Why do people favor NYC firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 am

sanetruth wrote:But do you really want to live in Jersey?

Jersey doesn't want to live in Jersey.

Polycarp

Postby Polycarp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Polycarp wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Polycarp wrote:I have to say that the negative stereotypes exhibited here about New York are surprising, to say the least, considering that this isn't some random teenage forum. Also that view is more towards 10-15m. Five million gets you a really nice studio, but not in that building.

Much better views, however, such as those overlooking skyscraper filled artificial canyons, are significantly cheaper. You can look at trees anywhere in the world, but the diverse and imposing architecture of the City is unique.

I feel like random teenagers would be much more at home in most of lower Manhattan than grownups...

And skyscraper-filled canyons are hardly unique to NYC. Chicago has fewer skyscrapers, obviously since it's a smaller city, and in the late 1800s it was Chicago that was home to the first American skyscraper construction. Given the uniformly wide streets, Chicago's skyscrapers tend to integrate better with the sidewalks below, and the presence of the lake makes for some spectacular views that I'd take over a park view any day of the week.
Best of all, you can actually afford places with gorgeous views in Chicago...

I meant the immaturity of the comments. These stereotypes seem to be coming off a cartoon rather than reality. This isn't 1980. New York is a clean, well maintained, completely safe city. Rude people? Give me a break, people are the same everywhere.
Yes, Chicago also has some spectacular examples of turn of the century architecture. However, the diversity of imposing architecture present in NY is unmatched worldwide. Some, on the other hand, prefer consistency of style over diversity, then Chicago is more appealing.

immature? Because people are saying the things they saw in NYC? The only immaturity I see is someone who clearly has never left NYC. No, nyc is not clean compared to other cities. No, people are not the same everywhere. No, much of New York is not safe compared to other places. Yes, NYC has absurd cost of living. If you can't accept these facts you are either ignorant or just a blind homer.

Evidently you have never been to New York. Yes, living in other cities is cheap, I've been to San Francisco and rent is laughably low there. I have not stated anything related to the cost of living, I am perfectly aware that the rest of the country offers very affordable alternatives. The biggest genuine downside to living in New York is the brutality of the heat and humidity combination in the summer, which is something that nobody is mentioning here, while instead focusing on generalizations from 30 years ago. This further undermines their credibility and suggests to me that they've never been here.

It appears that some of those that criticize New York on stereotypical grounds hail from detached from reality suburbs for whom witnessing a city is a culture shock. I've been to Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, SF, Washington and many others, including small towns like Orlando, San Diego, Denver. I found people to be equally generally nice everywhere and cities to be quite clean on an equal level. The smaller towns are cleaner, but the difference isn't substantial enough to complain about. If you're coming from a village, then, obviously, it is going to be a shocking experience, but not for people that live in other big cities.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Polycarp wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Polycarp wrote:
rayiner wrote:I feel like random teenagers would be much more at home in most of lower Manhattan than grownups...

And skyscraper-filled canyons are hardly unique to NYC. Chicago has fewer skyscrapers, obviously since it's a smaller city, and in the late 1800s it was Chicago that was home to the first American skyscraper construction. Given the uniformly wide streets, Chicago's skyscrapers tend to integrate better with the sidewalks below, and the presence of the lake makes for some spectacular views that I'd take over a park view any day of the week.

I meant the immaturity of the comments. These stereotypes seem to be coming off a cartoon rather than reality. This isn't 1980. New York is a clean, well maintained, completely safe city. Rude people? Give me a break, people are the same everywhere.
Yes, Chicago also has some spectacular examples of turn of the century architecture. However, the diversity of imposing architecture present in NY is unmatched worldwide. Some, on the other hand, prefer consistency of style over diversity, then Chicago is more appealing.

immature? Because people are saying the things they saw in NYC? The only immaturity I see is someone who clearly has never left NYC. No, nyc is not clean compared to other cities. No, people are not the same everywhere. No, much of New York is not safe compared to other places. Yes, NYC has absurd cost of living. If you can't accept these facts you are either ignorant or just a blind homer.

Evidently you have never been to New York. Yes, living in other cities is cheap, I've been to San Francisco and rent is laughably low there. I have not stated anything related to the cost of living, I am perfectly aware that the rest of the country offers very affordable alternatives. The biggest genuine downside to living in New York is the brutality of the heat and humidity combination in the summer, which is something that nobody is mentioning here, while instead focusing on generalizations from 30 years ago. This further undermines their credibility and suggests to me that they've never been here.

It appears that some of those that criticize New York on stereotypical grounds hail from detached from reality suburbs for whom witnessing a city is a culture shock. I've been to Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, SF, Washington and many others, including small towns like Orlando, San Diego, Denver. I found people to be equally generally nice everywhere and cities to be quite clean on an equal level. The smaller towns are cleaner, but the difference isn't substantial enough to complain about. If you're coming from a village, then, obviously, it is going to be a shocking experience, but not for people that live in other big cities.

