Why do people favor NYC firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
Kronk wrote:lol @ the rest of new york not being dirty.

the point remains that bay area people are almost uniformly awful.

gfhomophobia

and tbf, hella is northern california slang, so if anyone can get away with it, it'd be someone from SF

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:57 pm

rayiner wrote:Sunnyside is all prewar construction

People usually like this, but to each his own; Sunnyside is nice but admittedly pretty dull.
rayiner wrote:long island city is an industrial wasteland

If you like new construction, you should really look at the buildings on the water in LIC and Williamsburg.
rayiner wrote:greenpoint should be a superfund site

No evidence of health risks from the Newtown Creek (that I know of), and otherwise quite a nice area.
rayiner wrote:brooklyn doesn't get nice until past nevins

This is just utterly incorrect. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Boerum Hill are some of the nicest parts of the entire city. Even DUMBO, though it's not for everybody. You might as well throw Fort Greene in there, too, it's basically right there.

At a minimum, Astoria should also be on your list.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly an appeal to being near work, and not having to haul out to the outer boroughs after going out on weekends, and all that. But there are so many nice neighborhoods that people never bother to explore. If it's just noise, dirt, and expense that's keeping people from liking NYC, they really shouldn't write it off so quickly, is all I'm saying.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:10 pm

If you're working in Midtown East, best to stay on the 4,5,6. Live in the Financial District. New highrises, great amenities, relatively low rent, and the commute is still short if you're near the subway stop. Only negative is that it's a little dead at night, but that's not a super big deal really.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Where else are you going to live? I've been looking for a reasonable place all summer and it's though. I work in midtown east, and the places within 30 minutes commuting distance are: upper east side (up to 125th or so), upper west side (up to 96th), long island city, sunnyside, brooklyn (out to about nevins), and greenpoint-ish. Yes I've timed all these.

I live in Brooklyn. I can be in Times Square in 30 min on the Q.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

People usually like this, but to each his own; Sunnyside is nice but admittedly pretty dull.

I can't fathom why. Dealing with old plumbing, no elevators, lack of amenities (gym, etc), rodent problems, etc. Yeah great stuff. The minimum cut-off is about 1970s mid/high-rise construction, when they started building shit to code and doing a better job of sealing up places rodents could get in. My office mate has a "charming" pre-war apartment in the east village. The entire building is infected with rat mites. The building is being treated and he's got to bag up all his clothing in plastic backs between wearing for the next 3 months. Either that or break his lease (which is the option he's probably going to take). Post-war construction isn't immune to rodent problems, of course, but in practice the risk is much less.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

If you like new construction, you should really look at the buildings on the water in LIC and Williamsburg.

No evidence of health risks from the Newtown Creek (that I know of), and otherwise quite a nice area.

So the general social trend is that poor people tend to bear the brunt of pollution, because housing around heavily polluted areas is so much cheaper. In this case, the folks renting LIC waterfront apartments for $2k/mo are those poor people.

--LinkRemoved--

Turn off the "cancer rate" map and turn on all the other indicators except underground petroleum storage. Take a look at Long Island City waterfront compared to the UES, UWS.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

This is just utterly incorrect. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, and Boerum Hill are some of the nicest parts of the entire city. Even DUMBO, though it's not for everybody. You might as well throw Fort Greene in there, too, it's basically right there.

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly an appeal to being near work, and not having to haul out to the outer boroughs after going out on weekends, and all that. But there are so many nice neighborhoods that people never bother to explore. If it's just noise, dirt, and expense that's keeping people from liking NYC, they really shouldn't write it off so quickly, is all I'm saying.

Boreum is *not* nice. At least the corridor around Flatbush. Brooklyn Heights is OK. Astoria isn't within the 30 minute commute to GCT.

I've spent all summer looking at other neighborhoods (since I have no particular attachment to MFH), but I've basically just found that you can trade the noise, dirt and expense for repurposed turn of the century tenement housing, massive industrial pollution, and tiring commutes.

