Law job without killer hours?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Re: Law job without killer hours?

Postby A'nold » Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Mroberts3 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Here's the thing. You could be working 30 hours a week in a "punch the timecard" kind of job and hate every minute of what you do. I worked as a low-level accountant, 40 hours a week and I looked at the clock hundreds of times a day. I hated every second being there. Middle management is the worst thing I've ever experienced in the real world. Have you ever been called into the boss' office to be yelled at for not stapling your invoices correctly? I have.

I would rather work 50 hours a week at a job where the time absolutely flies by and I feel like I'm doing something important than just being another corporate cog. It is the worst. I always thought I could just put in the hours and then enjoy my "free time." Not so. These horrible jobs permeated my entire life. All I could think about starting at 5:01 on Friday was that I would have to come back to the office at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, and then work till Friday. I felt like I was emotionally and intellectually dead.

Conclusion: I went to law school to do something I thought I would enjoy. So far, I am very happy with my decision.

Not surprising to me at all that A'nold has the best post in this thread.

Ignoring the specifics of exactly how much one works in what job, the problem with most of the posts here is that they talk about a job as a fungible asset. I've worked jobs where I looked at the clock all day and jobs where the time flew by -- A'nold is exactly right here because it makes a huge difference in your overall happiness.

OP, the point is that you should NOT avoid going to law school and take a shitty 9-5 job just because "the opportunity cost of law school is too high! -- you could make the same amount right now!" (Imagine me saying that in a whiny wannabe econ major voice). If you think you would enjoy being a lawyer, then go to law school. You can find jobs where you work mostly 9-5 and make a decent salary (especially since loans are not an issue).

Its true that people who are really engaged in their jobs often choose to work longer hours, but there is no logical reason why someone can't enjoy their 9-5 job and leave work at work.

To reiterate: anyone who starts blabbing about not going to law school because other jobs pay the same without the 3 years of education should be ignored (unless there are serious concerns about loan repayment). These people have clearly not worked in jobs they hated for an extended period of time.

This is actually one of the reasons that you can usually see me arguing with people about how 60k a year is not a bad salary. The majority of posters on here have never had meaningful post-grad work experience.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:15 pm

A'nold wrote:
Mroberts3 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Here's the thing. You could be working 30 hours a week in a "punch the timecard" kind of job and hate every minute of what you do. I worked as a low-level accountant, 40 hours a week and I looked at the clock hundreds of times a day. I hated every second being there. Middle management is the worst thing I've ever experienced in the real world. Have you ever been called into the boss' office to be yelled at for not stapling your invoices correctly? I have.

I would rather work 50 hours a week at a job where the time absolutely flies by and I feel like I'm doing something important than just being another corporate cog. It is the worst. I always thought I could just put in the hours and then enjoy my "free time." Not so. These horrible jobs permeated my entire life. All I could think about starting at 5:01 on Friday was that I would have to come back to the office at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, and then work till Friday. I felt like I was emotionally and intellectually dead.

Conclusion: I went to law school to do something I thought I would enjoy. So far, I am very happy with my decision.

Not surprising to me at all that A'nold has the best post in this thread.

Ignoring the specifics of exactly how much one works in what job, the problem with most of the posts here is that they talk about a job as a fungible asset. I've worked jobs where I looked at the clock all day and jobs where the time flew by -- A'nold is exactly right here because it makes a huge difference in your overall happiness.

OP, the point is that you should NOT avoid going to law school and take a shitty 9-5 job just because "the opportunity cost of law school is too high! -- you could make the same amount right now!" (Imagine me saying that in a whiny wannabe econ major voice). If you think you would enjoy being a lawyer, then go to law school. You can find jobs where you work mostly 9-5 and make a decent salary (especially since loans are not an issue).

Its true that people who are really engaged in their jobs often choose to work longer hours, but there is no logical reason why someone can't enjoy their 9-5 job and leave work at work.

To reiterate: anyone who starts blabbing about not going to law school because other jobs pay the same without the 3 years of education should be ignored (unless there are serious concerns about loan repayment). These people have clearly not worked in jobs they hated for an extended period of time.

This is actually one of the reasons that you can usually see me arguing with people about how 60k a year is not a bad salary. The majority of posters on here have never had meaningful post-grad work experience.

+1. I walked out of a $120k per year job, where I worked maybe 25 hours per week (but spent probably 30-45 there at the office). I will probably never have a job with that pay to hours ratio again, or even anything in that ballpark. But, if I find something I like, i'm happy to work a little more and make a lot less. (FWIW, I also didn't work at all for two years and traveled the world, volunteered for organizations I was passionate about, etc, and found that to be unsatisfying as well. Life's weird.)

