0L --> How can I supplement my resume for 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stephencolbert

0L --> How can I supplement my resume for 1L summer?

Postby stephencolbert » Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am

TLS friends -

I'm starting at a T20 in the fall. I applied with a strong LSAT/recs, decent work experience, and bad college transcript. I'd love to end up in DC working on public policy, but I know how competitive it is. Assuming my 1L grades are good enough to compete, what else should I add to my resume before I apply for 1L summer jobs? A few ideas -

1) Dust off the Spanish?
2) Web Design, HTML, etc? - I've seen this on a few internship listings
3) Start a policy blog? - Many listings ask for a writing sample. Would it help if I could also show them a longer sample of quality writing?

I know we're supposed to relax during our 0L summer, but I feel like my resume could use a boost before I start in August.

IzziesGal

Re: 0L --> How can I supplement my resume for 1L summer?

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 am

I've never seen computer skills listed on a legal resume. A legal resume is very different from a standard resume - okay, not very different, but different enough. And you should definitely create a legal resume because employers are used to them and expect a certain style. Your school's career office should have samples either in office or posted on-line. I would try to copy the sample as best as you can. Also not sure about language skills - so hopefully someone else can weigh in on that.

Honestly, though - I don't think there's much you can do before law school actually starts. If your school lets you join a journal or a clinic as a 1L, I'd do that. Also, become active in organizations that would allow you to network. All you need is one rockstar professor faculty advisor who has a ton of connections in DC and then you're off to a great start. Otherwise, just focus on your grades.

Edit: as far as writing samples go, you will have one during 1L. I think all law schools require some form of Legal Research & Writing. You should be submitting a legal writing sample in a common legal convention (memo, brief, casenote, etc.), not a regular generic writing sample. And you're not going to know how to do this until after you've finished the class.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed May 04, 2011 11:47 am

None of the things you have listed (other than Spanish) belong on a legal resume. I would suggest trying to find a connection to a solo practitioner in your area, and offering to just do some work for them on the side. It is a great experience, shouldn't be hard to secure, and will look decent on your resume. Most importantly, it'll give you in-the-trenches battle-stories, which are important to many interviews.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 04, 2011 11:48 am

dust off your Spanish

I got Rosetta stone to do exactly that during my 1L summer, conversational or fluent Spanish will get your resume a lot of second looks for some jobs... but mostly the public interest jobs... the ones that provide direct legal services anyway (Legal Aid, public defenders etc)

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am

stephencolbert wrote:TLS friends -

I'm starting at a T20 in the fall. I applied with a strong LSAT/recs, decent work experience, and bad college transcript. I'd love to end up in DC working on public policy, but I know how competitive it is. Assuming my 1L grades are good enough to compete, what else should I add to my resume before I apply for 1L summer jobs? A few ideas -

1) Dust off the Spanish?
2) Web Design, HTML, etc? - I've seen this on a few internship listings
3) Start a policy blog? - Many listings ask for a writing sample. Would it help if I could also show them a longer sample of quality writing?

I know we're supposed to relax during our 0L summer, but I feel like my resume could use a boost before I start in August.

The best thing you can do over the summer is take it off and revitalize yourself. Trust me, you will be glad you did!

Regarding your proposed options:
1. Speaking Spanish will help you. It will probably help more in PI positions, especially in border states. However, firms and other employers like biligual (or multilingual) employees, and speaking a second language is a significant boost. Far as second languages go, Spanish is a solid choice (possibly the best choice based on the type of law/agency you want to work with).

2. Web Design/HTML is not worth the time unless you are seriously into it. Some legal positions ask for technical skills, but their idea of technically savvy is Microsoft Office. A few IP law positions require greater technical skills, and for those few positions something related to web design might be a minor boost. Overall, not worth the time.

3. If you want to write a policy blog for fun, go ahead. However, you are unlikely to ever use it as a writing sample. Your writing sample will initially be a copy of work from you legal writing class. Later, you might use samples from your legal internships or employment.

The best advice I can give you is to have fun over the summer. Work on Spanish some if you want, but don't do much else unless you enjoy doing it. The most important thing you can do for your 1L job search is get absolutely fantastic 1L Fall grades and participate in activities during your 1L year. You will also get some pro bono options if you look for them to bolster your resume during the school year. Stuff you do after school starts will be much more important, and if you enjoy yourself now you are more likely to have the energy to suck it up, study hard, and get better grades.

Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce » Wed May 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Get a job that actually sounds impressive (even if it pays bad). In undergrad, their was a large corporation headquartered in our city that did a lot of internships through the business school. I took a job in their accounting department making $5.50 an hour (minimum wage was $5.15) and stayed there for four months. I got a big law job 1L and 2L year, and multiple interviewers have brought up that company during interviews -- never regretted working there.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed May 04, 2011 2:26 pm

If you are interested in public policy look into interning for a public policy institute. These can be found in literally every state and most of the time look pretty good on the rez. Some programs offer fellowships and you can actually be paid. I'm earning $$$ by doing research for a policy institute in my home state and also landed a fellowship in Arlington, VA. They cover every thing from airfare, housing, and stipend when I travel between my home state and VA/DC. This is pretty rare but I recommend doing quite a bit of looking into it. I'm sure you'll find something.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed May 04, 2011 2:35 pm

All your ideas suck. To get the most bang for your buck, try spending some time with a US Senator or SCOTUS justice and then transition to work at Bain or McKinsey. That would provide a huge leg up at OCI.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Wed May 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Probably just chill out and crush it during 1L then get on law review. Having cool/extensive work experience can be a talking point during interviews, but some namby-pamby 0L internship isn't gonna matter. Same deal for other miscellaneous experience. "Interests: reading books and watching movies. Proficient with Microsoft Office." That's pretty much true for everyone.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Wed May 04, 2011 4:24 pm

I don't think it's worth your time to learn anything special, but the majority of my interviewers for a 1L summer internship asked if I would be willing to do some web design or database/information systems work. Caveat: I have a technical background and applied for some small PI jobs where legal interns are expected to help out across the board.

I didn't put any of my technical skills on my resume, of course!

Notor

Postby Notor » Thu May 05, 2011 12:59 am

The only thing that OP listed that matters is Spanish skills. If OP was conversational, like everyone else has been saying, he stands a better chance of getting a summer PI job his 1L summer. Those jobs don't suck either, a quality PI summer job is probably what most 1L's could hope for ITE.

Return to “Legal Employment”