What is IP / Patent Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Big Shrimpin

Re: What is IP / Patent Law?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 am

turbotong wrote:meh. Who knows.
Things I got going for me:
I hear EE > CS
I do have nice undergrad grades
Asking about 1L opportunity, not 0L as you seem to have interpreted
Texas is now t14 =)
Economy might be better next year.
So what's your best guess as to % chance? (33 was just a wild pick)

Your inability to realize how such speculation yields zero utility will cause you to you'll strike-out during 1L OCI. HTH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
turbotong wrote:meh. Who knows.
Things I got going for me:
I hear EE > CS
I do have nice undergrad grades
Asking about 1L opportunity, not 0L as you seem to have interpreted
Texas is now t14 =)
Economy might be better next year.
So what's your best guess as to % chance? (33 was just a wild pick)

Your inability to realize how such speculation yields zero utility will cause you to you'll strike-out during 1L OCI. HTH

I'm a 1L with a paid firm gig. I can tell you that Shrimpin is right.

EE vs. CS doesn't matter. Undergrad grades don't matter. Texas as a T14 maybe matters just a little bit but not much at all. Economy same as T14, and speculative.

Do you know anyone who can get your resume in the door? Any ties at all? In Texas?

If you want to talk numbers, I'd say that you need to end up top 10% (being generous) in order to get firms who are hiring 1Ls to notice you. Most firms still won't even look at you because they simply don't hire 1Ls. For the ones who do, you'll want to send your resume and information as soon as the deadline hits (before 1L grades come out), and then again send a letter with your very good grades to each firm as soon as your grades come in.

No offense, but you seem like the kind of guy who assumes that he will be top 10% (a lot of people assume that). All I can say is good luck...

erico

Postby erico » Wed May 11, 2011 8:35 pm

i got a paid gig - so clearly anyone can do it. some better folks than i (i.e., top 10%) weren't so lucky.

the assumption going in must be, however, that you will not get a paid gig. it's just realistic -- hard to swallow but it's the truth.

Return to “Legal Employment”