I've spent quite a bit of time in NYC and this is utterly and completely false. Literally there is no way you can believe these things. I can now firmly call flame.

Polycarp

Postby Polycarp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm

transferguy wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
rayiner wrote:Did you realize your streets are covered with piles of trash? Is this the cost of preftige?

Thankfully, those aren't my streets, I live in the burbs. Lolz at people who live in MFH though. I don't go to the Met, so fuck it, I'll live out a bit.

Can you give a list of credited burbs to live in? I'm going to be working in NYC in the fall and I absolutely hate all of the boroughs and am totally seeking a suburb if I can find a decent one with a reasonable commute.

Half of Queens is basically an urban suburb. Staten Island is almost entirely suburban in nature. Except that the train is always nearby. I've randomly clicked somewhere in the middle of Queens and there you go:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=brooklyn& ... 5&t=h&z=17

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Can you really harp on NY heat and humidity if you've been to D.C. in the summer? I think not.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you really harp on NY heat and humidity if you've been to D.C. in the summer? I think not.

At their worst, they're the same. Unfortunately, the worst is usually 2 weeks in NYC and 2 1/2 months in DC.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Polycarp wrote:Evidently you have never been to New York. Yes, living in other cities is cheap, I've been to San Francisco and rent is laughably low there.

lolno. You must only know people in rent controlled apartments or else the Sunset/Richmond.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Apropos of this thread: UBS is moving back to NYC from CT because they decided that being in Samford was a recruiting liability.

People, on average, like living in New York.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Renzo wrote:Apropos of this thread: UBS is moving back to NYC from CT because they decided that being in Samford was a recruiting liability.

Hold on a second. Are you saying that people whose career goal was to work in New York like New York? Whoa.

I'm sure this isn't true for other major urban areas.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Renzo wrote:Apropos of this thread: UBS is moving back to NYC from CT because they decided that being in Samford was a recruiting liability.

Hold on a second. Are you saying that people whose career goal was to work in New York like New York? Whoa.

What; it's not like there's a bunch of people just flocking to some random city in California hoping to make it into the movie business, after all.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Renzo wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

What; it's not like there's a bunch of people just flocking to some random city in California hoping to make it into the movie business, after all.

Got to go where the jobs are. I can certainly tell you that if I was at median I'd spend the vast majority of my bids on NYC despite the fact that I don't want to live in NYC.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Got to go where the jobs are. I can certainly tell you that if I was at median I'd spend the vast majority of my bids on NYC despite the fact that I don't want to live in NYC.

I understand that there are people with this outlook. However, one big answer to the question, "why do people want to live in NYC?" is "people want to live in NYC." Some people would rather do the same work in a cheaper/quieter/less stinky location, and I realize this. But firms and banks alike have discovered that more people than not in those industries like living in New York. That's why Goldman failed to convince traders to move across the river to NJ, and why UBS can't convince them to move to Samford (and ask David Boies about his popular Armonk office).

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Renzo wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Got to go where the jobs are. I can certainly tell you that if I was at median I'd spend the vast majority of my bids on NYC despite the fact that I don't want to live in NYC.

I understand that there are people with this outlook. However, one big answer to the question, "why do people want to live in NYC?" is "people want to live in NYC." Some people would rather do the same work in a cheaper/quieter/less stinky location, and I realize this. But firms and banks alike have discovered that more people than not in those industries like living in New York. That's why Goldman failed to convince traders to move across the river to NJ, and why UBS can't convince them to move to Samford (and ask David Boies about his popular Armonk office).

I don't know. Goldman can't convince traders to move to NJ because of prestige, not really because they want to live in NYC. I'd gladly move to NYC for a number of jobs, but if I could do that job in Columbus I would. That's why you see this with a lot of consultants (senior, not direct out of ugrad). Many live nowhere near their offices that they are technically working out of.

I'm not saying there aren't people who want to live in NYC, but many move there because of opportunity, not because it's where they want to be.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:05 am

Polycarp wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Polycarp wrote:
rayiner wrote:I feel like random teenagers would be much more at home in most of lower Manhattan than grownups...

I'm typing this from NYC.

First, the "cost is no object" argument is laughable. The proper way to measure a city is not how nice it is for people raking in $1m a year, but how nice it is for the broad spectrum of people.

Second, nobody who has lived in non-NYC cities could argue that it's equally as clean or that people are equally as nice. NYC is filthy compared to other first-world cities (and some third-world ones). Population density is no excuse - Tokyo is pristine. It's just that New Yorkers don't give a shit about their urban environment. They throw their waste just on top of the trash bags on the street, litter everywhere, etc. Chicago is way cleaner at every level, and it's not exactly a small city...

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 am

rayiner wrote:

I'm typing this from NYC.

First, the "cost is no object" argument is laughable. The proper way to measure a city is not how nice it is for people raking in $1m a year, but how nice it is for the broad spectrum of people.

