What is meant by "ties"?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jfb

Bronze

What is meant by "ties"??

Post by jfb » Tue May 10, 2011 12:59 pm

I often hear on TLS that you can get into a market outside of the region where your school typically places if you have "ties" to that area. What is meant by "ties" in this context? Connections? Family? Previous WE? Spending a summer during LS there? For example I've been told that I can get to CA from NU if I have ties. Clarification would be helpful.

vamedic03

Gold

Re: What is meant by "ties"??

Post by vamedic03 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 pm

This has been discussed incessantly for the past couple years. Please do a search first and then let us know if you still have questions.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Yes, everything you listed would be "ties." There's no deeper or hidden meaning here.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Anybody or any connection that can help you land a job. People who you know that may have, in their network, people that can help you in your job search.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue May 10, 2011 1:25 pm

There's this thing called a "search" function.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:35 pm

^^^
Sheesh with all the hostility. Yeah there's a search function, but not everyone posts 10,000 times per day or is an expert on how to use this site.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=104486

HTH, there's some good info in there

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue May 10, 2011 1:37 pm

You can get CA from NU even if you don't have ties. Just be sincere and have a good reason for why you want to be there (and have the grades of course).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:39 pm

swc65 wrote:Yeah there's a search function, but not everyone posts 10,000 times per day or is an expert on how to use this site.
Anybody who uses the internet should realize that the first thing you do when trying to find the answer to something is to use the damn search function, whether that is Google or just the local search function on a random internet forum.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue May 10, 2011 1:41 pm

bk187 wrote:
swc65 wrote:Yeah there's a search function, but not everyone posts 10,000 times per day or is an expert on how to use this site.
Anybody who uses the internet should realize that the first thing you do when trying to find the answer to something is to use the damn search function, whether that is Google or just the local search function on a random internet forum.
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm

swc65 wrote:^^^
Sheesh with all the hostility. Yeah there's a search function, but not everyone posts 10,000 times per day or is an expert on how to use this site.
+1. Relax people.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:33 pm

bk187 wrote:

Says the user with 10,000 posts in one year to the user with 230 posts in two years. we are all here to help, new members come in all the time and might have new opinions on the same old topics. Do we want people to use the site or do we want to be nasty until there are just a few frequent posters left?

OP

ties usually just means anything that will alleviate an employer's concern about you being a flight risk.

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Tue May 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:There's this thing called a "search" function.
1. 95% of this site consists of questions that have been answered and re-answered

2. Stop complaining because (1) exists because most people that post regularly on this site, you included, clearly have nothing better to do than answer and re-answer questions. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:00 pm

jfb wrote:I've been told that I can get to CA from NU if I have ties. Clarification would be helpful.
Good example of a California tie:
--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 pm

swc65 wrote:^^^

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=104486

HTH, there's some good info in there
If you're too dumb to know that most every forum will have a search function then maybe you shouldn't go to law school. HTH.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue May 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Cosmo Kramer wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:There's this thing called a "search" function.
1. 95% of this site consists of questions that have been answered and re-answered

2. Stop complaining because (1) exists because most people that post regularly on this site, you included, clearly have nothing better to do than answer and re-answer questions. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
You are soooo cool.
--ImageRemoved--

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Stanford4Me wrote: You are soooo cool.
says the guy who just had to be the second person to answer a question with "use the search function"

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue May 10, 2011 7:29 pm

seatown12 wrote:
says the guy who just had to be the second person to answer a question with "use the search function"
I know, I'm conceding that he (or she) is cooler than me....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Wed May 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
I know, I'm conceding that he (or she) is cooler than me....
You totally missed the point. I don't think it's "uncool" to post all the time, but telling people to use the search function on here instead of answering the question is like playing baseball everyday, but complaining whenever someone throws a ball at you.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed May 11, 2011 1:10 pm

this has quickly turned into a "my dick is bigger than your dick" contest where....oh crap, wrong thread

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm

C'mon people. Is it really that irksome to see somebody post, *gasp*, the SAME THING once in awhile? You could, you know, just not reply? But that wouldn't be ego boosting enough now, would it?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:49 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:this has quickly turned into a "my dick is bigger than your dick" contest where....oh crap, wrong thread

And that's different from every other thread??? LoL

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed May 11, 2011 1:50 pm

A'nold wrote:C'mon people. Is it really that irksome to see somebody post, *gasp*, the SAME THING once in awhile? You could, you know, just not reply? But that wouldn't be ego boosting enough now, would it?
No, I use this thread to make myself feel better about my life.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
A'nold wrote:C'mon people. Is it really that irksome to see somebody post, *gasp*, the SAME THING once in awhile? You could, you know, just not reply? But that wouldn't be ego boosting enough now, would it?
No, I use this thread to make myself feel better about my life.
Oh, o.k. :wink:

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed May 11, 2011 2:11 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
jfb wrote:I've been told that I can get to CA from NU if I have ties. Clarification would be helpful.
Good example of a California tie:
--ImageRemoved--
AHAHAHAHA 180

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”