Big Law Drug Testing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law Drug Testing

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2011 6:57 pm

I presume a substantial portion of biglaw firms drug test the people they offer SA positions to. When does the drug testing actually occur? Upon receiving the SA offer just after 2L fall OCI? Right before the SA position starts? Assuming you get an associate offer after your SA summer, do you get tested again? How about after that (i.e. once you start practicing)?

Also, does anyone know what type of testing is most common in the industry? (hair/urine/blood)

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Re: Big Law Drug Testing

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun May 08, 2011 6:59 pm

You're in law school, stop doing drugs (for now at least). HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2011 7:01 pm

HTH? I've seen that posted a lot on this forum and have no idea what it stands for..

And there's nothing wrong with some post-exam celebration :D ... unless of course I'll be drug tested within 3 months, hence the question.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sun May 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HTH? I've seen that posted a lot on this forum and have no idea what it stands for..

And there's nothing wrong with some post-exam celebration :D ... unless of course I'll be drug tested within 3 months, hence the question.
You should probably grow up. HTH.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun May 08, 2011 7:10 pm

I have never heard of a Biglaw firm, or any other private law firm, for that matter, that drug tests.

Also, this has been asked a number of times. Try using the search feature prior to asking next time.

Also, HTH = Hope That Helps. Prior poster was being tongue-in-cheek and trying to insult you because you don't conform to societal norms. HTH.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ViIIager

Bronze

Post by ViIIager » Sun May 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Sorry your reefer habits are interfering with your six figure job. Quick quiz for brilliant law student--what's included in the Controlled Substances Act?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun May 08, 2011 8:10 pm

I don't condone drug use, but maybe a bunch of 0 and 1L's should stop giving their opinions on OP's questionable lifestyle choices and wait for someone with an answer to post. HTH.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:19 pm

MrKappus wrote:I don't condone drug use, but maybe a bunch of 0 and 1L's should stop giving their opinions on OP's questionable lifestyle choices and wait for someone with an answer to post. HTH.
Ok here is an answer

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun May 08, 2011 8:20 pm

^ Polite applause.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sun May 08, 2011 9:27 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:I have never heard of a Biglaw firm, or any other private law firm, for that matter, that drug tests.

Also, this has been asked a number of times. Try using the search feature prior to asking next time.

Also, HTH = Hope That Helps. Prior poster was being tongue-in-cheek and trying to insult you because you don't conform to societal norms. proudly break the law. HTH.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun May 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:I have never heard of a Biglaw firm, or any other private law firm, for that matter, that drug tests.

Also, HTH = Hope That Helps. Prior poster was being tongue-in-cheek and trying to insult you because you don't conform to societal norms. proudly break the law. HTH.
C- reading comprehension.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun May 08, 2011 9:30 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:

Maybe the two of you could carry on this after-school special somewhere else.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun May 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:

Maybe the two of you could carry on this after-school special somewhere else.
Too many lovers in my hotel already, I'm afraid. :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun May 08, 2011 9:51 pm

For a more useful answer, I haven't been drug test and there has been no indication that I will ever be drug tested. None of my friends who have firm gigs have been tested. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon May 09, 2011 2:01 pm

don't smoke marijuana if there's even the possibility of a drug test. that stuff stays in your system for so long ~9 months for hair test. plus, failing a drug test for marijuana is so junior leagues

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue May 10, 2011 3:12 am

bartleby wrote:don't smoke marijuana if there's even the possibility of a drug test. that stuff stays in your system for so long ~9 months for hair test. plus, failing a drug test for marijuana is so junior leagues
I don't think I want to work for any company that plucks a strand of hair for analysis.

Also, it's disappointing that a logical question turned into anti-marijuana trolling ITT.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue May 10, 2011 12:41 pm

arvcondor wrote:
bartleby wrote:don't smoke marijuana if there's even the possibility of a drug test. that stuff stays in your system for so long ~9 months for hair test. plus, failing a drug test for marijuana is so junior leagues
I don't think I want to work for any company that plucks a strand of hair for analysis.

Also, it's disappointing that a logical question turned into anti-marijuana trolling ITT people will spend $50k+ a year and risk not getting a job because they don't have the self control to not smoke marijuana until they've gotten/started their job.
FTFY. HTH.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue May 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
arvcondor wrote:

Also, it's disappointing that a logical question turned into anti-marijuana trolling ITT people will spend $50k+ a year and risk not getting a job because they don't have the self control to not smoke marijuana until they've gotten/started their job.
FTFY. HTH.
Haha! Damn!!! You sure got him!

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Tue May 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
arvcondor wrote:

FTFY. HTH.
Except the OP is concerned with whether or not this even happens, and therefore whether or not it is even a risk. Lack of self-control is irrelevant to the question; maybe OP is a highly functioning heroin addict. Doesn't change what's at issue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”