Switching firms at the end of 2L summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching firms at the end of 2L summer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi everyone. I accepted an offer at a firm in a region (major market) where my partner and I originally wanted to go back to, but now it's looking like my partner has a possible job opportunity in another major market (and would likely have other options if this falls through....don't want to explain because then I will out myself, so just take it as true that the "new" market has more opportunities for my partner).

Question - how the hell do I go about applying to firms in this new region without jeopardizing my chance of getting an offer in the first region? I need the offer in order to increase my chances for 3L OCI.

Also, I plan on contacting firms before the end of my summer / before 3L OCI in order to maximize my chances. How awkward will this be? And what are the chances of it getting back to my 2L summer firm?

Note: I don't want to jeopardize getting the offer, because worse comes to worse I stay in that region for a few years and then we move, but it is not ideal.

dood

Re: Switching firms at the end of 2L summer

Postby dood » Fri May 06, 2011 7:04 pm

how would they know?

jaxon05

Postby jaxon05 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:02 am

Firms know that, ITE, no one can count on getting an offer at their 2L firm (unless they are one of the lucky few who receive an offer during their SA). They will likely expect their summers to pursue other options on a preliminary basis before they make their formal offers. Just don't be obnoxious about it or mention how much you want to move, etc, and even it won't make a difference either way.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:51 am

Don't see why this is a problem. Don't tell anyone.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Does your 2L summer firm have an office in the city you want to end up in?

I don't know the answer to this, as I am only an incoming 2L, but do firms ever let you become an associate in a different office from the one you summered in?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:29 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Don't see why this is a problem. Don't tell anyone.

+1. And don't use firm resources in your job search (ex: printing resume and cover letter at work). One 2L at my firm did that this summer and he got reamed out by a few senior partners. Just a dumb decision.

Return to “Legal Employment”