Still don't know start date! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Still don't know start date!

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2011 2:59 pm

I recently got and accepted an offer from a mid-sized law firm. They don't have an official summer associate program, so they told me that they'd play it by ear as far as the start date...and...Nothing. I sent in a formal acceptance letter, hoping that it might serve as a reminder for them to call me. I also made a follow-up phone call and was told that they'd try to figure something out in the next couple of days. That was early next week. No word.

This firm is in a different city, so I obviously have to make travel plans, and it's getting to the point where, if they want me to start soon, tickets are going to be outrageously expensive (as they usually are when the date draws near). Also, I was hoping to do some personal travel in-between finals and my start date. If they want me to start right after finals, that's just fine and dandy, but I don't want to find myself twiddling my thumbs because they start date is later and I don't have any intermediate plans.

Is there anything at all that I can do to find out exactly what the plan is? I would feel very awkward calling and pestering them again. Or am I pretty much at their beck and call at this point?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Still don't know start date!

Post by Kohinoor » Mon May 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Just make sure you show up on the first day.

2LLLL

Bronze

Re: Still don't know start date!

Post by 2LLLL » Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 pm

I was in a similar position, and as sketchy as it makes you feel, you do kind of need to pester the firm to give you the information. My advice would be that if they say "a few days" you should call 7-10 days later. Try to actually get someone on the phone-even if its just someone's secretary- as opposed to leaving a VM or e-mail

Borhas

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by Borhas » Tue May 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”