Thoughts on clerking for a Fed. Magistrate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
belligerentfuture

Thoughts on clerking for a Fed. Magistrate?

Postby belligerentfuture » Thu May 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I don't think have the juice to get a District clerkship (and don't want to move to a far away district), but am toying with the idea of applying for what term clerkships exist in the Magistrate level. I did a USAO internship and was exposed to both Circuit and District dockets, but not Magistrate as they are typically closed (and I didn't bother to ask at the time).

Its not something I'd be doing for the 'prestige' element, just because it seems interesting. I like the day-to-day operation of the courts, so I'd rather be in a trial-level court than an appeals court. Essentially, prosecution/defense work interests me, but I don't like the advocacy perspective/polarization, so I'm thinking a Mag. would be the neutral part of that work.

Anybody have any experience interning/clerking with a Magistrate that they want to share?

Anonymous User

Re: Thoughts on clerking for a Fed. Magistrate?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 pm

I interned with a magistrate last summer and really enjoyed it.

I'll say though that 1.) Don't go into it thinking it won't be competitive - I've heard just as many "Magistrate X got 500 applications for 1 slot" stories as D.Ct. stories. 2.) Seemed in my experience that a lot more of the magistrate clerks I met were career clerks. At least in the district I was in (secondary-type market) I only saw one or two young term clerks.

belligerentfuture

Re: Thoughts on clerking for a Fed. Magistrate?

Postby belligerentfuture » Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interned with a magistrate last summer and really enjoyed it.

I'll say though that 1.) Don't go into it thinking it won't be competitive - I've heard just as many "Magistrate X got 500 applications for 1 slot" stories as D.Ct. stories. 2.) Seemed in my experience that a lot more of the magistrate clerks I met were career clerks. At least in the district I was in (secondary-type market) I only saw one or two young term clerks.

yeah in my district (big urban), i knew a lot of the magistrates had career clerks, but there seem to be a *few* term spots as far as I can tell. As for competitiveness, I'm not like in the bottom of my class or anything here ;) just not a lock for a District spot. I assume that Mag. will be *less* competitive than District because of the difference in resume prestige, and further assume that in this market, the competitiveness of both will have risen.

Return to “Legal Employment”