Multi-City Firms For OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Multi-City Firms For OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 2:56 pm

What's the best way to apply for multiple locations within one firm that comes for OCI? For instance, one firm has multiple offices and is interviewing for all of them - how would you handle the question of why you want to work in a different location but are OK with the city your school is in?

conn09

Silver

Re: Multi-City Firms For OCI

Post by conn09 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Depends. For the smaller markets, don't even mention it and apply independently of OCI.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed May 11, 2011 5:28 pm

To tag onto your question, since it might be related:

Some firms allow split summers between offices, does asking for a split affect your changes?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Firms may (and likely do) specify if they will allow multiple interviews, or if you need to pick one office to interview with. Ask your OCS.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Cupidity wrote:To tag onto your question, since it might be related:

Some firms allow split summers between offices, does asking for a split affect your changes?
Maybe. I'd wait until I had an offer to bring it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed May 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Renzo wrote:
Cupidity wrote:To tag onto your question, since it might be related:

Maybe. I'd wait until I had an offer to bring it up.
Thank you

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 5:35 pm

OP here, I guess I should specify. In a major market, T1 school but not T14, we have a lot of firms for OCI that are interviewing for the local market, but also for other markets that they have offices.

I'm wondering how to address the "other markets" thing since I don't have ties to some of them. I don't want them to feel like I am flight risk, but at the same time I'd enjoy working in another city. But I also wouldn't mind working where I am.

How to balance the two, I guess. I don't want to scare off a firm that's interested for me in the local market just because I would also be willing to work in another location.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I guess I should specify. In a major market, T1 school but not T14, we have a lot of firms for OCI that are interviewing for the local market, but also for other markets that they have offices.

I'm wondering how to address the "other markets" thing since I don't have ties to some of them. I don't want them to feel like I am flight risk, but at the same time I'd enjoy working in another city. But I also wouldn't mind working where I am.

How to balance the two, I guess. I don't want to scare off a firm that's interested for me in the local market just because I would also be willing to work in another location.
Like I said, many of these firms will probably make you specify which office you are interviewing for before they interview you, so you won't have the opportunity to scare them off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I guess I should specify. In a major market, T1 school but not T14, we have a lot of firms for OCI that are interviewing for the local market, but also for other markets that they have offices.

Like I said, many of these firms will probably make you specify which office you are interviewing for before they interview you, so you won't have the opportunity to scare them off.
So if they say that one application covers all the offices, then they still make you specify?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:

So if they say that one application covers all the offices, then they still make you specify?
It will depend of the firm, that's why I advise you to ask your OCS. Some firms only want you to apply for one office, others will consider you separately at each office. My school notes each firm's preference in Symplicity, and I suspect your does something similar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 5:51 pm

So, as a general rule, if they come to the school looking for people for multiple offices, applying for multiple offices won't scare them off?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, as a general rule, if they come to the school looking for people for multiple offices, applying for multiple offices won't scare them off?
If they allow separate interviews for separate offices, I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for multiples; it's a sign that the offices take care of their own hiring individually.

If there is one interviewer who asks you, "what office(s) are you interested in?" I would answer with one office; it's better to be enthusiastic about one office than seem lukewarm about several.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, as a general rule, if they come to the school looking for people for multiple offices, applying for multiple offices won't scare them off?
There really isn't a general rule. You have to take this on a firm by firm basis.

E.g. - for some firms, you could have separate interviews with 2 different offices, get 2 separate call backs, and get 2 separate offers. Other firms you will have 1 interview for multiple offices and get 1 callback to one of the offices. And other firms will require you to specify which office you are applying to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Wed May 11, 2011 10:53 pm

In my opinion, the multiple offices at OCI thing is a joke. I think TCR is to apply directly to the office you're interested in.

For example, Jones Day came to my OCI advertising multiple offices, and I chose to interview for an office not in my school's market (when JD has an office in said market). The interviewers blatantly did not take it seriously, with one fooling around on her iPhone the entire time. If you're not aware- JD is a firm that stresses its "one firm worldwide" thing more than any.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 am

2LLLL wrote:In my opinion, the multiple offices at OCI thing is a joke. I think TCR is to apply directly to the office you're interested in.

For example, Jones Day came to my OCI advertising multiple offices, and I chose to interview for an office not in my school's market (when JD has an office in said market). The interviewers blatantly did not take it seriously, with one fooling around on her iPhone the entire time. If you're not aware- JD is a firm that stresses its "one firm worldwide" thing more than any.

I kind of agree with this. When you're in an interview, the only office you should talk about is the office the associate or partner is from. Otherwise, I've noticed that they are really disinterested.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”