^^^ Financial district definitely seems TCR, although it's not exactly "cheap." Still $2.5k+ for a 1 bedroom. Which is better than paying $4k in chelsea though no doubt.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:50 pm

rayiner wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I can't fathom why. Dealing with old plumbing, no elevators, lack of amenities (gym, etc), rodent problems, etc. Yeah great stuff. The minimum cut-off is about 1970s mid/high-rise construction, when they started building shit to code and doing a better job of sealing up places rodents could get in. My office mate has a "charming" pre-war apartment in the east village. The entire building is infected with rat mites. The building is being treated and he's got to bag up all his clothing in plastic backs between wearing for the next 3 months. Either that or break his lease (which is the option he's probably going to take). Post-war construction isn't immune to rodent problems, of course, but in practice the risk is much less.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

So the general social trend is that poor people tend to bear the brunt of pollution, because housing around heavily polluted areas is so much cheaper. In this case, the folks renting LIC waterfront apartments for $2k/mo are those poor people.

--LinkRemoved--

Turn off the "cancer rate" map and turn on all the other indicators except underground petroleum storage. Take a look at Long Island City waterfront compared to the UES, UWS.

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Boreum is *not* nice. At least the corridor around Flatbush. Brooklyn Heights is OK. Astoria isn't within the 30 minute commute to GCT.

I've spent all summer looking at other neighborhoods (since I have no particular attachment to MFH), but I've basically just found that you can trade the noise, dirt and expense for repurposed turn of the century tenement housing, massive industrial pollution, and tiring commutes.

^^^ Financial district definitely seems TCR, although it's not exactly "cheap." Still $2.5k+ for a 1 bedroom. Which is better than paying $4k in chelsea though no doubt.

But that 1BR will typically come with a doorman and an in-building gym, along with other amenities. Those add up to a lot of money in rent for the more glitzy areas.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 pm

nealric wrote:
Where else are you going to live? I've been looking for a reasonable place all summer and it's though. I work in midtown east, and the places within 30 minutes commuting distance are: upper east side (up to 125th or so), upper west side (up to 96th), long island city, sunnyside, brooklyn (out to about nevins), and greenpoint-ish. Yes I've timed all these.

I live in Brooklyn. I can be in Times Square in 30 min on the Q.

Is it really 30 minutes? I spend 5-7 minutes just fighting though the throngs of people at Grand Central to get to my office. Add another 5-7 minutes walking to the station from your apartment, and you're talking about places that are within a 15-20 minute subway ride, inclusive of transfers, etc. From GCT, that's basically the 4/5 up to 125 on the UES, the 7 over and the 2/3 up to 96th on the UWS, the <7> over to about Woodside in Queens, or the 4/5 down to Nevins in Brooklyn (and that's fudging).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Well, it sounds like you've got your reasons for not liking the LIC/North Brooklyn thing, I don't really agree but you may be on to something with the health stuff for all I know.

For what it's worth I can assure you that if you walk five minutes from Borough Hall or Nevins on the 4/5 you'll be in some beautiful areas with good bars, restaurants, etc. nearby.

As an example: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dean+stre ... 5,,0,-6.98

Anyway, again it's not all for anyone, just saying there are more diverse living options out there than people might realize.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:01 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:But that 1BR will typically come with a doorman and an in-building gym, along with other amenities. Those add up to a lot of money in rent for the more glitzy areas.

Sure. I don't think $2.5k/mo to live in a nice building in MFH is unreasonable. But it's still expensive. In downtown Chicago a doorman and an in-building gym isn't even an amenity really --- every building has them. I pay $1500/mo for a 600 sq-ft junior-1 on the 28th floor of a skyscraper (with a gorgeous city view) in the most ridiculously overpriced part of Chicago (a couple of blocks from the lake, a few blocks from the magnificent mile). Within walking distance of K&E Chicago's office.

Sure you get something for that trade off --- there's probably about 3x the density of good restaurants, lounges, and bars in Manhattan as compared to downtown Chicago. But you gotta be honest about the quite serious sacrifice you're making in terms of digs and general surroundings for access to that entertainment.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:05 am

Is it really 30 minutes? I spend 5-7 minutes just fighting though the throngs of people at Grand Central to get to my office.

