Poverty, taste, and biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Poverty, taste, and biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't wanna out myself.

I am very very poor. I bought my OCI suit at target. Never been to any fancy restaurant, never played golf, never skied, tasted wine, been to operas, etc.

I am going to work for a Biglaw this summer. I can imagine partners and associates there are wealthy. They probably often talk about playing golf, skiing, or whatever luxurious activities, which I never imagine I would ever do.

Is this a problem? I guess, in those firm social events, I would look like Eliza Doolittle.

Younger Abstention

Re: Poverty, taste, and biglaw

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:40 pm

I suggest you tune in to THE ROYAL WEDDING.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:42 pm

You'll be wealthy soon. Then things will be better.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't wanna out myself.

I am very very poor. I bought my OCI suit at target. Never been to any fancy restaurant, never played golf, never skied, tasted wine, been to operas, etc.

I am going to work for a Biglaw this summer. I can imagine partners and associates there are wealthy. They probably often talk about playing golf, skiing, or whatever luxurious activities, which I never imagine I would ever do.

Is this a problem? I guess, in those firm social events, I would look like Eliza Doolittle.

Take first paycheck, buy better suits (100% wool, Hugo Boss or Brooks Brothers). Take said suits to tailor. Allow tailor to work magic. As long as everything you wear fits and nothing you wear contains synthetic materials, you'll look the part.

Be personable. The key to not coming off as poor is being appreciative but not impressed at all times. Its good form to say "thanks for treating me to the wonderful dinner last night" to a partner but bad form to say "I've never eaten anywhere that fancy before." If asked about unknown activities "do you ski" just be like, "you know, I've never been skiing."

BTW, the activities you are describing are what we call "middle class," wealthy, lol no.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 pm

What you need is a good book on etiquette, preferably this (an older edition would work just fine).

The most important thing is etiquette. If you are always polite, well-mannered, and willing to learn about new things, ignorance is quickly forgiven and forgotten.
Last edited by eandy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, you have a couple of options:
1. Tell the truth, OR
2. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Golf

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Conversational problems between young associates and partners don't just arise along income lines. They also arise along gender and racial lines. Just be polite, talk about something you can both relate to. If you can't relate to anything, talk about their work.

Aside from that, just have good table manners. If anything, I think people who come from low-income backgrounds tend to stand out in a good way. They tend to be humble and don't feel any sense of entitlement. If you don't know what wine to order (which shouldn't be a problem, as a summer associate will never be asked to select the wines) or how to do some "high-class" thing, it really doesn't matter. Heck, I'd just blatantly say, "I have no idea about wines." It breaks up the pretentiousness quite a bit.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:59 pm

racial lines

What is this, the 1960s? I mean, I guess it COULD be like this in biglaw, but it hasn't been like this in any office environment in which I've worked. . . ever. People rarely hire people they don't get along with and hiring committees aren't racially homogenous and people don't become or stay high-powered professionals if they don't network across racial lines.

Social class is a much more potent predictor of fit.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Veyron wrote:
racial lines

What is this, the 1960s? I mean, I guess it COULD be like this in biglaw, but it hasn't been like this in any office environment in which I've worked. . . ever.

That's because you're a 1L and you haven't worked in a big law firm (kind of makes me wonder why you're in this thread). The fact that big law firm environments are particularly challenging for minorities is well documented.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 pm

No But seriously, I feel very similar to you. However, I have met many many people at my school who are in the same exact position. I have also talked to quite a few lawyers who say that BigLaw loves bootstraps people. Apparently they tend to be much more grateful for their jobs and the money, whine less, work harder and all that. I don't know if they were just saying that to make me feel better because I am poor and they were born with a silver sppon in their mouths, but whatevs. It gets me through the day.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:06 pm

swc65 wrote:No But seriously, I feel very similar to you. However, I have met many many people at my school who are in the same exact position. I have also talked to quite a few lawyers who say that BigLaw loves bootstraps people. Apparently they tend to be much more grateful for their jobs and the money, whine less, work harder and all that. I don't know if they were just saying that to make me feel better because I am poor and they were born with a silver sppon in their mouths, but whatevs. It gets me through the day.

