Working two summer jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
a male human

Working two summer jobs?

Postby a male human » Wed May 11, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm a first year, and recently accepted an offer to do work that's in line with what I want to do eventually (IP). The times are flexible and is done remotely. But I have an interview coming up at a family court an hour away, which I don't have an interest in (doing clinical and judicial work for family law issues). I'm strongly considering canceling the interview so maybe someone else can take my spot, because I don't see it being in line with my goals.

I think it's unlikely that working two summer jobs will give me an edge in future interviews. Wouldn't a summer position that's relevant to the IP jobs I will be applying for in the future be beneficial already, and wouldn't working a full-time job on top of that be greatly diminished returns? I could use the extra time to do a better job on the remote assignments and get a good reference while building up relevant skills. Yet it's hard for me to let go of an opportunity that presented itself. Is the possibility of a miniscule boost to (or crowding up) my resume worth the trip and interview, when I know I'm not interested in the work?

mythosopher

Re: Working two summer jobs?

Postby mythosopher » Wed May 11, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm a just-done-with-1L, but my impression from others here is that 1L summer jobs are basically just something to talk about to employers for 2L summer interviews. I personally am not convinced you'd get any boost from the family law job, but that's just MHO.

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Wed May 11, 2011 9:43 pm

I have a full time policy job and am doing a part time remote PI job to hopefully add some more legally focused work to my resume. If the clerkship was something you're interested in or if you think the connections you'd make there are worth the extra effort, then go for it. Otherwise, you're probably better off focusing on your current position and taking some time to recoup after your first year.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed May 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Agreed with the sentiments here. I just told her I was withdrawing.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:40 am

I'm doing two, but one of them is teaching the LSAT at the local Kaplan center at night...AKA just in case summer stipends don't come through.

Return to “Legal Employment”