What I found out was that I may have made a lot of money, but I lived on like 1/4 of it, which is why I don't need to take out loans for law school. I used to have a perspective similar to many TLSers here when I was just a year or two out of college as well. Some of them will still have that perspective in their 30s and beyond, I don't want to make the same mistake of know-it-allism. But, it's nice to see some people here with more balanced views, less vitriol to spread and genuine willingness to help. Here's to all of us finding something we love.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2011 10:47 pm

re: non-legal academia:

You'll be able to get a community college or adjunct professor position with a JD (with or without too much trouble depending on where you live and how picky you are about what you're going to teach). That said, unless you get really likely, you're not likely to make anywhere close to 50k/year. Most adjuncts and CC profs I know do it as a part time job as they only pull in 15-25k from it. I know some adjunct profs who are really hustling (and working far more than 40 hours/week) who might make 40k or so. There are a handful of higher paying positions, but even with a Cornell JD it's going to be more luck than anything if you land them.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:re: non-legal academia:

You'll be able to get a community college or adjunct professor position with a JD (with or without too much trouble depending on where you live and how picky you are about what you're going to teach). That said, unless you get really likely, you're not likely to make anywhere close to 50k/year. Most adjuncts and CC profs I know do it as a part time job as they only pull in 15-25k from it. I know some adjunct profs who are really hustling (and working far more than 40 hours/week) who might make 40k or so. There are a handful of higher paying positions, but even with a Cornell JD it's going to be more luck than anything if you land them.

Wow that little? One of my best friends teaches 3rd graders and she gets over 50K a year plus summers off.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Depending on your undergraduate degree, you might be able to work for a small/liberal arts college. One of my business professors took this route. She was an accounting major, got her JD & LLM from a Tier3 law school. Now she teaches at my school (she gets to substitue her JD for the PhD requirement, although I'm not sure why because they are totally on different levels) and does work for a local law firm every now and then. I'm pretty sure she's making at least 70k a year. I would imagine coming from Cornell, you would have more/better options. But the most important thing is to do something you enjoy. My teacher might not be making big bucks (although nice enough IMO) like some lawyers do, but she absolutely loves her job and her life. There's no subtitute for that.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed May 11, 2011 4:29 pm

My exhusband (practicing attny) taught at a community college as a part time, contracted prof (which is how they hire the majority of their profs at this school, and many community colleges).

We are on a quarter system, he was paid $500/credit hour per quarter. Most of the classes he taught were 3 credit classes, so he was paid $1500/quarter for each class. Part timers don't usually teach more than 2 classes per quarter, so that's a whopping 9k a year. NO benefits for part timers. Contract was new EVERY QUARTER, so no security, whenever they didn't want to pay you, you weren't offered a contract for the next quarter.
Obviously he just did it on the side because he enjoyed it, but I definitely wouldn't count on community college gigs to earn anywhere near 50K/yr. As a supplemental thing, sure.

EliHBCU

Postby EliHBCU » Wed May 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Newbienew

Despite what some people in here have mentioned there are several ways you have have an intellectually stimulating legal career without working awful, long hours. It depends on what you are most interested in. If you just like to learn about new things, and that may be why you're going to law school to begin with, consider being a legal librarian or legal researcher work. Both of those require considerable time doing legal research on often complex legal issues, but if you work for the government or a university the job hours should not be to long. While I'm sure some people who want to be litigators will consider these jobs boring, they can be extremely interesting since it forces you to learn about a variety of legal topics.

Also, contract work. If you do independent contract drafting for simple contracts, landlord/tenant, simple wills, simple sales contracts you can make enough money to live by and make your own hours. If you wanted to go this route I recommend that you tailor your academics to contract classes.

And traditional contract jobs, in this economy a lot of firms are hiring temp attorneys on an as needed basis. Of course while you're working you're contract position you may need to work more than 40 hrs a week. But if your contract is only temporary this type of job structure can give you a lot of leeway to relax/enjoy life/vacation between contract jobs.

I hope those suggestions help.
:)

http://thestudentappeal.com/

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 am

YankeesFan wrote:No lawyer I know, small firm, big law, government of PI works less than 50 hours a week. There are attorneys who work 60+ hours for a 50,000 paycheck in shitlaw. The OP wants the same pay, with substantially less work. Its an unrealistic goal, unless you want doc review, or part time legal work.

