How would you dress if boss says "I don't care"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How would you dress if boss says "I don't care"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I asked my 1L summer internship boss what the office dress code was, and he said that he didn't care and that I could wear whatever made me comfortable. This would include, flip flops, shorts, jeans, t-shirts.

The upside is that my attire will cost significantly less. However, we often have meetings and lunch with other attorneys from other offices. My boss dresses casually, but other attorneys don't. Should I follow my boss's lead, or dress professionally regardless of the office dress code?

Anonymous User

Re: How would you dress if boss says "I don't care"

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 pm

benefits and negatives of professional dress > benefits and negatives of non-professional dress.

If you're worried about the investment, just realize that you will use the clothes all throughout law school.

Enjoy your summer!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu May 05, 2011 2:41 pm

What does your girlfriend mean when she says "I don't mind. It's no big deal so don't worry about it"? I'd be equally hesitant to take it literally here.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Thu May 05, 2011 2:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu May 05, 2011 2:47 pm

dakatz wrote:What does your girlfriend mean when she says "I don't mind. It's no big deal so don't worry about it"?

Means its go time.

DELETED

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu May 05, 2011 2:58 pm

If your boss said casual and actually does it himself as does everyone else there, I would NOT show up to work in a suit. You don't want to stand out for how informal you are OR how formal you are. You want to be in the middle. So, it is really impossible to judge without having visited the place you are going to work. If you haven't been there before, I would suggest going business casual the first day and judging from there what is appropriate. If you have been there, you should know the answer without asking us.

Regardless I wouldn't run out and buy a bunch of professional clothes unless there is a sale. Wait until you know what you need.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu May 05, 2011 3:01 pm

--ImageRemoved--

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Thu May 05, 2011 3:07 pm

I feel like slacks/khakis, dress shoes (or even just loafers), and a dress shirt (no tie) would be sufficient, assuming that OP is a dude.

As others have said, you don't want to show up in a full suit, but I would be wary about dressing too unprofessionally, especially if you are meeting with attorneys from other offices. I would say at the very least don't wear shorts, a shirt without a collar, sandals, or shoes that aren't in good condition.

Also keep in mind that if you are meeting with outside attorneys, you will want to make a good impression on them, especially if they work for firms that you may be applying to. You don't want an interviewer to recognize you as "that guy who wore beach attire to a lunch meeting a few weeks ago."

VinceIrons

Postby VinceIrons » Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Crocs, JNCO pants, and a band T.

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with looking classy and professional, even if your boss doesn't and it's not required. You say the other attorneys don't follow your boss's "casual" look, so I'd try to mimic them.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Business Casual. Carry yourself as a professional, you're trying to establish yourself. It sounds like your boss has given you the okay to represent yourself as you choose. That's cool. I would guess you want to represent yourself as a professional. Business casual is appropriate. If your boss is casual, business casual is appropriate. Wearing a suit would be too much, you might look like his butler.

I worked for a few years after college and when I first started I looked like I was 16. People treated me like I was 16. That stopped when I started dressing better. If you look young, dressing like an adult will really help you.

Good Luck.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu May 05, 2011 7:03 pm

MoonshineJoe

Postby MoonshineJoe » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

First day wear khakis or slacks a button down shirt and a sport coat. You could add a tie if you wanted. The key is that if you show up and everyone is much more casual then you ditch the tie, take off the jacket, roll up your sleeves and you will fit right in. If everyone is a bit dressier then you keep those things on. You can then adjust your attire to fit the tenor of the office.

Don't wear jeans the first day though, you could look very under dressed. Better to err on the side of looking nicer than the other way around.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat May 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Can't go wrong with slacks+ button-down. Keep a tie and blazer in your office in case you go to court or something.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:17 pm

leobowski wrote:Can't go wrong with slacks+ button-down. Keep a tie and blazer in your office in case you go to court or something.

Id even come in wearing the tie but that is just me.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Always try to dress equal to or slightly above what the people in the office do. I spent my 1L summer internship wearing khakis and polos, but there were attorneys in the office who showed up in softball shirts and jean shorts, so that was fine.

You can never go wrong with business casual in a setting like that. Start with khakis and button-up shirts and then step down from there if it feels a little much after a few days.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat May 07, 2011 2:26 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
leobowski wrote:Can't go wrong with slacks+ button-down. Keep a tie and blazer in your office in case you go to court or something.

I can't stand ties without jackets. I hate how they look.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sat May 07, 2011 2:33 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Always try to dress equal to or slightly above what the people in the office do. I spent my 1L summer internship wearing khakis and polos, but there were attorneys in the office who showed up in softball shirts and jean shorts, so that was fine.

You can never go wrong with business casual in a setting like that. Start with khakis and button-up shirts and then step down from there if it feels a little much after a few days.

Disagree. One of the first things my boss said to me when I was meeting some
Vice-presidents, who all didn't wear ties, was "don't outdress your boss." that doesn't mean don't dress well. But I means stay at or below the level of formality that your boss employs

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat May 07, 2011 2:35 pm

danquayle wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Always try to dress equal to or slightly above what the people in the office do. I spent my 1L summer internship wearing khakis and polos, but there were attorneys in the office who showed up in softball shirts and jean shorts, so that was fine.

Disagree. One of the first things my boss said to me when I was meeting some
Vice-presidents, who all didn't wear ties, was "don't outdress your boss." that doesn't mean don't dress well. But I means stay at or below the level of formality that your boss employs

To summarize, dress above, at, or below the level of your boss.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Bosque wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

I can't stand ties without jackets. I hate how they look.

Sometimes. I think it depends on the collar for me. It needs something to "tie" it together.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat May 07, 2011 2:37 pm

obligatory
--ImageRemoved--

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat May 07, 2011 2:41 pm

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Sat May 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Bosque wrote: You don't want to stand out for how informal you are OR how formal you are. You want to be in the middle.

This. Always.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun May 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Spinoff question.

My job states it is business casual at the office, and I know what law firm biz casual is. Should I keep a full suit in my office for court/client opportunities, or can I get by with a gray or navy blazer? My biz casual wardrobe is pretty standard and conservative. Dark slacks, white or light blue dress shirts, and neutral neckties.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Mon May 09, 2011 12:55 pm

TTH wrote:Spinoff question.

My job states it is business casual at the office, and I know what law firm biz casual is. Should I keep a full suit in my office for court/client opportunities, or can I get by with a gray or navy blazer? My biz casual wardrobe is pretty standard and conservative. Dark slacks, white or light blue dress shirts, and neutral neckties.

A navy/gray blazer with what you're describing is still a pretty conservative look. I think what you're describing is perfect. FWIW, I wore a navy or tan blazer almost everyday last summer meeting with clients and going to court and I was fine (federal position).

Return to “Legal Employment”