MVPB Class rank needed for Skadden M&A?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Theheat633

MVPB Class rank needed for Skadden M&A?

Postby Theheat633 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 am

6'3 social dude with a couple years solid corporate work experience. Does top 20% give me a shot?

Turtledove

Re: MVPB Class rank needed for Skadden M&A?

Postby Turtledove » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:41 am

Theheat633 wrote:6'3 social dude with a couple years solid corporate work experience. Does top 20% give me a shot?

Yes.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:56 am

You could get Skadden NY with worse than top 20%, that's for sure. I'd say top 1/3 and up has a shot.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:11 am

If you interview well you should have a solid chance. Good friend of mine graduated right around the top 1/3rd and is doing M&A work with Skadden. Like you, he is 6'4 and very social. Good luck.
Last edited by InvictusFortis on Tue May 03, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:49 pm

Theheat633 wrote:6'3 social dude with a couple years solid corporate work experience. Does top 20% give me a shot?

InvictusFortis wrote:If you interview well you should have a solid chance. Good friend of mind graduated right around the top 1/3rd and is doing M&A work with Skadden. Like you, he is 6'4 and very social. Good luck.

So.. I'm going to assume these are not height requirements for doing M&A work at Skadden. Can someone enlighten me?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:25 pm

zomginternets wrote:

InvictusFortis wrote:If you interview well you should have a solid chance. Good friend of mind graduated right around the top 1/3rd and is doing M&A work with Skadden. Like you, he is 6'4 and very social. Good luck.

So.. I'm going to assume these are not height requirements for doing M&A work at Skadden. Can someone enlighten me?

Those are the height requirements for doing M&A work at Skadden. They'll take a 6'1" black guy but even that is pushing it.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:30 pm

zomginternets wrote:

skadden is very fratty, no height requirement per se, but u better be an alpha male or ur gonna get destroyed like piggy in lord of the flies.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:32 pm

skadden is very fratty, no height requirement per se, but u better be an alpha male or ur gonna get destroyed like piggy in lord of the flies.

More like "law firm fratty," which means that the attorneys would be beta nerds in almost any other walk of life, but happen to be at the top of the pile in the legal world. Similar concept: Law school hot.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:

More like "law firm fratty," which means that the attorneys would be beta nerds in almost any other walk of life, but happen to be at the top of the pile in the legal world. Similar concept: Law school hot.

yea i absolutely concede i should have qualified my answer with this.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:

See also Law school popular.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

Thank you for properly bluebooking that post.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Turtledove wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

Thank you for properly bluebooking that post.

The way to tell that law school is working is when you care less about the substance of a post than about the fact that the person said affect instead of effect and it's ruining your life.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 pm

dood wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

:roll:

They liked me, so does that make me "alpha?"

Stainslaw Carter has it right. But I will say that Skadden lawyers are more socially adept than most BigLaw lawyers I've met.

As a general rule, Skadden, DPW, STB, and Weil are considered the "social" V10s and DPW, STB, and Cleary are considered the "nice" V10s, but that still doesn't make them social places, or nice places.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:58 pm

I thought these were referring to dick size.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 pm

RVP11 wrote:They liked me, so does that make me "alpha?"

Never question your alpha status, bro. It's decidedly unalpha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:29 pm

The only Skadden person I know personally is a fucking dickhead, I agree with the above assessments

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The only Skadden person I know personally is a fucking dickhead, I agree with the above assessments

haha, the person who interviewed me for one of the other "social" firms was also a dick. But yeah, M&A is dominated by white, alpha males.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:51 pm

haha, the person who interviewed me for one of the other "social" firms was also a dick. But yeah, M&A is dominated by white, alpha males.

lol

For my Vandy interview I was interviewed by a very nice young guy from an M&A firm. He asked me questions about my local sports team because he was from the same area and I managed to pretend having watched the game and cared about it. It worked apparently. I'm not so sure that mentality is such a bad thing after all.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:47 pm

RVP11 wrote:
dood wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

:roll:

They liked me, so does that make me "alpha?"

Stainslaw Carter has it right. But I will say that Skadden lawyers are more socially adept than most BigLaw lawyers I've met.

As a general rule, Skadden, DPW, STB, and Weil are considered the "social" V10s and DPW, STB, and Cleary are considered the "nice" V10s, but that still doesn't make them social places, or nice places.

My interviewer from Weil was this incredibly obnoxious fratboy.

Return to “Legal Employment”