Second, nobody who has lived in non-NYC cities could argue that it's equally as clean or that people are equally as nice. NYC is filthy compared to other first-world cities (and some third-world ones). Population density is no excuse - Tokyo is pristine. It's just that New Yorkers don't give a shit about their urban environment. They throw their waste just on top of the trash bags on the street, litter everywhere, etc. Chicago is way cleaner at every level, and it's not exactly a small city...

I live in NYC, and I love it. I also hate pretty much every other big city in America (except maybe Chicago from April-October). But the city stinks. It stinks bad, like rotting garbage, all summer long. Clean is not a word anyone who has spent any time here would use to describe it. Friendly? You bet. Safe? Probably safer than your small town. Vibrant? Exciting? Without a doubt. But not clean; no way, no how.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

Renzo wrote:Friendly? You bet. Safe? Probably safer than your small town.

I was with you until this. There is absolutely no fucking way NYC is safer than the small town I grew up in. You'd have to be batshit insane to believe that. And while parts of NYC can be friendly, it is not anywhere near one of the friendliest cites in the US.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 am

paratactical wrote:
Renzo wrote:Friendly? You bet. Safe? Probably safer than your small town.

I was with you until this. There is absolutely no fucking way NYC is safer than the small town I grew up in. You'd have to be batshit insane to believe that. And while parts of NYC can be friendly, it is not anywhere near one of the friendliest cites in the US.

Depends what small town, and by what measure. My parents live in a small town, and if you count all violent crime, I'm sure per capita it's more dangerous (although all the violence is either domestic, or related to meth, or both). I'm not saying it's the hands-down safest city on the planet, but it's really, really safe.

And I'm not sure how you'd decide what city is the friendliest, but I have been to some unfriendly cities (I'm looking at you, Portland and Seattle), and NYC is not one.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:18 am

Oh good, a thread to remind me of why I don't want to live in NYC....a city I'm going to have to bid on at OCI. :|

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:19 am

Polycarp wrote:I've been to . . . small towns like Orlando, San Diego, Denver.
Srsly? San Diego, California? The eighth-largest city in the United States? You cannot be serious.

I found people to be equally generally nice everywhere and cities to be quite clean on an equal level. The smaller towns are cleaner, but the difference isn't substantial enough to complain about.
I think you might just be numb (acclimated) to the conditions in NYC. I haven't been to Orlando, but Denver and San Diego are so much cleaner than Manhattan/The Bronx that I can't see any rational outsider agreeing with your statement.

Also...
Renzo wrote:And I'm not sure how you'd decide what city is the friendliest, but I have been to some unfriendly cities (I'm looking at you, Portland and Seattle), and NYC is not one.
I find this hilarious, but I think it's indicative of East Coast-West Coast cultural differences more than anything. Portland and Seattle have reputations as two of the friendliest cities in the U.S.; NYC, not so much. I used to live in Portland and have spent time in NYC, and I find Portland far friendlier. I wouldn't expect New Yorkers to agree, though. Why? I think that people who've spent significant time in a place like New York have objectively different standards of friendliness than others do. Different strokes, I guess.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:23 am

People want to live in New York. Thread.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am

flexityflex86 wrote:People want to live in New York. Thread.

People also want the latest Beiber album.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:08 am

flexityflex86 wrote:People who live in New York Cirty think everybody wants to live in New York City. Thread.

FTFY

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 am

On average, for some types of legal work, firms in NYC provide superior training and offer a brand name that keeps open many doors in the long run. These doors range from public interest, government, in-house positions, to positions in other firms in other markets. Other firms in other markets have no trouble taking such lawyers because they recognize the brand.

The vast majority of associates who enter these NYC megafirms already have their own end-date. They know when they plan to leave before they even set foot in the door. I know quite a few who already have the date circled in their calendars. They're just eagerly crossing out days until that date comes.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:16 am

paratactical wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:People who live in New York Cirty think everybody wants to live in New York City. Thread.

FTFY

I mean at the end of the day this is my problem with it. I don't begrudge people who want the bustle and activity if New York. Some people are genuinely energized by the crowd and all the things to do. What irks me is that some people cannot comprehend that others might prefer something else. That they might prefer a clean, quiet and spacious neighborhood with a view of a lake. A huge part of the country would not want to live in NY (the hippies in Portland, the down to earth Midwesterners in Chicago). The people who want it... already live there.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:18 am

rayiner wrote:
paratactical wrote:

FTFY

I mean at the end of the day this is my problem with it. I don't begrudge people who want the bustle and activity if New York. Some people are genuinely energized by the crowd and all the things to do. What irks me is that some people cannot comprehend that others might prefer something else. That they might prefer a clean, quiet and spacious neighborhood with a view of a lake. A huge part of the country would not want to live in NY (the hippies in Portland, the down to earth Midwesterners in Chicago). The people who want it... already live there.

Maybe it's just my ADD speaking, but serene environments are unbearably boring.

Return to “Legal Employment”