Female SA clothing - other than suits?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Female SA clothing - other than suits?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Procrastinating some more while I pack (ew). For females, what kind of attire, other than suits, is necessary for a summer associate gig? It seems like there's a lot of after work events and what not, but not quite sure how this works. Should I just be wearing clothes that work "day to evening" or should I have some conservative cocktail type attire? Quick responses appreciated so I can pack accordingly. :D

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Female SA clothing - other than suits?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Procrastinating some more while I pack (ew). For females, what kind of attire, other than suits, is necessary for a summer associate gig? It seems like there's a lot of after work events and what not, but not quite sure how this works. Should I just be wearing clothes that work "day to evening" or should I have some conservative cocktail type attire? Quick responses appreciated so I can pack accordingly. :D

Thanks.

if you can find something that fits the following, it's perfect.
1) women think it's cute and acceptable
2) men can't stop looking at you and will bend over backwards for you.

It's an old boys club. just a fact.
Skirt suits usually do the trick here. Well fitting blouses. Heels. For some reason old Atty's seem "turned off" by women that wear pants.

And when you aren't going full out suit, the skirt and blouse look is king.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 11, 2011 12:53 am

Please take this with a grain of salt as it is just an anecdote from a guy, but I've become more and more disenchanted with pant suits as I've gotten older and lived through 2 years of law school. Most look cheap and really make the woman look younger/immature/fashion incompetent. I'm sure there are some really nice fitting, more expensive pant suits out there that look good on the right person, but for the most part skirts just look way more classy and make women look more charismatic/mature/sure of themselves.

I know this is a lot to get out of a freaking pant suit, but it's just the impression I get now after having seen hundreds of different women in professional attire.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed May 11, 2011 3:07 am

A'nold wrote:Please take this with a grain of salt as it is just an anecdote from a guy, but I've become more and more disenchanted with pant suits as I've gotten older and lived through 2 years of law school. Most look cheap and really make the woman look younger/immature/fashion incompetent. I'm sure there are some really nice fitting, more expensive pant suits out there that look good on the right person, but for the most part skirts just look way more classy and make women look more charismatic/mature/sure of themselves.

I know this is a lot to get out of a freaking pant suit, but it's just the impression I get now after having seen hundreds of different women in professional attire.

A chic pantsuit can be done, but it's very hard to pull off well. Unless you can spend the money on a designer suit that fits you perfectly, IMO it's easier to look well dressed in a skirt suit.

Example: Theory suit:

ImageImage

This almost certainly breaks the bank. A skirt that fits well is easier to find, IMO, and there are fewer issues with tailoring (just don't get one with a ridiculous slit, and you're good.)

You really need to know how formal your firm is to answer this well, though. From what I've heard, it varies a lot, from business formal on down. I'm a fan of this kind of dress, with some type of over layer for daytime:

--ImageRemoved--

(I own this dress and think it's perfect for day to evening, with a sweater and flats/heels.) I would keep everything else neutral if you're going for all over color in a conservative environment, however.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:38 am

I must say that my biggest issue with pant suits are the fact that the pants are all wide leg pants. I have gotten out of the habit of wearing wide legged pants and moreover I think that they are not very flattering on me. I would definitely consider wearing a pant suit that had cigarette style pants a la Audrey Hepburn. I have a nice pair like that from the Gap but I have yet to find another pair that has the same skinny leg.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 11, 2011 1:10 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:Please take this with a grain of salt as it is just an anecdote from a guy, but I've become more and more disenchanted with pant suits as I've gotten older and lived through 2 years of law school. Most look cheap and really make the woman look younger/immature/fashion incompetent. I'm sure there are some really nice fitting, more expensive pant suits out there that look good on the right person, but for the most part skirts just look way more classy and make women look more charismatic/mature/sure of themselves.

A chic pantsuit can be done, but it's very hard to pull off well. Unless you can spend the money on a designer suit that fits you perfectly, IMO it's easier to look well dressed in a skirt suit.

Example: Theory suit:

ImageImage

This almost certainly breaks the bank. A skirt that fits well is easier to find, IMO, and there are fewer issues with tailoring (just don't get one with a ridiculous slit, and you're good.)

You really need to know how formal your firm is to answer this well, though. From what I've heard, it varies a lot, from business formal on down. I'm a fan of this kind of dress, with some type of over layer for daytime:

--ImageRemoved--

(I own this dress and think it's perfect for day to evening, with a sweater and flats/heels.) I would keep everything else neutral if you're going for all over color in a conservative environment, however.

It's good to know that my instincts were correct here as far as more expensive pant suits being o.k. but cheaper ones looking pretty crappy. That example of the "chic" business suit I agree would look great.

zcc2012

Postby zcc2012 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:45 pm

OS, where can I find that purple dress? LOVE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Female with large tattoo on calf. Can't wear skirts to the office unless I'm wearing extremely dark hose underneath to cover it up. Trying to get it removed (haven't found anyone who can do it yet!), but until then - it's pant suits or skirts with boots for me.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Just make sure you're not too pretty, else you'll get fired.

Return to “Legal Employment”