Immigration Issue

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Immigration Issue

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2011 11:42 am

Hi,

I will be (most likely) enrolling at a Top 10 LS this fall with a full scholarship. I am aiming for biglaw/midlaw work after graduation and I will try to land any type of private sector SA position next summer.

My question is, can I go ahead and go through the interview process and tell the employers that I am awaiting my employment authorization (which will be here before I would start the summer internship but not before the interviews begin)? How do you think they would react? Like I said, I would be authorized to work there before I actually work for the firm.. but not sure how employers look at this.

Thanks

shoeshine

Re: Immigration Issue

Postby shoeshine » Thu May 05, 2011 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

I will be (most likely) enrolling at a Top 10 LS this fall with a full scholarship. I am aiming for biglaw/midlaw work after graduation and I will try to land any type of private sector SA position next summer.

My question is, can I go ahead and go through the interview process and tell the employers that I am awaiting my employment authorization (which will be here before I would start the summer internship but not before the interviews begin)? How do you think they would react? Like I said, I would be authorized to work there before I actually work for the firm.. but not sure how employers look at this.

Thanks

Are you going to need the firm to sponsor you in some way? If no then probably not in an interview but mark appropriately on applications and official hiring documents. Are you on a student visa currently?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu May 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Thanks

Definitely not a feather in your cap? I'm not sure a firm would be willing to engage you and risk that your stuff gets delayed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 am

OP Here.

No the firm will not need to sponsor me. And I will most likely have it in the middle of my second semester so possibly before some interviews.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 07, 2011 11:29 am

Well, for 1L summer most positions are unpaid anyway, and they often don't check your immigration status for unpaid internships in my experience. Get it taken care of by 2L OCI and you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2011 3:59 pm

OP here.

Excellent, thank you very much.

A few months ago I was unsure if I would be able to have work status at all but now it looks like everything will be resolved before my 1L summer.

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”