How good is being a LR&W Teaching Assistant on resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
choochoo

How good is being a LR&W Teaching Assistant on resume?

Postby choochoo » Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 am

My LR&W professor asked me to TA for her next year. Any idea if this will give me a boost during OCI or is it just the same as having a good grade in the class?

Cupidity

Re: How good is being a LR&W Teaching Assistant on resume?

Postby Cupidity » Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 am

Not really a big deal, better than nothing though

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sun May 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Its nothing huge, but can look good next to some solid summer work. Ill be a TA for writing next fall. I think it can provide an excellent recommendation and even job opportunities through the prof's network. For strictly OCI purposes, I would say its a small help, but nothing game-changing.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 pm

What the other posters said.

Also, check if your school offers credit for TAing. For us, if you TA a substantive class, you get the same number of credits as you would get taking the class, but it's P/F. For LRW, you get 5 credits, but you have to not only TA, but also write the problem for first year moot court and write a bench memo for the judges.

Normally, I'd say if you are getting credit (or getting paid), TAing is probably worth your time. Similarly, if you're trying to form a relationship with a professor for clerkship recs (or any other reason), then it's probably worth your time. If you're doing it just to put it on your resume, it's probably not worth your time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I think it can help. My school has a named program for writing TA's. I believe its called the writing fellowship program, so you get to put what sounds like a pretty nice distinction on your resume. My school is selective about this, and only about 1/3 of the people who apply to be writing fellows actually get the positions. I'm interning with fed. district court judge so I feel like having both on my resume will add up to show some good writing credentials.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun May 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it can help. My school has a named program for writing TA's. I believe its called the writing fellowship program, so you get to put what sounds like a pretty nice distinction on your resume. My school is selective about this, and only about 1/3 of the people who apply to be writing fellows actually get the positions. I'm interning with fed. district court judge so I feel like having both on my resume will add up to show some good writing credentials.

why is this anonymous? OMG, you're going to be an LRW TA and you are interning with a Federal District Judge. You're probably the ONLY 1L on the planet who is doing that, so, yeah, definitely make it anonymous.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun May 08, 2011 2:04 pm

To OP, nothing regarding writing can possibly hurt your resume.

To Koala, the post you are criticizing is a more helpful than your wasted post

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Sun May 08, 2011 2:05 pm

It will help you some at OCI, and even more when it comes to elections to journal board positions. I definitely regret not TAing at this point. From what I've heard there are a few times a semester when you have a lot of work (i.e. when the section you're assigned to turns in drafts) but most of the time it isn't that intensive.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun May 08, 2011 3:25 pm

dakatz wrote:To OP, nothing regarding writing can possibly hurt your resume.

see http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130748

disagree.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:44 pm

koalatriste wrote:
dakatz wrote:To OP, nothing regarding writing can possibly hurt your resume.

see http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130748

disagree.

You might wish to actually read the post before linking it.
If you see a comment that you believe is misuse or abuse of the anon feature, please report it using the "Report" button on the lower-right corner of each post. This button, which appears as a red exclamation point, allows you to flag a post for moderator investigation. When a moderator has time, he/she will look at the post and determine whether or not the post needs to remain anonymous. Do NOT post in the thread itself about what you perceive to be misuse or abuse of the anonymous feature, as this only serves to derail the thread.

see your douchey post above. HTH

/derail

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun May 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Its better than nothing, but I would certainly pick any clinic,practicum, moot court, mock trial, internship during the year over it. And I would pikc the TA position over nothing.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:50 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Its better than nothing, but I would certainly pick any clinic,practicum, moot court, mock trial, internship during the year over it. And I would pikc the TA position over nothing.

And I would pick TA'ing LRW over everything but LR/Journal stuff (and even then, you can probably do both). Especially if you get paid for it.

Return to “Legal Employment”