No offered, and no way out

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No offered, and no way out

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Failed a class (or got a D) at a school where no one fails. Will get no offered at both (borderline GPA will get killed). Too embarrassed to face anyone. Never felt this much shame or embarrassment, and it only keeps growing. I literally don't have the will to eat or sleep. Don't believe in an after life. Time to call it a ball game?

BlueDiamond

Re: No offered, and no way out

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

so wait.. did you fail? or did you get a D? or are you saying the world is ending before actually getting the grade?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Not sure, but given notice that I'm one or the other (we were notified). Don't find out which for a few days, but I don't it matters. I've never come close to feeling like this.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue May 10, 2011 7:06 pm

ok so I guess I'm still confused.. you got either a D or an F and think that will mean you will get no offered at a firm that you had summered at? or what? also.. if its an F.. do you have enough credits to graduate?

what school? what firm? class rank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 7:10 pm

rank under 10, above 20. Just above median (before failing). two biglaw firms. told that grades wouldn't matter unless "you know you fail of something, haha."

2L, so credits can be made up.

no way I can tell my parents, but no way I avoid it. I can't stay here another year. I feel like everyone will know in no time.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Failed a class (or got a D) at a school where no one fails. Will get no offered at both (borderline GPA will get killed). Too embarrassed to face anyone. Never felt this much shame or embarrassment, and it only keeps growing. I literally don't have the will to eat or sleep. Don't believe in an after life. Time to call it a ball game?

What? I'm sure this is just a ridiculously poor attempt at humor, but let's be very clear: it's most certainly not the time to call it a ball game. If you're actually contemplating suicide, please talk to somebody (not on TLS) right away. If that part was a misguided joke, make an appointment to speak with your dean of students and see what can be done.

Worse comes to worst, you may retake a course and you may miss the biglaw train - who cares? You'll be fine, it's just law school. In the grand scheme of things, this shit doesn't matter.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue May 10, 2011 7:13 pm

You should get off TLS ASAP. This shit will give you suicidal thoughts.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue May 10, 2011 7:13 pm

WTF did you do? At schools where "no one fails," failing an exam requires that you show up, spend a few minutes writing an answer to the first question, and then turn it in and leave. A good faith effort at taking the exam can't get you lower than a C. Unless you decided during the exam that you were sick of it and didn't want to finish, you shouldn't have gotten a D or F. Maybe there's been an error.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Tue May 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Go to your summer firm and kill it on the assignments they give you. If they are impressed with your work they probably won't be as concerned with your grades. You haven't been no-offerred yet, so take control of the factors you can control.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Don't do anything drastic OP. This may be something you can sort out, give it a few days and figure out the situation. For me, it's setting off alarm bells about suspected plagiarism. If that's the case (and you didn't do it) you should be able to sort it out. And it is not the end of the world even if you're stuck with the grade.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 pm

well first id find out if it is a D or F.. if its a D you didnt fail..

if youre at a school where "just above median" students are getting Biglaw SA offers then I'm sure you will be able to secure employment elsewhere even if your firm no offers you.. so all hope isnt lost even if you did fail

if youre a 2L that means youre going into your SA position in the near future im guessing.. so work your ass off

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Cavalier wrote:WTF did you do? At schools where "no one fails," failing an exam requires that you show up, spend a few minutes writing an answer to the first question, and then turn it in and leave. A good faith effort at taking the exam can't get you lower than a C. Unless you decided during the exam that you were sick of it and didn't want to finish, you shouldn't have gotten a D or F. Maybe there's been an error.

85% multiple choice with penalty for missing, tenured prof, mandatory high curve, and 3 nearly perfect scores = a failure and D's.

Way too many smart people in the class. I have no business being here.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue May 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:WTF did you do? At schools where "no one fails," failing an exam requires that you show up, spend a few minutes writing an answer to the first question, and then turn it in and leave. A good faith effort at taking the exam can't get you lower than a C. Unless you decided during the exam that you were sick of it and didn't want to finish, you shouldn't have gotten a D or F. Maybe there's been an error.

85% multiple choice with penalty for missing, tenured prof, mandatory high curve, and 3 nearly perfect scores = a failure and D's.

Way too many smart people in the class. I have no business being here.

This is all very confusing, the professor e-mailed you to tell you that you probably failed or at least a D? More details please?

Also, out the school and professor to warn future students please?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue May 10, 2011 7:54 pm

bport hopeful wrote:You should get off TLS ASAP. This shit will give you suicidal thoughts.

+1. TLS is about the worst thing for anyone's self esteem.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm

zomginternets wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:You should get off TLS ASAP. This shit will give you suicidal thoughts.

+1. TLS is about the worst thing for anyone's self esteem.

Well, if you're a hot chick and want to picwhore, we're actually quite accepting.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Kill it at your summer firm. There is a chance they won't even ask for a transcript.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 pm

keg411 wrote:Kill it at your summer firm. There is a chance they won't even ask for a transcript.

TCR. OP, don't write yourself off. You haven't even begun work. Even if grades do come up, make a case for them to take you anyways. Be a fighter, don't quit.
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Wed May 11, 2011 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PriyaRai

Postby PriyaRai » Tue May 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Sokolow's BA exam?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 pm

OP: more details please. (Like how you know your grade without knowing your grade.) Otherwise we're inclined to assume this is one of the worst troll attempts of "OMG I did shitty on a lawl school exam I thought it was hard" ever.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue May 10, 2011 9:25 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:well first id find out if it is a D or F.. if its a D you didnt fail..

if youre at a school where "just above median" students are getting Biglaw SA offers then I'm sure you will be able to secure employment elsewhere even if your firm no offers you.. so all hope isnt lost even if you did fail

if youre a 2L that means youre going into your SA position in the near future im guessing.. so work your ass off

many schools require a C- or up to "pass" a class.

jaxon05

Postby jaxon05 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm almost 100% sure I know what class this is.

OP, how were you notified? The grades aren't getting posted until tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
keg411 wrote:Kill it at your summer firm. There is a chance they won't even ask for a transcript.

TCR. Unless you're summering at GDC. OP, don't write yourself off. You haven't even begun work. Even if grades do come up, make a case for them to take you anyways. Be a fighter, don't quit. Quitters are pussies.

Even then, they still gave offers to 93% of their class last summer. Marginal work product PLUS awful grade dips seem to mean no-offer there.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

TCR. Unless you're summering at GDC. OP, don't write yourself off. You haven't even begun work. Even if grades do come up, make a case for them to take you anyways. Be a fighter, don't quit. Quitters are pussies.

Even then, they still gave offers to 93% of their class last summer. Marginal work product PLUS awful grade dips seem to mean no-offer there.

I was aiming for tongue-in-cheek, but this poaster is right. Grade slips happen. Sht, if grade slips necessarily meant no-offers, I have a feeling that offer rates across the board would he dramatically lower.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 pm

If your work product is good over the summer, no one will care about one grade. Grades are a proxy for ability to real work, so show them you can do real work and they won't need the proxy.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Tue May 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Unless it's GDC, you could still be fine. How were your other grades? If your cumulative is still about the same as when you were hired it'll probably still come down to your work product.

Return to “Legal Employment”