Why do people favor NYC firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Why do people favor NYC firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:00 pm

We're responding to the conventional wisdom among NYC folks that NYC is TEH AWESOMEST PLACE EVAR
Yeah, that's not conventional wisdom. That's just a bunch of people, like you, who overhear others bragging about the city and generalizing about NYC. I don't know a single person here who is 100% satisfied with this place. I'm sure as hell not.

But yes, this thread has devolved into whining. Even you concede that NYCers conceded a few pages ago, "to each their own." By that rationale, you're just beating a dead horse at this point.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
We're responding to the conventional wisdom among NYC folks that NYC is TEH AWESOMEST PLACE EVAR
Yeah, that's not conventional wisdom. That's just a bunch of people, like you, who overhear others bragging about the city and generalizing about NYC. I don't know a single person here who is 100% satisfied with this place. I'm sure as hell not.

But yes, this thread has devolved into whining. Even you concede that NYCers conceded a few pages ago, "to each their own." By that rationale, you're just beating a dead horse at this point.
It's what we do, bro.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 pm

alumniguy wrote:Whether a car is a necessity or a luxury, it is a transportation cost. Maybe you guys would chalk it up to a hobby cost, I'm not sure. Regardless, yet again the original statement that TRANSPORTATION COSTS IN NYC ARE LESS THAN OTHER CITIES AND THEREFORE YOU CAN SPEND MORE MONEY ON HOUSING is completely correct. I mean this is true when you compare any big city to a smaller city - be that in Boston, Chicago, San Fran, etc. You'll pay more money to be in places that allow you to enjoy urban environments without cars.
If a guy at Kirkland buys a car to impress some chicks and only drives it on the weekend, is it really a transportation cost? Maybe. I see plenty of BMW's driving around NYC too FWIW.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:05 pm

LOL@impressing girls with a BMW. With the attitude NYC women have, you need a Masarati to pull that shit off.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:06 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:LOL@impressing girls with a BMW. With the attitude NYC women have, you need a Masarati to pull that shit off.
Sounds like someone is going after Jersey girls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:06 pm

paratactical wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:LOL@impressing girls with a BMW. With the attitude NYC women have, you need a Masarati to pull that shit off.
Hey now... are these NYC girls worth the Masarati? Hell no. But they certainly strut around here like they are.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Hey now... are these NYC girls worth the Masarati? Hell no. But they certainly strut around here like they are.
Eh... most of them aren't, but if you want to make a strong pro-NYC argument, I think the number of solid 9s in NYC is probably one of the best to make.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:13 pm

paratactical wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Eh... most of them aren't, but if you want to make a strong pro-NYC argument, I think the number of solid 9s in NYC is probably one of the best to make.
I really don't think there are that many when you remove all the make-up. But yes, better than most metropolitan areas. There's something to be said, though, for the midwest humility and the Southern CGWBTs.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm tagging this shit so people stop linking me to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm

The thing I notice the most about women in this city is that they're oddly dressed. Like, many can pull it off but it still looks weird.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote: I really don't think there are that many when you remove all the make-up. But yes, better than most metropolitan areas. There's something to be said, though, for the midwest humility and the Southern CGWBTs.
Yeah, but those girls are more likely to get more raggedy at an earlier age. Because of how pushed back marriage age is in NYC, chicks work harder to stay hotter for longer.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm

paratactical wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Solid female 9s. The men are not so attractive...though they do tend to take care of themselves for the most part.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:16 pm

paratactical wrote:
paratactical wrote:
I agree with this. NYC has some attractive people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:17 pm

dresden doll wrote:The thing I notice the most about women in this city is that they're oddly dressed. Like, many can pull it off but it still looks weird.
No, NYC women are just well dressed and it's a very fashion conscious city. DC is too institutionalized. Chicago is too cold for that stuff to take hold. No one cares about fashion in the South. And the West is filled with hippies who hate that stuff. LA is probably the closest to NYC in terms of fashion-forwardness. And NYC still pales in comparison to other major fashion centers like Paris.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:18 pm

dresden doll wrote:The thing I notice the most about women in this city is that they're oddly dressed. Like, many can pull it off but it still looks weird.
No, NYC women are just well dressed and it's a very fashion conscious city. DC is too institutionalized. Chicago is too cold for that stuff to take hold. No one cares about fashion in the South. And the West is filled with hippies who hate that stuff. LA is probably the closest to NYC in terms of fashion-forwardness. And NYC still pales in comparison to other major fashion centers like Paris.
I'm very into fashion and I nonetheless find some of the dressing styles I encounter on the street fairly odd.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Note to men: In Atlanta, chicks are impressed if you have a $20k Ford Mustang.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
paratactical wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
Yes I did. But I know several biglaw associates that I graduated with who all have cars.
Wait, you mean people in the higher brackets of income earners choose to have a car? WHY BY GOLLY.
By Golly - way to avoid the issue. Choose to have a car or not, those people are spending more on transportation than NYC dwellers - who almost universally choose not to have a car because public transportation is perfectly adequate and/or cabs are cheap.
I'm sure it is entirely based on the adequacy of public transportation and not at all related to the exorbitant cost of having a car in NYC.
Remind me to put an extra shot in your drink tonight for this CR, honey.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:
I'm very into fashion and I nonetheless find some of the dressing styles I encounter on the street fairly odd.
Haha. No offense, but when a non-NYCer tells me they're very into fashion, I'll usually need pictures to verify. The number of times I've heard people say that, while it not being at all true, is too high to count.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Con: when the men are too fashion forward it makes it hard for me to determine sexual orientation.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:23 pm

D-hops wrote:
Con: when the men are too fashion forward it makes it hard for me to determine sexual orientation.
Eh, it depends. It's not that hard for men here to be well dressed while not being metro or gay. Simply, it just involves wearing well fitted slacks/jeans with a well fitted shirt, and maybe some classy shoes (I always go for boat shoes). Pretty heterosexual, and a clear departure from the raggedy tshirt and jeans you see in other cities.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote: Haha. No offense, but when a non-NYCer tells me they're very into fashion, I'll usually need pictures to verify. The number of times I've heard people say that, while it not being at all true, is too high to count.
This is why I left NYC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:25 pm

paratactical wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote: Haha. No offense, but when a non-NYCer tells me they're very into fashion, I'll usually need pictures to verify. The number of times I've heard people say that, while it not being at all true, is too high to count.
This is why I left NYC.
Actually, that post was a lie so I could avoid outing myself. But screw it. Dresden Doll, I've met you and, while I love you to death, you're not fashionable.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:25 pm

paratactical wrote:
This is why I left NYC.
Actually, that post was a lie so I could avoid outing myself. But screw it. Dresden Doll, I've met you and, while I love you to death, you're not fashionable.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 pm

All of this rabblerabblerabble, I'd like to point out that, even if Chicago and NYC were exactly equal in every other way, the 1st-year associate in NYC pays about $10k more in taxes than the first-year in Chicago, even accounting for the newly raised IL income tax.

You all can keep your vibrant nightlife. I'll keep my extra cash.

(In before the guy-from-Texas comes in and trumps the Chicago card.)

Edit:

According to paycheckcity (admittedly a very rough estimate) for a first-year at $160k + 7.5k bonus, after-tax pay:

Chicago: $113,317
NYC: $104,084
Texas: $121,692
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mebeSajid

Bronze

Post by mebeSajid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:34 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
(In before the guy-from-Texas comes in and trumps the Chicago card.)
He can't. He lives in Texas.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”