Also, $50,000 (even times 2 with your wife) doesn't go as far as you would think. Especially when kids start getting involved. Life becomes very expensive very quickly. I am not saying Big law or bust, but you should understand that a combined income of 100,000 isn't as appealing as it once was.

wow..100 K a year between you and wifey and you think kids are going to be a big financial burden? shooot i know girls working at burger king popping out babies like jiffy popcorn and they seem to be doing all right :lol: :lol:
Last edited by JPrezy87 on Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 am

EliHBCU wrote:Newbienew

Both of those require considerable time doing legal research on often complex legal issues, but if you work for the government or a university the job hours should not be to long. While I'm sure some people who want to be litigators will consider these jobs boring, they can be extremely interesting since it forces you to learn about a variety of legal topics.

Pretty sure the attorneys I work with in the PDs Office are in trial more than most. I'd assume this is the case for most Public Defenders.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu May 12, 2011 8:42 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:No lawyer I know, small firm, big law, government of PI works less than 50 hours a week. There are attorneys who work 60+ hours for a 50,000 paycheck in shitlaw. The OP wants the same pay, with substantially less work. Its an unrealistic goal, unless you want doc review, or part time legal work.

Also, $50,000 (even times 2 with your wife) doesn't go as far as you would think. Especially when kids start getting involved. Life becomes very expensive very quickly. I am not saying Big law or bust, but you should understand that a combined income of 100,000 isn't as appealing as it once was.

wow..100 K a year between you and wifey and you think kids are going to be a big financial burden? shooot i know girls working at burger king popping out babies like jiffy popcorn and they seem to be doing all right :lol: :lol:

Yes, with taxpayer assistance....

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:any professional job will regularly require 50-60 hours a week throughout a career. I'd start to really think about what it takes to be an adult.

Do you try to be condescending or does it just come naturally?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
newbienew wrote:Thanks, Patriot--it's something I think about all the time, actually. It makes perfect sense to me that if someone wants to make big bucks, he/she should be prepared to work big hours. But if I just want to make a living, and am content with lower-middle class salaries, why should I also be working over 40 hours a week?

To me, being an adult means having the independence to prioritize your own life, while also making sure you aren't a burden on anyone else. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do that with a $50K a year salary, especially if I have a wife making a similar or higher salary. I don't think preferring a more leisurely, less wealthy lifestyle is a choice that makes me any less of an adult than if I had the opposite preference. All I want to know is whether (and which) law jobs will earn me that happy medium.

I don't understand why you're going to law school. If you simply want to make 50k and only put in 40 hours, go become a licensed trades-person. I.e. an electrician or a plumber. Law is a client service job there will always be times when things come up at the last minute and require longer hours. It sounds like you just want to punch a clock. It's the wrong field for that.

What is it with the classism of some of you entitled pre-laws and law students? All of my high school friends I know who went into trades work well over 40 hours a week. My best friend's father is a general contractor and he makes a solid six figures also. Yeesh, go into a trade, the work is not physically demanding, you don't work long hours, and your pay is capped.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 pm

newbienew wrote:homestyle--To respond to your question, law is significantly more appealing than a tradesperson job, because I do enjoy intellectual engagement. As I said, law school excites me, and I'm really looking forward to being challenged in a new way. A career in law (I hope) can be an intellectually fulfilling one for me, and plumbing would not. Besides, I'm not handy at all. :)

Is there really no intersection between "intellectually challenging job" and "job that allows you to spend most of your waking hours outside of it"? Maybe so, and I suppose that's why I'm asking. But I would like to think that I could work 40 hours a week, enjoying my time at the office while there, and spend most of my time with people I love, like family or friends. I just don't see why that's such an unrealistic or juvenile goal.

Depends on your view of "intellectually challenging." Not everyone who goes into a trade is a brain-dead monkey who doesn't know/doesn't want to "think."

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

Yes, with taxpayer assistance....

hey welfare and extorted money from deadbeat dads (child support) never hurt nobody :lol: :lol:

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Lwoods wrote:Just a 0L but have spent most of my life around lawyers.

My dad was a prosecutor at the county level, and while he worked 50 hour weeks + late night phone calls from the cops, almost all of the public defenders in town were part time. The elected prosecutor was also par-time in the prosecutors office but had a private practice as well (probably working 90 hour weeks when all was said and done). In my hometown, I doubt the part time public defenders made $50k, though... probably closer to $35k.

