awkward meeting w/ summer firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

awkward meeting w/ summer firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 3:43 pm

i recently saw that several partners and associates at the firm i will be at this summer were going to be at an event at my law school so i went to introduce myself and say hi. i had met some of the associates several times during the recruiting process, but it was my first time meeting the other partners and associates. i'm typically very social but am not great at meeting a bunch of new people in a big group setting and now regret going as i feel i acted very awkwardly. for example, when asked about what i had been up to this semester i mentioned several competitions and my note which will be published - although i had no intention of sounding arrogant, in retrospect i feel like i may have come across as bragging. anyways, long story short, do you think bombing a brief meeting like i did is going to make them question my "fit" with the firm and negatively impact my chances at an offer?? sorry if im being overly worried over nothing and thanks for any thoughts.

Corsair

Re: awkward meeting w/ summer firm

Postby Corsair » Wed May 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 8:05 pm

op here - thanks... any other thoughts? anyone think i should preemptively apologize when i arrive?

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Wed May 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Definitely don't preemptively apologize. It sounds like you did nothing wrong and are just being hard on yourself. Don't draw attention to it. On the off chance that someone mentions it to you (they won't) then apologize. Don't sweat it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Most law firms like confidence.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:op here - thanks... any other thoughts? anyone think i should preemptively apologize when i arrive?

0L disclaimer.

But preemptively apologizing for something that they likely a) forgot about and b) wasn't wrong/offensive seems silly and insecure on your part. Even if some of them didn't LOVE you based on that interaction, you have the summer to set a different tone and leave the correct impression. As long as you do that, this one pre-summer interaction likely won't matter. I think you should ignore that it happened and focus on how you will interact better in similar situations which will probably come up in the future. Good luck and congrats on the job.

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed May 04, 2011 8:15 pm

You were probably fine.

The fact that you're concerned about acting douchey is a good thing; so so many law students are completely oblivious to it.

Don't preemptively apologize.
Last edited by flcath on Wed May 04, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed May 04, 2011 8:19 pm

doesnt sound that bad at all -- i think you're just second guessing yourself

ive had socially awkward moments with firm partners and associates before...it is prob a bigger deal to you than it is to them (unless you were egregiously bad, doesnt sound like you were)

ill echo the sentiment of not pre-emptively apologizing...seems even more socially awkward to do that haha

McBean

Postby McBean » Fri May 06, 2011 11:28 am

They already forgot about it. You should too.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri May 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”