Some of the listings on craigslist that say "By owner" are actually brokers. Some of them are actually "by owner" and thus actually have no fee.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:We could really use another financial crisis right about now. Stocks are looking to expensive to invest in, housing is expensive, above the law is getting boring, etc.
I think the whole "housing is expensive" thing is just an NYC phenomenon. The city was bailed out in the heat of the crisis. I'm sure other markets are still reeling from the real estate bubble burst and that renters/buyers in those markets have significantly more leverage in negotiating deals.

But yes, the Dow is horrendously overvalued, and abovethelaw is boring.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Warroad wrote:
Warroad wrote: Just use craigslist & look under "by owner" so you don't have to pay a broker fee.
Some of the listings on craigslist that say "By owner" are actually brokers. Some of them are actually "by owner" and thus actually have no fee.

Yeah, it's kind of hit or miss. And there's a lot of crap on craigslist too. Just an cesspool for finding good NY rentals.

Honestly, if your firm's relocation package covers a broker's fee, it's stupid not to take advantage of it. Eliminates the huge headache of having to look on your own, a good broker really does work for you, you really find a place that fits your preferences, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:We could really use another financial crisis right about now. Stocks are looking to expensive to invest in, housing is expensive, above the law is getting boring, etc.
I think the whole "housing is expensive" thing is just an NYC phenomenon. The city was bailed out in the heat of the crisis. I'm sure other markets are still reeling from the real estate bubble burst and that renters/buyers in those markets have significantly more leverage in negotiating deals.

Let's form a hedge fund. Investment strategy: figuring out other funds' strategies and betting hard to make them go haywire leading to systematic collapse?

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Let's form a hedge fund. Investment strategy: figuring out other funds' strategies and betting hard to make them go haywire leading to systematic collapse?

Haha. I feel like this idea has already been implemented by some hedge funds :lol:

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:40 pm

:(

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 pm

rayiner wrote:New Yorkers are like people in abusive relationships. Check out this idiot:

--LinkRemoved--

"They also installed blinds, however, the windows are single pane and somewhat drafty. This is to be expected in an older building, but I will go into why it is a problem later."

Sure, to be expected...

"The first three days I spent in my apartment, I had my heater on only at night (high) and was still cold--especially when I was more than a few feet away from the source. It sounded and felt like I was using a blow-dryer for heat. Then, I get my first electricity bill...for $82."

Hmm...

"Then, I get my first electricity bill...for $82. If it costs that much for THREE DAYS, then imagine what it would be for a month!"

Well that's gotta be a mistake...

"consulted a friend who also lives in Gateway. The bill for his 2-bedroom is $500 per month. After speaking with management, he discovered that the units are not designed for heating and they are indeed like inefficient blow-dryers."

He moved out right?

"'I'm pretty happy with this place. Compared to the 3 apartments I've had in Midtown, Gateway is definitely cleaner, nicer and much more serene."

Wait wut?

Score: 4/5.

Reading some of the responses, they seem to take pride in putting up with third-world problems in a $2500/mo apartment:

"My gf and I turned on the heat in our apartment ONCE this winter - and it was a cold winter. our Elec bills were about $50 a month. not bad. but maybe we are from hardier stock. "
If you're ready to shell out $2,500-$3,000 for a 1BR, you will find some ridiculously nice places. Most people who have "Stockholm's Syndrome" in NYC are people who are living on modest means and are forced to accept what's given to them. When you're looking in the amounts above, you really have an abundance of choices throughout Manhattan. I recommend hunting in August/September. At the moment, vacancies are at an all time low. This translates into brokers and landlords having better leverage. But stuff starts freeing up around August/September, and that's where you get more wiggle room to negotiate lower broker fees.

Does make you miss the days of the financial crisis, I suppose. Back then, buildings–especially new developments–were offering stuff like one-three months' rent free. It really was a renter's market back then. But, quickly enough, things have reversed.
The building in the comment above is a Battery Park City place where the the 1 BRs start at $2,700...

From what I can tell there were some good deals to be had in FiDi in 2009, but those seem long gone. Unless the websites lie and brokers get super double secret rents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Warroad

New

Post by Warroad » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Warroad wrote: Some of the listings on craigslist that say "By owner" are actually brokers. Some of them are actually "by owner" and thus actually have no fee.

Yeah, it's kind of hit or miss. And there's a lot of crap on craigslist too. Just an cesspool for finding good NY rentals.

Honestly, if your firm's relocation package covers a broker's fee, it's stupid not to take advantage of it. Eliminates the huge headache of having to look on your own, a good broker really does work for you, you really find a place that fits your preferences, etc.
Certainly depends on what your budget is and how much leg work you're willing to do. I found a very reasonably priced one bedroom in Brooklyn through craigslist and I'm happy with it.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Warroad wrote:

Even Cravath only covers $3,000 brokers fee...

Someone had a theory that biglaw salaries shot up to $160k so NYC associates could afford to live in decent apartments. With rents expected to go up 10% over the next year, maybe it's time for NYC to 190...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/15/real_es ... /index.htm

More stats: biglawyers can't even afford the average rent in NYC: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/flo ... re-spiking
Last edited by rayiner on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Simpson Thacher drew the short straw last time. Who will step up to the plate this go around?

