Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby TUP » Wed May 11, 2011 4:03 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby ResolutePear » Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 pm

TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.


I've seen Doc Review and PCP. PCP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DocReview

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby vamedic03 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Renzo wrote:No one who can actually get into medical school would go to law school.


BS. There are plenty of people who strongly dislike health care and choose law school instead.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 4:09 pm

TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.


doesn't PCP pay as well as big laws? @ a much relaxed work load? and u just mentioned they can not get enuf ppl to fill PCP?

i know, who on this board in their right mind would want a job like that?

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby TUP » Wed May 11, 2011 4:11 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.


I've seen Doc Review and PCP. PCP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DocReview


I'll have to take your word for it, although doing doc review seems more appealing than disimpactions and abscesses.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby ResolutePear » Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.


doesn't PCP pay as well as big laws? @ a much relaxed work load? and u just mentioned they can not get enuf ppl to fill PCP?

i know, who on this board in their right mind would want a job like that?


Well, it's true. That's why there's PA's.

Doctors gravitate towards specialties with higher pay and prestige.

Why be a PCP when you can be an oncologist and make twice as much? That's the problem.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby TUP » Wed May 11, 2011 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.


doesn't PCP pay as well as big laws? @ a much relaxed work load? and u just mentioned they can not get enuf ppl to fill PCP?

i know, who on this board in their right mind would want a job like that?


No on pay. And many PCPs feel the pressure to see 5+ patients/hour to keep the lights on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 4:17 pm

PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).[/quote]

It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.[/quote]

I've seen Doc Review and PCP. PCP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DocReview[/quote]

I'll have to take your word for it, although doing doc review seems more appealing than disimpactions and abscesses.[/quote]

everything's more appealing when u are making $15 dollar an hour.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby vamedic03 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.


doesn't PCP pay as well as big laws? @ a much relaxed work load? and u just mentioned they can not get enuf ppl to fill PCP?

i know, who on this board in their right mind would want a job like that?


It's not a relaxed work load. It's an incredibly heavy workload. Reimbursements have been steadily decreasing and there is a very high pressure for PCP's to have a high volume practice. Often times, busy PCPs are seeing multiple patients at once. Many are lucky to have a chance to sit down and eat lunch, let alone finish their charting during the day.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby TUP » Wed May 11, 2011 4:19 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:doesn't PCP pay as well as big laws? @ a much relaxed work load? and u just mentioned they can not get enuf ppl to fill PCP?

i know, who on this board in their right mind would want a job like that?


Well, it's true. That's why there's PA's.

Doctors gravitate towards specialties with higher pay and prestige.

Why be a PCP when you can be an oncologist and make twice as much? That's the problem.


The same reason not everyone scores 170+ on the LSAT.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby ResolutePear » Wed May 11, 2011 4:20 pm

TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:doesn't PCP pay as well as big laws? @ a much relaxed work load? and u just mentioned they can not get enuf ppl to fill PCP?

i know, who on this board in their right mind would want a job like that?


Well, it's true. That's why there's PA's.

Doctors gravitate towards specialties with higher pay and prestige.

Why be a PCP when you can be an oncologist and make twice as much? That's the problem.


The same reason not everyone scores 170+ on the LSAT.


It was a rhethorical question. :|

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Renzo wrote:No one who can actually get into medical school would go to law school.


No. Do you really believe this? They are very different fields, so naturally someone intellectually capable of succeeding in both could choose one or the other for reasons other than intellectual or academic competency.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 4:23 pm

TUP wrote:The lack of scholarships and resulting guarantee of extreme debt didn't help. Spending almost a decade trying to become a specialist only to bomb the step 1 and end up in primary care with insane debt also seemed to be a problem.


It's not a relaxed work load. It's an incredibly heavy workload. Reimbursements have been steadily decreasing and there is a very high pressure for PCP's to have a high volume practice. Often times, busy PCPs are seeing multiple patients at once. Many are lucky to have a chance to sit down and eat lunch, let alone finish their charting during the day.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

relaxed comparing to big law associates?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:27 pm

TUP wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TUP wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:PCP really isn't that bad at the end of the day. In fact, PCP is in demand(giggity).


It's in demand because not many non-foreign MDs want to do it. I think they struggle to fill PCP residencies.


doesn't PCP pay as well as big laws? @ a much relaxed work load? and u just mentioned they can not get enuf ppl to fill PCP?

i know, who on this board in their right mind would want a job like that?


No on pay. And many PCPs feel the pressure to see 5+ patients/hour to keep the lights on.

Is it really no on pay because a quick google search tells me that is incorrect. Pretty much every link I clicked on had PCP at 160-180k median salary.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealt ... licy/10850

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 4:28 pm

It's not a relaxed work load. It's an incredibly heavy workload. Reimbursements have been steadily decreasing and there is a very high pressure for PCP's to have a high volume practice. Often times, busy PCPs are seeing multiple patients at once. Many are lucky to have a chance to sit down and eat lunch, let alone finish their charting during the day


only if the worst a law school graduate can do is making 100k+ guaranteed busy doing doc review, imagine what this board would look like.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 11, 2011 4:29 pm

To OP: it sounds like you want Medicine, so by all means go for it. It will (in all likelihood) offer you a much surer bet in terms of job prospects upon graduation, and it sounds like you are more interested in medicine.