When my dad was a judge, he worked 45 hour weeks and had the highest salary of his career. Nice work if you can get it, but it's not easy to get, and if it's an elected position and you're not in the majority party of your constituency, not easy to keep.

The holy grail for biglaw associates I worked with who hated the lack of work/life balance in biglaw was going in-house for a corporation. Those are typically 40-50 hour/week jobs (depending on your department... I imagine litigators always have bad lifestyles). The downside is the pay is typically less than BigLaw, and the complicated "fun stuff" gets tossed to the outside counsel....from what I've heard.

Since when are corporations known for their consistent 9-5, 40 hr/wk working professionals? My aunt works in-house at a corporations and rarely works less than 60 hours/week. More if there's a major acquisition. She is the head of the legal department, granted, but those who work under her aren't exactly walking out at 3 pm every afternoon. Come on.

JPrezy87

Postby JPrezy87 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:any professional job will regularly require 50-60 hours a week throughout a career. I'd start to really think about what it takes to be an adult.

betta watch out...before Patriot gets on you :).

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:

betta watch out...before Patriot gets on you :).

Yeah...I don't believe in editing posts after I've been quoted so I'll leave it be. But I did read his response to someone else calling him out on the 2nd or 3rd page, and I do retract my comment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 10:51 pm

As others have said, there are some reasonable options out there. I thought I'd chime in as to my experience with some of these jobs.

For various reasons, mostly due to family obligations, I knew I would not want to work a crazy job after law school. I made the choice to go to a t1 school for free (with stipend) and graduate with no debt rather than go to a NYS. I graduated two years ago and am already on to my second post-grad job, with several part-time/other projects going.

1) I worked right after law school at a legal aid, doing domestic work. Theoretically 40 hours ish, but practically much much more. My clients were constantly in emergency situations, and I was woken at all times of night to go to the hospital to deal with various situations. It was unpleasant, and high stress. Also, the administration started treating the attorneys terribly---we couldn't count time away from the office/court as work, even if it was legitimate work out of the office. So the time I spent helping a client with paperwork in her hospital room, that was personal time. Anyway, I was obviously unhappy so I left and moved on to job 2.

2) This is where I am now. I work for a state agency. There are bizarre work-life rules. Due to the union contract, both exempt and non-exempt employees have the same benefits in terms of time and hours. I get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch per day that I must take. It's strange as a lawyer, but if the head of the agency does it, why not? We also cannot work at home due to security concerns, so when I leave for the day, I'm gone. I can't even check my email/voicemail out of the office. I work a 40 hour week, 6am-2:30pm M-F. It's really a good deal. It starts between 40-50k, with a 4k raise after the first year. Sadly I'm making a bit less than that this year due to furloughs, but I don't have any real complaints. I enjoy the work; it's interesting and fun. People who have been at the agency for 10-15 years are into the six figures, so there is certainly room for growth, assuming the pay freezes and such ever ease up.

3) Community college teaching. I did this from right after graduation for about a year. It paid nothing, and was not worth the time investment. No benefits, no days off, and tons of out of class work, including prep time (super high for your first class), student questions, grading, and the like. It was also not particularly intellectually challenging.

4) Contract research. I started doing this after I left legal aid. I do research and drafting for a few attorneys in the area. I kinda fell into the work; I had a few different solos that I had gone up against at legal aid that were encouraging me to join their firms. I had no desire for that, but I really do enjoy the research aspect of the legal field. My work here has grown a bit---probably averages about 2k a month for an extra 5-10 hours a week, but that's in IC money so I pay my own taxes. I do the work from home while watching TV with my husband. And I never have to work with clients. Overall, I think if I didn't have to worry about pensions or health care, I would do this full time. It's pretty easy to get started by working with a few attorneys. If you are good, the work will pretty much keep coming without you having to do very much. Probably the best option from a quality of life aspect.

Overall, I think I agree that the quality of the job matters a ton for quality of life. My first job was so unpleasant I was unhappy all the time. I felt like I could never get away from the dread of having to go back in there. Personally I think you should never apologize for knowing what you want and going after it.

newbienew

Postby newbienew » Fri May 13, 2011 8:22 am

This thread has been very helpful, much more so than I was hoping. Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm looking forward to discovering which aspects of law I most enjoy, and applying the knowledge in this thread toward a decision for my career path.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:As others have said, there are some reasonable options out there. I thought I'd chime in as to my experience with some of these jobs.