It's really 30 to times square. I live across the street from a Q stop. The Q exits right in Times Sqaure- no transfers. I will admit that it would be more like 40-45 a place closer to grand central- that place is a zoo during commuting hours.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8

/thread

ETA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxsvzuRl1O8

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:22 am

I love how New Yorkers call cities like Denver, Portland, etc... "small towns"

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:35 am

dr123 wrote:I love how New Yorkers call cities like Denver, Portland, etc... "small towns"

Portland might be the greatest place on earth.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 am

rayiner wrote:
dr123 wrote:I love how New Yorkers call cities like Denver, Portland, etc... "small towns"

For real, I fuckin miss living there. Too bad there are like 0 jobs there.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 am

dr123 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

For real, I fuckin miss living there. Too bad there are like 0 jobs there.

Denver, bros. 300 days of sunlight.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:56 am

'cause if you can play your cards right and stay with the firm for years, you might end up making millions.

AND

I hear the girls are better looking in NY & NJ

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:'cause if you can play your cards right and stay with the firm for years, you might end up making millions.

AND

I hear the girls are better looking in NY & NJ

transferguy

Postby transferguy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:25 am

rayiner wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:But that 1BR will typically come with a doorman and an in-building gym, along with other amenities. Those add up to a lot of money in rent for the more glitzy areas.

Sure. I don't think $2.5k/mo to live in a nice building in MFH is unreasonable. But it's still expensive. In downtown Chicago a doorman and an in-building gym isn't even an amenity really --- every building has them. I pay $1500/mo for a 600 sq-ft junior-1 on the 28th floor of a skyscraper (with a gorgeous city view) in the most ridiculously overpriced part of Chicago (a couple of blocks from the lake, a few blocks from the magnificent mile). Within walking distance of K&E Chicago's office.

Sure you get something for that trade off --- there's probably about 3x the density of good restaurants, lounges, and bars in Manhattan as compared to downtown Chicago. But you gotta be honest about the quite serious sacrifice you're making in terms of digs and general surroundings for access to that entertainment.

Were you not able to get a job in Chicago? I'm originally from Chicago and would've killed to get a job back in Chicago for the reasons you stated (and more), but alas I am stuck in NYC :(

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:47 am

Based on where Rayiner is currently working, I'm going to go ahead and assume getting a job in Chicago was - and is - well within his reach. For a lot of people your favorite town matters much less than the firms (and their practices / cultures / reputations) which hire fresh grads. If you love Chicago and are interested in lobbying Congress, for example, you'll have a difficult job search :P

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:50 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:I hear the girls are better looking in NY & NJ

Your typical white girl isn't any prettier, there are just more very skinny ones (if that's your thing). I will say that it's one of the few places (in the US) to find hot ethnic girls (Jewish, Indian, etc) because it's got a critical mass of those populations to begin with.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 am

thesealocust wrote:Based on where Rayiner is currently working, I'm going to go ahead and assume getting a job in Chicago was - and is - well within his reach. For a lot of people your favorite town matters much less than the firms (and their practices / cultures / reputations) which hire fresh grads. If you love Chicago and are interested in lobbying Congress, for example, you'll have a difficult job search :P

I mean not necessarily. My year striking out in Chicago = screwing up K&E callback. Not fratty enough? Ding!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 am

rayiner wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Based on where Rayiner is currently working, I'm going to go ahead and assume getting a job in Chicago was - and is - well within his reach. For a lot of people your favorite town matters much less than the firms (and their practices / cultures / reputations) which hire fresh grads. If you love Chicago and are interested in lobbying Congress, for example, you'll have a difficult job search :P

I mean not necessarily. My year striking out in Chicago = screwing up K&E callback. Not fratty enough? Ding!

You didn't want K&E anyway. Trust me on this one. They put up a good front, but everything I've heard about them (from people who worked there, to people who work with them on a regular basis) is horrible. And I don't mean in the "work you to death, sweatshop" way.

Return to “Legal Employment”