That said, I think the idealization of medicine on TLS is pretty funny. Being a doctor these days sucks pretty hard IMO; with the advent of managed care doctors have become so bogged-down with insurance issues and time-constraints that I think more and more of them are hating the job. It's not particularly glamorous or fulfilling IMO to have 15 minutes to meet with someone in a cubicle-sized room to try and manage symptoms using pharmocology.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273099
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Is it really no on pay because a quick google search tells me that is incorrect. Pretty much every link I clicked on had PCP at 160-180k median salary.

--LinkRemoved-- ... licy/10850


that's it? 160k median? no wonder they can't find ppl to do that. most law school graduates wouldn't bother piss at that kind of money...oh wait.

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby TUP » Wed May 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
TUP wrote:No on pay. And many PCPs feel the pressure to see 5+ patients/hour to keep the lights on.

Is it really no on pay because a quick google search tells me that is incorrect. Pretty much every link I clicked on had PCP at 160-180k median salary.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealt ... licy/10850


What's the median salary of all big law attorneys? And I didn't make the comparison, I just replied to it.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is it really no on pay because a quick google search tells me that is incorrect. Pretty much every link I clicked on had PCP at 160-180k median salary.

--LinkRemoved-- ... licy/10850


that's it? 160k median? no wonder they can't find ppl to do that. most law school graduates wouldn't bother piss at that kind of money...oh wait.



I would prob take those stats with a grain of salt... might be as good as reading the 160k private sector medians in the law school stats section of USNews.. I strongly doubt most PCPs make 160k, except perhaps in the biggest cities. And don't forget, med. students have several more years after their 4 years of med school where they make around 40k/year before getting to a higher salary (but these points are probably orthogonal to your argument direction).

Again, I think the idealization of medicine as a career on TLS is fairly humorous... It is true though that obviously there are some pretty compelling employment security advantages of choosing medicine.

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Rooney » Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 pm

“As for doctors, I was in this debate once with the head of the Harris County Medical Society, and it was being televised. He went off on lawyers; it was terrible. And the last couple or three minutes the moderator looked at me and said, ‘Mr. Jamail, I’m sorry he’s taken most of the time but you have thirty seconds if you’d like to respond.’ I said, ‘That’s more than enough time. I would like for you to remind the doctor, and I hope he doesn’t mind if I call him a doctor, I would like for you to remind him that when his professional ancestors were putting leeches on George Washington to bleed him, mine were writing the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.’ That ended that shit.” - Joe Jamail, arguably the most successful attorney in America

8)

jujujohn
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:40 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby jujujohn » Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 pm

i've had couple of lawyers telling me JD is a doctor degree and they are entitled to be referred to as "dr.xxx", i think they may wanted to have gone to med school instead.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Lawquacious » Wed May 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Rooney wrote:“As for doctors, I was in this debate once with the head of the Harris County Medical Society, and it was being televised. He went off on lawyers; it was terrible. And the last couple or three minutes the moderator looked at me and said, ‘Mr. Jamail, I’m sorry he’s taken most of the time but you have thirty seconds if you’d like to respond.’ I said, ‘That’s more than enough time. I would like for you to remind the doctor, and I hope he doesn’t mind if I call him a doctor, I would like for you to remind him that when his professional ancestors were putting leeches on George Washington to bleed him, mine were writing the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.’ That ended that shit.” - Joe Jamail, arguably the most successful attorney in America

8)

:lol:

We watched a depo he (Jamail) participated in at the beginning of my first semester LW class- it was pretty funny. He basically threatened to fight another guy in the depo. I think his nickname is King of Torts, but that he (ironically) got a D in torts class in law school.

stylishlaw
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby stylishlaw » Wed May 11, 2011 5:16 pm

I just googled stuff on Joe Jamail. Dude is a beast. Wow.

Is it safe to say that if I idolize him, I'm in the right career track?

The Insider
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby The Insider » Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm

I do want to pursue medicine, but I guess I'm just hesitant (for now), because it is a huge and pricey commitment. Now money-wise, is it generally true that most doctors make more than most lawyers, but "top" lawyers make more than most doctors? That link that someone inserted I believe was discussing the income of family doctors/practitioners, what about specialized doctors?

The thing with law is that I still enjoy it, but I am concerned about law practice. But I am extremely irritated by "lay-offs" and poor job market conditions, something I definitely do not want to be subject to as I know how irritating and hopeless it can be. Do lawyers ever have to worry about being laid off by megafirms?

TBF, when I stated 'I decided medicine is my calling' I meant that ostensibly; that is, I guess I am under the impression that I want to pursue it, but I was hoping to get reassurances where people can discuss the disadvantages and whether the costs outweigh the benefits, in the long-term. Thanks.
Last edited by The Insider on Wed May 11, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Medicine vs. Law - prospects?

Postby Renzo » Wed May 11, 2011 5:22 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Renzo wrote:No one who can actually get into medical school would go to law school.


BS. There are plenty of people who strongly dislike health care and choose law school instead.


Yeah. I'm one of them; I left a 10+ year healthcare career for law. No amount of money in the world could get me to go to medical school. But one or two outliers don't disprove the rule.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.