Why do people favor NYC firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PKSebben

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:02 am

sundance95 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:DC sounds great and all, but I would kill myself if I had to hear people calling trains the "metro"

facist fucking train won't let me eat ice cream on it. Fuck you, DC.

TBF, that's why it's not full of rats, nor smells like feces.

good point, but that's just not Amurrikian.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 am

sundance95 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:DC sounds great and all, but I would kill myself if I had to hear people calling trains the "metro"

I suppose DC trains have no frotteurism either, right?

dood

Postby dood » Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 am

sundance95 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

taken in front of my apartment in DC:
--ImageRemoved--

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:The hope to one day have this view every morning:

--ImageRemoved--

Can any but the most successful lawyers hope to have this? This seems like C-level territory.

The tippy top partners at my firm that actually live in new york do not have park views.

A standard living space with that view is like 4-5 million bucks. I doubt there are very many lawyers who can afford a 4-5 million dollar apartment.

Key here is "standard" which partners just can't do for a variety of reasons. They can have a blah space with (maybe) that view for 4-5mm, but they're expected to have something pretty swank. I also think your 4-5mm is a lowball for a parkview at that height.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:05 am

dood wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Take your pick of anything behind the counter except the sony walkman. I gotta call the manager if anyone brings in enough tickets for that.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:06 am

PKSebben wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Can any but the most successful lawyers hope to have this? This seems like C-level territory.

The tippy top partners at my firm that actually live in new york do not have park views.

A standard living space with that view is like 4-5 million bucks. I doubt there are very many lawyers who can afford a 4-5 million dollar apartment.

Key here is "standard" which partners just can't do for a variety of reasons. They can have a blah space with (maybe) that view for 4-5mm, but they're expected to have something pretty swank. I also think your 4-5mm is a lowball for a parkview at that height.

You're right, it is probably low for the height. I think 4-5 million is more standard in the lower apartments.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:06 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

brb googling.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu May 12, 2011 1:06 am

dood wrote:
mjitbswyd wrote:I am not a US citizen, so maybe it's something cultural I dont understand, but why do most people favor NYC biglaw over other firms in lower-cost cities that also pay 160k?

thanks!

cause NYC is home to 50 cent, nas, jayZ, wu-tang, and biggie (RIP). thats culture.

You're forgetting, inter alia, Big L (RIP).

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:07 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

brb googling.

giggity!

dood

Postby dood » Thu May 12, 2011 1:07 am

PKSebben wrote:Take your pick of anything behind the counter except the sony walkman. I gotta call the manager if anyone brings in enough tickets for that.

ty ty very much lol

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:13 am

dood wrote:rat.jpg

Dude, you live in Adams fucking Morgan. What do you expect?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:16 am

sundance95 wrote:

Oh, he live's in Adams Morgan? I'm surprised a hobo isn't assfucking that rat. I took a very ill-advised body shot of a "chick" there.

dood

Postby dood » Thu May 12, 2011 1:17 am

sundance95 wrote:

lol glad somebody recognized the icon known as jumbo slice.

edit: just to add that i never eat that shit.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:20 am

I lived at 18th and Columbia the year after I graduated from college, I know what's up. There's no blackout like a Millie and Al's blackout.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu May 12, 2011 1:22 am

This thread is killing me... :lol:

So is it agreed the best thing NYC has going for it is that it smells like shit? That seemed to be one of the major draws for some posters...

But I gotta admit, that dead rat is so cute it makes me miss D.C....

dood

Postby dood » Thu May 12, 2011 1:25 am

Lawquacious wrote:But I gotta admit, that dead rat is so cute it makes me miss D.C....

yea i got lucky and found that specimen on a 7am walk of shame, before any major bloating / damage from cars.

The Insider

Postby The Insider » Thu May 12, 2011 1:40 am

Does anyone know how good the social life is in NYC? I am an extrovert, so is it easy to make friends in that kind of environment? I will most likely be attending school there so I am curious what the social life has to offer. I am just concerned that there won't be "regular, kick-back moments" to chill with others, but more so a fast-paced endless ripple that just sucks you up and spits you out.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu May 12, 2011 1:46 am

The Insider wrote:Does anyone know how good the social life is in NYC? I am an extrovert, so is it easy to make friends in that kind of environment? I will most likely be attending school there so I am curious what the social life has to offer. I am just concerned that there won't be "regular, kick-back moments" to chill with others, but more so a fast-paced endless ripple that just sucks you up and spits you out.

All of the above dude. There's a scene for everything here. It's a little more fast-paced, so you're not playing horseshoes out back of the Saloon (although I bet you can do this somewhere -- probably in fucking Williamsburg). You'll be happy to be an extrovert in NYC, man.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Thu May 12, 2011 10:12 am

dood wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

lol glad somebody recognized the icon known as jumbo slice.

edit: just to add that i never eat that shit.

I used to eat Jumbo Slice on the regs when I hung out in AdMo a lot after graduating college. If you follow the popular Bar -> JS -> Metro route, you start to feel it at about the AdMo bridge, and then you have the crappiest metro ride ever in store.

Julia's Empanadas FTW!

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Thu May 12, 2011 10:13 am

PKSebben wrote:
The Insider wrote:Does anyone know how good the social life is in NYC? I am an extrovert, so is it easy to make friends in that kind of environment? I will most likely be attending school there so I am curious what the social life has to offer. I am just concerned that there won't be "regular, kick-back moments" to chill with others, but more so a fast-paced endless ripple that just sucks you up and spits you out.

All of the above dude. There's a scene for everything here. It's a little more fast-paced, so you're not playing horseshoes out back of the Saloon (although I bet you can do this somewhere -- probably in fucking Williamsburg). You'll be happy to be an extrovert in NYC, man.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 am

dood wrote:
[Dead Rat]

I call you and I raise you one. Out the window of my Dupont Cir. apartment:

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu May 12, 2011 1:41 pm

oo oo rat stories...

My gf used to live in NE near Washington Hospital Center when she was in college. Her and her roommates lived in a ground-floor and a family of rats lived in the AC unit enclosure right outside their sliding-glass patio door. The enclosure didn't close properly because the door was old as fck, so I had maintenance replace it. Then, I thought I'd be a badass and barricade that mthrfcker, causing the little rat family distress/hoping they would move their operation elsewhere. Well, my plan backfired. Sort of. The rats ended up dying in the enclosure because they couldn't find any other way out. Let me tell you...the ensuing smell from the AC vents for a few days before I had the gf call maintenance to clear it out...vomit.

Rats live in cities, but cities are gross for more reasons than rats. For me, living in a city is better than living in the sticks. I'd rather have to dodge a rat every now and again than have to fire-up my rig and pour $5 gasoline in the tank plus pay insurance, etc... Granted, NYC is way more gross than DC, but debt-laden students can't afford to split hairs when presented with job opportunities in the former and not in the latter.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu May 12, 2011 1:58 pm

PKSebben wrote:

There's a bar in midtown east that has a bocce court.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu May 12, 2011 2:20 pm

2LLLL wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

I love this, as I reading I was thinking "except for the hipster"

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri May 13, 2011 8:23 pm

PKSebben wrote:
rayiner wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:The hope to one day have this view every morning:

--ImageRemoved--

Of a dirty patch of land surrounded by dirty old buildings?

Also credited. But don't you live in DC? If so, fuck you.

I've spent my whole life trying to get away from DC. 7 years in ATL, 3 in Chicago, and somehow am going to end up in the only place worse than DC, NYC. :(

Return to “Legal Employment”