Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Did your GPA increase or decrease during your 2L year?

Poll ended at Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 am

Significant increase
5
12%
Increase
14
34%
About the same
13
32%
Decrease
7
17%
Significant decrease
2
5%
 
Total votes: 41

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 am

A lot of my classmates said that their GPA increased significantly during their 2L fall semester. I am at Hastings, so the 2L spring grades are not out yet (we are still doing final exams). Everyone I talked to felt good about their classes this semester, and many expressed confidence that their GPA would further increase. Mine has increased a little bit (3.1ish to lower 3.2ish).

How about you?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby Kohinoor » Mon May 02, 2011 5:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of my classmates said that their GPA increased significantly during their 2L fall semester. I am at Hastings, so the 2L spring grades are not out yet (we are still doing final exams). Everyone I talked to felt good about their classes this semester, and many expressed confidence that their GPA would further increase. Mine has increased a little bit (3.1ish to lower 3.2ish).

How about you?

Please add an option for "Math. How does it work?"

Stanislaw Carter
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Mon May 02, 2011 7:30 am

God, I love the paranoia.

My prediction for 2012: TLSers posting threads about GPA drops and losing already received permanent offers.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby 98234872348 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:49 am

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:51 am

Poll is pointless if people who go to schools that don't use a forced curve after 1L are voting. If the poll includes everyone then the majority of people will report a GPA increase.

User avatar
tome
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby tome » Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 am

RVP11 wrote:Poll is pointless if people who go to schools that don't use a forced curve after 1L are voting. If the poll includes everyone then the majority of people will report a GPA increase.


Have you made it your life's goal to go and cry on every single TLS thread?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:07 am

tome wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Poll is pointless if people who go to schools that don't use a forced curve after 1L are voting. If the poll includes everyone then the majority of people will report a GPA increase.


Have you made it your life's goal to go and cry on every single TLS thread?


I don't know what you are talking about (who ever does?). This post is just asking for a LOLWUT.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby bport hopeful » Mon May 02, 2011 10:07 am

Zero Sum

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby RVP11 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 am

bport hopeful wrote:Zero Sum


A lot of schools stop forcing a curve after 1L.

Also, even if a school keeps the same curve, it's possible for more people to increase their GPA than decrease, or vice versa.

I realize that's not very consistent with my earlier point. I don't deny that the poll is stupid.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Did your GPA decrease or increase during your 2L year?

Postby random5483 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:56 pm

As mentioned earlier, many schools have more relaxed curves for 2L/3L classes which basically results in higher GPAs. Also, if you are going to a lesser ranked school, top students who transfer out might cause a shift in the curves. I know my school has a less stringent curve for most 2L/3L classes so the average GPA does increase after the first year.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.