advice for OCI/summer timeline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

advice for OCI/summer timeline

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

I am finished with finals, and waiting for grades currently (will not be out for a while). I was wondering about what I should be doing right now in preparation for the fall recruitment program. Any materials I should read, when do I start submitting mass mailings, should I apply to minority fairs, where/how should I network, etc.?

Overall, I am looking for any advice as to what I should be doing to prepare. I have median grades T20, a govt. summer job, and we don't find out about Law Review for a while although I am not optimistic (no activities, no moot/mock - basically need all help/advice I could use). I read through some other threads but they are specifically about interviewing days/bidding. I am being realistic but also trying to be proactive.

Kohinoor

Re: advice for OCI/summer timeline

Postby Kohinoor » Mon May 09, 2011 10:58 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:I am finished with finals, and waiting for grades currently (will not be out for a while). I was wondering about what I should be doing right now in preparation for the fall recruitment program. Any materials I should read, when do I start submitting mass mailings, should I apply to minority fairs, where/how should I network, etc.?

Overall, I am looking for any advice as to what I should be doing to prepare. I have median grades T20, a govt. summer job, and we don't find out about Law Review for a while although I am not optimistic (no activities, no moot/mock - basically need all help/advice I could use). I read through some other threads but they are specifically about interviewing days/bidding. I am being realistic but also trying to be proactive.

Are you a minority or independently wealthy?

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon May 09, 2011 11:14 pm

that bad huh :( I'm a female and only recently become a citizen, although I doubt that has any importance. I'm good at interviewing, but its obviously hard to get the interviews. Well, either way what would a candidate do? Mass mailings at beginning of June, are those too early? Contact alumni on LinkedIn? Anything...?

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue May 10, 2011 7:33 am

Figure out what you want to do. Seriously. If you are just looking for a job, employers can tell and it doesn't bode well if you aren't a candidate that can expect to get a job out of OCI easily (top of class at a top school).

Figure out some practice areas you might be interested in. Contact alumni (through your alumni network at school) and let them know that you are looking for career advice and would like to talk to the about their path and their practice. Do this asap so that you have some believability on this front. Do serious informational interviews. The more you learn about different firms and different practice groups, the better you will interview, and hopefully write cover letters. At the end of conversations, ask for recommendations of next steps and whether they know of anyone who would be willing to talk to you.

Use Chambers and the long form of the Vault guide to start researching firms. Read the commentaries from associates in Vault. It will give you and idea of you might be a fit some place. Don't limit yourself to V100 though. Look at the AmLaw list and start researching firms in markets you are interested in. Contact their HR people (not the hiring partner) to find out timelines. Follow directions on how to submit your resume. If there aren't directions, send it to the designated HR person and hiring partner listed on NALP.

If you are submitting by email, make sure your email address is professional, your subject line is clear, your email text is to the point, and that you have written a targeted cover letter that is easy to skim (the last point goes to paper submissions as well). Make sure your cover letter is targeted (and targeted does not mean that you just dropped their name into generic sentences).

If there is a market that you can/are planning on visiting, mention that in the last paragraph of your letter. Give them as specific of dates as possible. The chances that they will throw you an interview are higher if you are already going to be in town.

If you get an interview somewhere, try to leverage it into more. Contact other firms in the area you have the first interview (ones you've already sent materials to) and let them know you will be in town. It's a good way to to follow up and there is something to the idea that having an interview can make you a more attractive candidate.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue May 10, 2011 6:33 pm

great advice! thank you so much that was what I was looking for! I started looking at places and trying to figure out but for someone with no legal experience I had no idea where to start. Thanks again!

Return to “Legal Employment”