Question about ABA/school background check

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Question about ABA/school background check

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 8:18 pm

I worked on a few political campaigns through a political consulting firm. I conducted particular duties, but the contract for the firm did not actually cover these duties (which were unbeknownst to me at the time). How do they go about looking into past employment? Would they do this with a political campaign. Strange and exotic titles and tasks seem to be pretty common (unfortunately) in this line of work as opposed to a standard job where you are a cashier or engineer or mechanic or anything common. Anybody have good thoughts about this? Is there anything I can do to protect myself regarding this matter and should I be concerned or is it muchado about nothing? Also, is anybody familiar with the process?

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Question about ABA/school background check

Postby zomginternets » Wed May 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Are you talking about C&F? I don't quite get what the problem is. Did you do something wrong? Why are you worried about having done extra duties not specified in your employment contract? And schools (law schools) don't do background checks, besides asking for a letter of good standing from your UG (and most don't even do that)

SirWilliam1022
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 am

Re: Question about ABA/school background check

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 pm

I put down on my resume for my law school application what I thought my title was only to find out later that at least officially I wasn't quite that high up the ladder... does that make sense?

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Question about ABA/school background check

Postby zomginternets » Wed May 04, 2011 8:35 pm

ohhh.

I don't think it's a problem, as long as you actually did the work that such a title would usually entail.

Edit: you should still correct your title on your resume for future use, but don't worry about it impacting C&F.

SirWilliam1022
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 am

Re: Question about ABA/school background check

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Nice... anybody else have info regarding this. Do you think it is something that I should bring up when applying for the State Bar or will this arise further suspicion... I figure I will probably just bring it up, but yea... I need to clean up my record keeping so that I can provide supporting data and info regarding these campaign duties.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Question about ABA/school background check

Postby Renzo » Wed May 04, 2011 9:52 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Nice... anybody else have info regarding this. Do you think it is something that I should bring up when applying for the State Bar or will this arise further suspicion... I figure I will probably just bring it up, but yea... I need to clean up my record keeping so that I can provide supporting data and info regarding these campaign duties.


It won't be a big deal, but I would send an updated resume to the school. You don't even have to point out what has changed, but it will keep bar examiners later on from noticing a discrepancy.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Question about ABA/school background check

Postby Sup Kid » Wed May 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Renzo wrote:
SirWilliam1022 wrote:Nice... anybody else have info regarding this. Do you think it is something that I should bring up when applying for the State Bar or will this arise further suspicion... I figure I will probably just bring it up, but yea... I need to clean up my record keeping so that I can provide supporting data and info regarding these campaign duties.


It won't be a big deal, but I would send an updated resume to the school. You don't even have to point out what has changed, but it will keep bar examiners later on from noticing a discrepancy.

+1. The school won't care (even if you do explain the reason), but it will ensure that everything is identical come C&F time.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Question about ABA/school background check

Postby Leira7905 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked on a few political campaigns through a political consulting firm. I conducted particular duties, but the contract for the firm did not actually cover these duties (which were unbeknownst to me at the time). How do they go about looking into past employment? Would they do this with a political campaign. Strange and exotic titles and tasks seem to be pretty common (unfortunately) in this line of work as opposed to a standard job where you are a cashier or engineer or mechanic or anything common. Anybody have good thoughts about this? Is there anything I can do to protect myself regarding this matter and should I be concerned or is it muchado about nothing? Also, is anybody familiar with the process?

I can't imagine this being a problem... Certainly nothing to loose sleep over. Sounds like it's pretty easily (and believably) eplained. I mean, no ones perfect, and it doesn't sound like a blatant lie. I think you're fine.
ETA: if something like this were a big problem for C&F, I would think there'd be a lot less lawyers running around out there.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.