For various reasons, mostly due to family obligations, I knew I would not want to work a crazy job after law school. I made the choice to go to a t1 school for free (with stipend) and graduate with no debt rather than go to a NYS. I graduated two years ago and am already on to my second post-grad job, with several part-time/other projects going.

1) I worked right after law school at a legal aid, doing domestic work. Theoretically 40 hours ish, but practically much much more. My clients were constantly in emergency situations, and I was woken at all times of night to go to the hospital to deal with various situations. It was unpleasant, and high stress. Also, the administration started treating the attorneys terribly---we couldn't count time away from the office/court as work, even if it was legitimate work out of the office. So the time I spent helping a client with paperwork in her hospital room, that was personal time. Anyway, I was obviously unhappy so I left and moved on to job 2.

2) This is where I am now. I work for a state agency. There are bizarre work-life rules. Due to the union contract, both exempt and non-exempt employees have the same benefits in terms of time and hours. I get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch per day that I must take. It's strange as a lawyer, but if the head of the agency does it, why not? We also cannot work at home due to security concerns, so when I leave for the day, I'm gone. I can't even check my email/voicemail out of the office. I work a 40 hour week, 6am-2:30pm M-F. It's really a good deal. It starts between 40-50k, with a 4k raise after the first year. Sadly I'm making a bit less than that this year due to furloughs, but I don't have any real complaints. I enjoy the work; it's interesting and fun. People who have been at the agency for 10-15 years are into the six figures, so there is certainly room for growth, assuming the pay freezes and such ever ease up.

3) Community college teaching. I did this from right after graduation for about a year. It paid nothing, and was not worth the time investment. No benefits, no days off, and tons of out of class work, including prep time (super high for your first class), student questions, grading, and the like. It was also not particularly intellectually challenging.

4) Contract research. I started doing this after I left legal aid. I do research and drafting for a few attorneys in the area. I kinda fell into the work; I had a few different solos that I had gone up against at legal aid that were encouraging me to join their firms. I had no desire for that, but I really do enjoy the research aspect of the legal field. My work here has grown a bit---probably averages about 2k a month for an extra 5-10 hours a week, but that's in IC money so I pay my own taxes. I do the work from home while watching TV with my husband. And I never have to work with clients. Overall, I think if I didn't have to worry about pensions or health care, I would do this full time. It's pretty easy to get started by working with a few attorneys. If you are good, the work will pretty much keep coming without you having to do very much. Probably the best option from a quality of life aspect.

Overall, I think I agree that the quality of the job matters a ton for quality of life. My first job was so unpleasant I was unhappy all the time. I felt like I could never get away from the dread of having to go back in there. Personally I think you should never apologize for knowing what you want and going after it.

This is a good post. Reveal yourself Anon poster.

nphsbuckeye

Postby nphsbuckeye » Mon May 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Lwoods wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:
The question becomes murkier when the total COA for the JD is free-20k. Also, it seems law school is unique in that it places such an emphasis on the LSAT and thus provides the opportunity for many splitter applicants to attend a top school or a T1 with a full tuition, or close to, scholarship (it seems sub-3.0 GPA is the death nail for almost all other graduate programs). Not to mention that many applicants have a rather unmarketable liberal arts degree that if they chose to forgo law school their job prospects are slim.

This is a myth. Major doesn't matter for the majority of entry-level positions. I'm an analyst at a Fortune 500 retailer, and, while I have a fashion degree, the girl who had this job before me (and left this spot for a promotion) has a BFA in Studio Art from an okay-but-not-prestigious regional school. I have plenty of sorority sisters with liberal arts degrees also working in finance and business.
Now, if it's unmarketable because it's from an unremarkable school in a market with no good jobs, fair enough. However, simply blaming the major is lazy; I've found it to mean very little. Personality and job experience (including internship and part-time experience during school) carry much more weight.

I bet networking and contacts had more to do with it. I would like to get a job in finance with a LA degree , but I'd probably need an "in" of some sort, assuming they completely overlook my lack of WE.

And the culture of LA doesn't really involve involve relevant work experience, which is really annoying (although I suppose that would be stating your major, in and of itself, has little to no real world applicability).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Local government jobs can be a sweet gig because, at least in California, they tend to pay way more than state jobs and still require around 40 hours a week. Entry level positions in the state AG start at $56K, city/county attorney's offices seem to hover around $75K or more (at least in the bigger markets - LA, SF, Sac).

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 pm

how much do public defenders typically work in NYC

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 pm

ITT I re-discover why I want to be an ADA

Return to “Legal Employment”