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:51 pm

From what I can tell there were some good deals to be had in FiDi in 2009, but those seem long gone. Unless the websites lie and brokers get super double secret rents.
Again, my friend literally got a rental in 20 Pine for $2.7k. 700 square feet. I think it's probably still on streeteasy, so I'll look for it. But yeah, they're there. Again, $2.5k+ is more than enough. When you tell anyone in the city that that's your budget, they typically assume that you will find a nice swank place. Won't approach what Melo was staying in, but it'll be nice. It won't be in SoHo, but it'll be nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Even Cravath only covers $3,000 brokers fee...
I don't know about Cravath. But I know that several NY offices, including mine, cover the broker's fee.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Here's an example:
http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/754484 ... t-new-york

$2,600/month for a 675 square foot place. Building is amazing. Location is FiDi. Done.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Again, my friend literally got a rental in 20 Pine for $2.7k. 700 square feet. I think it's probably still on streeteasy, so I'll look for it. But yeah, they're there. Again, $2.5k+ is more than enough. When you tell anyone in the city that that's your budget, they typically assume that you will find a nice swank place. Won't approach what Melo was staying in, but it'll be nice. It won't be in SoHo, but it'll be nice.
Looks like a good deal. Could probably make an alcove with that square footage, but you can put up shelving...

http://img.streeteasy.com/nyc/attachmen ... ection.jpg

Look at the size of that bathroom. :mrgreen:

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 pm

rayiner wrote:
Looks like a good deal. Could probably make an alcove with that square footage, but you can put up shelving...

http://img.streeteasy.com/nyc/attachmen ... ection.jpg

Look at the size of that bathroom. :mrgreen:
With that square footage, you're looking at a studio that's larger than most 1BRs in NYC. And the bathooms there amazing. I think the water in the shower comes out this mechanism in the roof, rather than some faucet. Really therapeutic. I'd totally live there if I didn't... you know... want to live in the Financial District. But to each their own.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 am

785 square feet (literally larger than the 2BR I once lived in in Manhattan): http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/759527 ... t-new-york
815 square feet: http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/774870 ... t-new-york

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:12 am

In the past 24 hours since I was last on TLS, this thread basically doubled in size....

To that end, here's the tl;dr from my skimming: NYC is expensive, NYC apartments are really expensive, to some people Texas > NY, to other people NY > Texas, and thesealocust continues to impress with his ever-changing user images. Done.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:20 am

Sup Kid wrote:In the past 24 hours since I was last on TLS, this thread basically doubled in size....

To that end, here's the tl;dr from my skimming: NYC is expensive, NYC apartments are really expensive, to some people Texas > NY, to other people NY > Texas, and thesealocust continues to impress with his ever-changing user images. Done.
/thread

/employment forum

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:34 am

seriouslyinformative wrote:785 square feet (literally larger than the 2BR I once lived in in Manhattan): http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/759527 ... t-new-york
Thanks for the info. I'd seen this building before, but I figured it was flame. Good to know it's legit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:31 am

thesealocust wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:In the past 24 hours since I was last on TLS, this thread basically doubled in size....

/thread

/employment forum

Dude, I'm sorry but you're wrong. All threads should end at
rayiner wrote: maybe it's time for NYC to 190.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:23 am

Warroad wrote:
thecilent wrote:I guess I'll ask for some help in here, since it seems like a lot of nycers here: anyone have any advice for finding an apt? I got streeteasy and nofeerentals so far, which kinda help.. anyone know other good places or have any tips to offer? Tyia
Just use craigslist & look under "by owner" so you don't have to pay a broker fee.
Another good website is http://www.nybits.com. Pretty much all the large corporate landlords in manhattan posting their listings there no-fee.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:41 am

rayiner wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:785 square feet (literally larger than the 2BR I once lived in in Manhattan): http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rental/759527 ... t-new-york
Thanks for the info. I'd seen this building before, but I figured it was flame. Good to know it's legit.
No problem. And the 4,5 is just a block away, so door-to-door your commute should really be no longer than 20 minutes, and will probably be closer to 15 on a good day.

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:48 am

To chime in on the broker/no-broker thing. You first need to know what you're looking for - if you want an apartment in an amenities laden, new/renovated highrise building, you certainly don't nee a broker. I will second nybits as THE go-to place to find such apartments without a broker. That website has contact information and locations of most if not all of the major corporate landlords. If you do use a broker for these types of places you are probably wasting money, unless you don't want to do the legwork in finding the apartment. Most of the information on these types of places is publicly available and many companies have in-house rental teams. So, if you bring your broker, often times you end up paying more (or get less incentives) to compensate your broker.

Most craigslist ads that feature these types of buildings are from scum brokers that don't really offer much value.

However, if you don't want a large highrise, then you probably need a broker. Generally, walk-ups are the land of (i) individual owned units in coops/condos or (ii) smaller management companies These type of owners need a broker to get word out on their apartments and generally don't want to deal with the hassle of the rental process. Craigslist, many many years ago was a decent place to find apartments in this category, but now it has become overloaded with brokers and finding a true no-fee, no-broker apartment is pretty hard (not impossible, but hard). Because good apartments in NYC generally get rented very quickly, having a good broker is essential. They'll have the open listings (available to all brokers) and then probably some exclusive listings (only available to that brokerage).

I have had three apartments in the city. First apartment was a walk-up I found with a Citihabitats broker. Generally a pretty bad broker, but found me a decent place. I looked on my own exhaustively and never saw the place I ended up renting on the internet. Second apartment was a new building. I used the companies in-house rental team and didn't pay a fee. My third apartment is another walk-up I found through connections in the city and didn't end up paying a fee.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”