3L BigLaw Hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L BigLaw Hiring

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 am

I am at a T10, with good grades, and I am entering into my 2L summer. I'm going to be working for a prestigious paid government internship, but I was originally gunning for a 2L SA. I did better than average at OCI with CBs, but in the end I didn't land any offers.

I'm going to try to make something out of my internship. Hopefully it can lead to a job afterwards. However, I still would rather work for a large law firm for a few years before getting into govt. I understand that 3L OCI is almost non-existent, especially for those who didn't do an SA. However, I know that a few can get lucky.

Can anyone who has gone through 3L hiring please share some advice on what I can do this summer and next fall during OCI? Should I do mass mailing? Should I try to play alumni connections? Should I try to snag extra interviews during OCI by sneaking into the open lounges? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!!!!

Corsair

Re: 3L BigLaw Hiring

Postby Corsair » Thu May 05, 2011 1:00 pm

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 am

Is your internship in a major market? If so, network like crazy this summer.

Find out what alumni events there are in the area and go. Use alumni connections to set up coffee/lunch with people in practice area you are interested in (cross reference with your UG too). Join the local bar association (most have student memberships, or will let law students attend events). Go to some of their events (especially in the practice area you are interested in -- or if you don't have a specific area, pick one that is going to draw in attorneys from BigLaw (ie, not a trusts and estates seminar)).

If you hit it off with any of the people you interviewed last summer, reach out to them and let them know that you really liked interviewing with them and ask them if they know if there will be any 3L hiring. Alumni you interviewed with will be your best target for this.

Send targeted letters in July to firms. Don't just spam, give some thought to the letters.

Think outside your top market/firms. Any place you have a connection to, reach out to alumni at firms and talk to them about the legal market there, etc.

Good luck!

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri May 06, 2011 7:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am at a T10, with good grades, and I am entering into my 2L summer. I'm going to be working for a prestigious paid government internship, but I was originally gunning for a 2L SA. I did better than average at OCI with CBs, but in the end I didn't land any offers.

I'm going to try to make something out of my internship. Hopefully it can lead to a job afterwards. However, I still would rather work for a large law firm for a few years before getting into govt. I understand that 3L OCI is almost non-existent, especially for those who didn't do an SA. However, I know that a few can get lucky.

Can anyone who has gone through 3L hiring please share some advice on what I can do this summer and next fall during OCI? Should I do mass mailing? Should I try to play alumni connections? Should I try to snag extra interviews during OCI by sneaking into the open lounges? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!!!!

The bolded isn't "sneaking." And absolutely. If a firm has a hospitality suite, go in and talk to people. Have copies of your resume/writing sample/references. Listen to them when they talk (a lot of people forget to listen and just do a lot of talking at these sorts of things). Let them know you are interested in the firm (and why). Politely leave a resume packet with them, even if they don't give you an interview.

MBeezy11

Postby MBeezy11 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:08 am

3L firm hiring is much more driven by specific practice needs than 2L hiring. If a firm is hiring a 3L it is because they are very busy in one area and don’t have enough bodies coming in to fill the needs in say Capital Markets. For example, last summer S&C and K&E were in need of Corporate Associates because they had small classes during the summer with most people targeted for Litigation. Usually, firms will post these jobs on your school’s Career Services website. You should be sure to notice the trend. If you see a ton of lit openings then your resume should be geared to evidence research and writing abilities. So that means during your summer seek out assignments that will give you an opportunity to evidence a litigation skill set.

Also, as a 3L you need to come off as being much more mature than the 2Ls that are being interviewed at the same time. You need to talk and act like a professional. I know its seems obvious but I can’t tell you how many people don’t present themselves as serious individuals when entering hospitality suites or interviews. Some people dress inappropriately and others sound like high school students using colloquial phrases and slang as if the setting doesn’t demand more polished language. You have to remember a partner is always thinking can I trust this person with a client.

Finally, try to turn your summer job offer either into a fall P/T position or a full time offer. When interviewing 3Ls every interviewer is internally questioning why you were not at a firm this summer. They may even ask you so you should definitely have a well-thought answer prepared. If you can add that your summer employer asked you to continue with them it shows that there is nothing lurking in your background that they need to be weary of.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Fri May 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Because I don't think anyone has said this directly yet: if you don't get anything, it doesn't mean you suck or have a terrible personality or whatever. As I understand it, there are almost no 3L positions anyway, and those are mostly for people trying to proxy in using a previous 2L SA that they got an offer out of.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Thank you all. That was helpful.

Return to “Legal Employment”