Will a year at Baker Botts help get me in?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrKappus

Re: Will a year at Baker Botts help get me in?

Postby MrKappus » Sat May 07, 2011 8:01 pm

* Sigh. * OK. It matters. OP, if you're attending a school that will require a top 1% rank just to get a BB interview, for god sakes don't move to Dallas.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 07, 2011 8:08 pm

MrKappus wrote:* Sigh. * OK. It matters. OP, if you're attending a school that will require a top 1% rank just to get a BB interview, for god sakes don't move to Dallas.

:lol: now im just curious what law school OP is going to...i smell SMU?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat May 07, 2011 8:11 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:SMU?

If so, OP, enjoy Austin and the year with the gf.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Again. No. I went to BB's website and found 5 4 associates from Texas Tech School of Law. That's just one third tier example. For the purposes of OP's question, his school does not matter. His grades will be dispositive. What those grades need to be will obviously vary tremendously.

*Edited for typo

FTR, I assumed UT in previous comment. Shouldn't have.

But the question is quite relevant. If you need to be top10% + LR to get into BB (see, Tex Tech, UH, others), then the marginal boost of paralegaling won't matter as much because of the low chance of hitting those grades.

If, on the other hand, OP is going to UT, the moderate boost might matter more. Say top 30% has a chance. He hits that, plus paralegal, plus is pretty normal, then BB in the bag.

Basically, the OP's school matters because of the higher chance of the paralegaling experience having any bearing whatsoever on the hiring decision. If he doesn't make the grade cutoff, it won't matter, and from non-UT's (or OOS equivalent), that's a very likely occurrence.

Don't ever lump UH in with Texas Tech.

And FWIW, BB only interviews top 5% at UH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2011 10:20 pm

rose711 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So would that be better than saving more money for LS and working at a firm I would likely not even apply to?

Yes - you should be able to make some contacts there who will at least provide references for you that will help you more than the other firm will. If you think you would love to work for them, this gives you a chance to see what the firm is actually like, it may not be what you think, and a chance to meet some people.

But, to help you make a good decision, how much money are we talking about here? How supportive is your SO?

Sorry about the long time between response. We are talking about an 8,000 dollar difference for the year. Thats after all expenses are factored. But maybe I could find a way to live cheaper in Dallas than I have looked at. My SO is very supportive, and we could definitely make it work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2011 10:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:um, what law school are you going to? i honestly think this matters quite a bit

OP here again (as is above post) I will be going to UVA after my year of working. This make any difference for my situation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2011 10:24 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Renzo wrote:No, it still matters. They're not hiring the OP from some TTT, even if he/she were the paraclerk equivalent of Jimi Hendrix. It might make a marginal difference to the OP's career outlook, assuming biglaw was otherwise realistic; but if it isn't, there's no reason to sacrifice the increased earnings at the smaller firm.

Again. No. I went to BB's website and found 5 4 associates from Texas Tech School of Law. That's just one third tier example. For the purposes of OP's question, his school does not matter. His grades will be dispositive. What those grades need to be will obviously vary tremendously.

*Edited for typo

No, still matters. How old are these associates? Was this ITE? What were their ranks? I'm not saying it matters MORE than his grades per se. But if these Texas Tech people were either pre-ITE or were ranked 1 at their school, like I said, the value of OP going to paralegal for BB drops (assuming he's at said school). I'm not saying it goes to 0...just value drops a lot, so it certainly matters.

The people from Texas Tech were definitely from pre-ITE. I have actually spoken with a grad of Tech who works in the Austin office (kind of how I got this interview which turned into an offer) and he said there is no way BB would hire him ITE from Tech (he graduated top 1%) and then clerked for Texas SC chief justice before moving to BB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2011 10:28 pm

OP here: really sorry about being gone for so long! had a ton to do today and was traveling home for mothers day tomorrow. Anyways, I posted this before, but again I will be going to UVA next year (actually turned down UT with a small scholly) I couldnt spend three more years at UT, so the decision wasnt really even a question.

**Headin out to work, Please post any responses. Any advice will help knowing which school I am going to. I will be back about 3am CST to respond

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rose711 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So would that be better than saving more money for LS and working at a firm I would likely not even apply to?

Yes - you should be able to make some contacts there who will at least provide references for you that will help you more than the other firm will. If you think you would love to work for them, this gives you a chance to see what the firm is actually like, it may not be what you think, and a chance to meet some people.

But, to help you make a good decision, how much money are we talking about here? How supportive is your SO?

Sorry about the long time between response. We are talking about an 8,000 dollar difference for the year. Thats after all expenses are factored. But maybe I could find a way to live cheaper in Dallas than I have looked at. My SO is very supportive, and we could definitely make it work

makes going to BB as paralegal a bit more viable of an option. and didnt you just say you couldnt stand more time at UT? did you mean the school or Austin? my gut was to go with Austin, but im a sucker for SOs and at the end of the day, my personal opinion is that it does not really matter enough for connections. might help a bit, but iunno...if it is your DREAM, then maybe it is worth it (esp. since it lets you see your dream from the inside, to some degree). i dont think it is worth the 'hassle' but others may very well disagree.

smithc2011

Postby smithc2011 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:47 pm

i'd do the small firm, BB paralegal in Dallas won't mean much for OCI at UVA

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 pm

smithc2011 wrote:i'd do the small firm, BB paralegal in Dallas won't mean much for OCI at UVA

Based on . . . ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2011 12:35 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rose711 wrote:

makes going to BB as paralegal a bit more viable of an option. and didnt you just say you couldnt stand more time at UT? did you mean the school or Austin? my gut was to go with Austin, but im a sucker for SOs and at the end of the day, my personal opinion is that it does not really matter enough for connections. might help a bit, but iunno...if it is your DREAM, then maybe it is worth it (esp. since it lets you see your dream from the inside, to some degree). i dont think it is worth the 'hassle' but others may very well disagree.

I just meant another 3 years of school here. Doing the same old thing, living in the same area, going to the same gym, eating the same food, hanging out with the same people. I want law school to be its own experience, not a continuation of UG. Now the difference of living in Austin or Dallas (purely area wise) makes no difference. The pay at BB is about 7K more a year, but negligible because of having to live by myself rather than split rent and the commute back and forth from Austin.

The only reason I would take it is because 1.) the name would look much better on my resume
2.) I would meet/get to know people at BB. Work my ass off and hopefully make a good impression which would help me to secure a job there (lets say I was borderline for getting the job... maybe this pushes me over)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2011 12:36 am

smithc2011 wrote:i'd do the small firm, BB paralegal in Dallas won't mean much for OCI at UVA

Also curious about this.... what about applying to BB in general?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun May 08, 2011 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just meant another 3 years of school here. Doing the same old thing, living in the same area, going to the same gym, eating the same food, hanging out with the same people. I want law school to be its own experience, not a continuation of UG. Now the difference of living in Austin or Dallas (purely area wise) makes no difference. The pay at BB is about 7K more a year, but negligible because of having to live by myself rather than split rent and the commute back and forth from Austin.

The only reason I would take it is because 1.) the name would look much better on my resume
2.) I would meet/get to know people at BB. Work my ass off and hopefully make a good impression which would help me to secure a job there (lets say I was borderline for getting the job... maybe this pushes me over)

i think, esp. given your future law school, you just answered your own question. you see the benefits and costs pretty clearly -- it is a decision that really comes down to personal preference, however

Return to “Legal Employment”