Why do people favor NYC firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kwais

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby kwais » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:44 am

danidancer wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:The fact that you even suggest craigslist for NYC apt hunting means you don't know what you're talking about. Craigslist is a wasteland.

False. Craigslist is awesome and my friends and I have all found several nice, cheap NYC apts on there over the years - the scams are very, very easy to identify. The NYC housing market is not rocket science, and $20,000 up front is absurd. You just have to put in the leg work and be ready to pounce when you see something you like.

+1 Was it perhaps a...broker...who convinced you that you must pay the fee?

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:47 am

False. Craigslist is awesome and my friends and I have all found several nice, cheap NYC apts on there over the years - the scams are very, very easy to identify. The NYC housing market is not rocket science, and $20,000 up front is absurd. You just have to put in the leg work and be ready to pounce when you see something you like.

Speaking from experience. For every legit listing on Craigslist, there are 5 scams and 5 brokers who will show you places different from what you see in the ad.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

kwais wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:
What neighborhood are you renting in?

Haven't signed the lease yet, but I'm open to any area on the 4,5,6 south of Midtown and north of the Financial District.

well, that includes some pretty posh areas. Sorry for the tone of my original post, but the fact is that you can do much better in Washington Heights or something that involves more of a commute. Also, y u no use "no broker" craigslist?

Do you understand how excruciating getting on the subway at 10:45 after a 13 hour day is?

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 am

rayiner wrote:
kwais wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:
What neighborhood are you renting in?

Haven't signed the lease yet, but I'm open to any area on the 4,5,6 south of Midtown and north of the Financial District.

well, that includes some pretty posh areas. Sorry for the tone of my original post, but the fact is that you can do much better in Washington Heights or something that involves more of a commute. Also, y u no use "no broker" craigslist?

Do you understand how excruciating getting on the subway at 10:45 after a 13 hour day is?

Yes. And the firms do too, which is why most will hire a car service to get you home...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 pm

danidancer wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yes. And the firms do too, which is why most will hire a car service to get you home...

How often do you want to bill the client to drive you to washington heights every night for a month? Also, at my firm car service only kicks in after 10 hours billed.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
danidancer wrote:
rayiner wrote:

How often do you want to bill the client to drive you to washington heights every night for a month? Also, at my firm car service only kicks in after 10 hours billed.

FWIW, everyone at my NYC firm took cars every night they stayed late. No one felt bad about it at all.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:14 pm

rayiner wrote:You're right nobody is holding a knife to my throat. I turned down offers in Chicago, DC, and Atlanta (all cities I like better) because I really liked the firm I'm at. My point, in the context of this thread, is not that I'm forced to work in NY, but rather that I, and I'd imagine a number of other people, came to a NY firm because of the job opportunities, not the city itself.

Well, yeah, I'd think that would be the primary reason (and the primary reason why most people bid on NYC at OCI). But you're going to have to find things you like and somewhere to live that you feel comfortable. I'm sorry you're having a cruddy experience with it so far this summer, though.

As for car services, I think different firms work differently. You just have to ask (though I know at my sister's firm it's just at a time -- after 8pm I think, and not based on billables; and everyone uses them without feeling bad).

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 pm

keg411 wrote:
rayiner wrote:You're right nobody is holding a knife to my throat. I turned down offers in Chicago, DC, and Atlanta (all cities I like better) because I really liked the firm I'm at. My point, in the context of this thread, is not that I'm forced to work in NY, but rather that I, and I'd imagine a number of other people, came to a NY firm because of the job opportunities, not the city itself.

Well, yeah, I'd think that would be the primary reason (and the primary reason why most people bid on NYC at OCI). But you're going to have to find things you like and somewhere to live that you feel comfortable. I'm sorry you're having a cruddy experience with it so far this summer, though.

As for car services, I think different firms work differently. You just have to ask (though I know at my sister's firm it's just at a time -- after 8pm I think, and not based on billables; and everyone uses them without feeling bad).

Re: car service, I don't feel bad, it's just even when you stay late billing 10 hours isn't a given. Working 12 to bill 10 is pretty efficient...

As for finding something I like... I don't really have to. Young people work shitty jobs to get ahead. I'm working a job I really like in a place that sucks. I consider myself lucky. My gf and are channeling our dislike by starting a blog of trash piles we encounter.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:27 pm

I demand a link.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Renzo wrote:And I'm not sure how you'd decide what city is the friendliest, but I have been to some unfriendly cities (I'm looking at you, Portland and Seattle), and NYC is not one.

I find this hilarious, but I think it's indicative of East Coast-West Coast cultural differences more than anything. Portland and Seattle have reputations as two of the friendliest cities in the U.S.; NYC, not so much. I used to live in Portland and have spent time in NYC, and I find Portland far friendlier. I wouldn't expect New Yorkers to agree, though. Why? I think that people who've spent significant time in a place like New York have objectively different standards of friendliness than others do. Different strokes, I guess.

I'm from the mountain west originally, so no east coast/west coast bias here--just pure straight-up bias agains the pacific northwest. 100% of people from Seattle act like you're fucking up their city just by being in it. And fuck a state where you can't pump your own gas.
Last edited by Renzo on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogart

Postby bogart » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Renzo wrote:
Renzo wrote:And I'm not sure how you'd decide what city is the friendliest, but I have been to some unfriendly cities (I'm looking at you, Portland and Seattle), and NYC is not one.

I find this hilarious, but I think it's indicative of East Coast-West Coast cultural differences more than anything. Portland and Seattle have reputations as two of the friendliest cities in the U.S.; NYC, not so much. I used to live in Portland and have spent time in NYC, and I find Portland far friendlier. I wouldn't expect New Yorkers to agree, though. Why? I think that people who've spent significant time in a place like New York have objectively different standards of friendliness than others do. Different strokes, I guess.

I'm from the mountain west originally, so no east coast/west coast bias here--just pure straight-up bias agains the pacific northwest. 100% of people from Seattle act like you're fucking up their city just by being in it. And fuck a state where you can't pump your own gas.[/quote]

Subtle anti-jersey trolling.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:51 am

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:41 pm

mths wrote:But yes, the food is amazing and there are regular crazies every few blocks so that keeps things fresh.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/84-mil ... k-c,18003/

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:16 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:i love the place, but new york has a population of 9 million people and still manages to have the least number of normal people of any city on the planet. it is essentially a 24 hour freak show -- you can see every deformity that has ever afflicted anyone on a single subway ride.

qfneverbeentosanfrancisco

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 pm

rayiner wrote:
paratactical wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:People who live in New York Cirty think everybody wants to live in New York City. Thread.

FTFY

I mean at the end of the day this is my problem with it. I don't begrudge people who want the bustle and activity if New York. Some people are genuinely energized by the crowd and all the things to do. What irks me is that some people cannot comprehend that others might prefer something else. That they might prefer a clean, quiet and spacious neighborhood with a view of a lake. A huge part of the country would not want to live in NY (the hippies in Portland, the down to earth Midwesterners in Chicago). The people who want it... already live there.

+10000 to this.

I like NYC. I think it's vibrant and fun and exciting. But it's not a city I particular have any burning desire to live in (I personally love DC and find NYC to be a bit dirty for my tastes). And what drives me up a wall is dealing with New Yorkers who just can't comprehend why everyone outside of NYC isn't on the verge of killing themselves because they have to settle for a crap city instead of the glory that is NYC. (And listening to them talk about what crap everything else is in comparison to NYC - that's the real treat.)

/personalpetpeeve

goldeneagle

Postby goldeneagle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Didn't see you already posted the link Kronk. hilarious

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:14 pm

I live in the fucking hinterlands of CT and don't blink at taking car service home. Fuck em.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:32 pm

I was accepted into Brooklyn in NYC. I think I will be attending Santa Clara in CA instead. One of my chief concerns was humidity I have asthma and I have heard that NYC is one of the worse places to live for these kind of issues.

This sounds really stupid to a lot of people, but try worrying about breathing for a few months a year.

So what is summer, fall and spring like?? Humid and nasty?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:33 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I was accepted into Brooklyn in NYC. I think I will be attending Santa Clara in CA instead. One of my chief concerns was humidity I have asthma and I have heard that NYC is one of the worse places to live for these kind of issues.

This sounds really stupid to a lot of people, but try worrying about breathing for a few months a year.

The air quality is poor, obviously. Right now in NYC it's humid as fuuuuuuck.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 pm

PKSebben wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I was accepted into Brooklyn in NYC. I think I will be attending Santa Clara in CA instead. One of my chief concerns was humidity I have asthma and I have heard that NYC is one of the worse places to live for these kind of issues.

The air quality is poor, obviously. Right now in NYC it's humid as fuuuuuuck.

I would probably swing it for a hire ranked school like Fordham, or T 14. Brooklyn not worth it to suffer?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 pm

95% of people in this thread apparently have never set foot anywhere in NYC outside of Manhattan below 96th Street.

It makes me want to slam my head against a wall every time someone goes to New York for a summer, works in Midtown, pays three grand a month to live in Kips Bay or something, eats shitty $15 burgers at P.J. Clarke's, and then leaves saying, "OMG New York is so crowded and dirty and overpriced!"

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:95% of people in this thread apparently have never set foot anywhere in NYC outside of Manhattan below 96th Street.

It makes me want to slam my head against a wall every time someone goes to New York for a summer, works in Midtown, pays three grand a month to live in Kips Bay or something, eats shitty $15 burgers at P.J. Clarke's, and then leaves saying, "OMG New York is so crowded and dirty and overpriced!"

Where else are you going to live? I've been looking for a reasonable place all summer and it's though. I work in midtown east, and the places within 30 minutes commuting distance are: upper east side (up to 125th or so), upper west side (up to 96th), long island city, sunnyside, brooklyn (out to about nevins), and greenpoint-ish. Yes I've timed all these.

The upper west side is the nicest/cleanest of all the places. Sunnyside is all prewar construction, long island city is an industrial wasteland, greenpoint should be a superfund site, and brooklyn doesn't get nice until past nevins. And the upper east side above 96th... I mean, c'mon.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:23 pm

lol @ the rest of new york not being dirty.

Return to “Legal Employment”