Nope. It's absolutely 100% true. Just don't get a chip on your shoulder because you used to be po'.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:
Veyron wrote:
racial lines

What is this, the 1960s? I mean, I guess it COULD be like this in biglaw, but it hasn't been like this in any office environment in which I've worked. . . ever.

That's because you're a 1L and you haven't worked in a big law firm (kind of makes me wonder why you're in this thread). The fact that big law firm environments are particularly challenging for minorities is well documented.

That doesn't mean I haven't worked in an office with wealthy professionals. Brosuph, I worked for a place that HIRED NLJ 250 firms (a small company too so I know what went on). It was a small office too. Now granted, the east coast has more racial tension than where I'm from, but still. . .

Also, socialization in my section doesn't occur on racial lines, socialization among my biglawyer friends doesn't occur along racial lines, etc. kida makes me wonder what kind of horrible firm YOU worked for?
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Don't be awestruck, and simply be yourself. Do not bring up your upbringing as a comparative experience unless asked.

If someone begins talking about golf and you're asked, simply state that you never got into it but you are really interested, etc. Just be a well-adjusted person (stay positive), do your work, and no one will think anything of it.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Blended Whisky: Johnny Walker Blue > Gold > Green > Black > Red
Single Malt Whisky: Macallan by year

Sip with spring water, on rocks, or standalone.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Dont most people who have the money to regularly drink Johnny Walker Blue, know its pretty TTT for the price

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:09 pm

That doesn't mean I haven't worked in an office with wealthy professionals. Brosuph, I worked for a place that HIRED NLJ 250 firms.

This really doesn't prove anything about big law firms. And there are easily many distinguishing factors between big law firms and other large corporations that would explain why racial problems are particularly pervasive in the former's environment.

Just to name a few:
1) Higher barriers to entry (in terms of educational credentials)
2) Less rigorous interviewing process
3) Business generation as the key to advancement, and the difficulty minorities have in generating said business.

I could go on. But really just google it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:10 pm

glewz wrote:Blended Whisky: Johnny Walker Blue > Gold > Green > Black > Red
Single Malt Whisky: Macallan by year

Sip with spring water, on rocks, or standalone.

Cr, except no rocks.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:
That doesn't mean I haven't worked in an office with wealthy professionals. Brosuph, I worked for a place that HIRED NLJ 250 firms.

This really doesn't prove anything about big law firms. And there are easily many distinguishing factors between big law firms and other large corporations that would explain why racial problems are particularly pervasive in the former's environment.

Just to name a few:
1) Higher barriers to entry (in terms of educational credentials)
2) Less rigorous interviewing process
3) Business generation as the key to advancement, and the difficulty minorities have in generating said business.

I could go on. But really just google it.

Business generation as the key to advancement - lol, the buisness world blows biglaw out of the water when it comes to that.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Business generation as the key to advancement - lol, the buisness world blows biglaw out of the water when it comes to that.

Thanks for the non-sequiter.

My statements above aren't an indication of my firm (which, if anything, is pretty racially friendly and diverse, and very accommodating of people from every corner, racially, economically, socially, orientationally, whatever). But, it is an indication of the overall big law world.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 pm

*Names buisness generation as the key to advancement as "distinguishing" charactaristic of large firms*

*Is pwnd by reality*

*Calls non-sequiter*

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Veyron wrote:

*Names buisness generation as the key to advancement as "distinguishing" charactaristic of large firms*

*Is pwnd by reality*

*Calls non-sequiter*

Wow, 1L. Get out of this thread.

Do you know what business generation is? Do you know why advancement in a law firm (namely, jumping from associate to partner) hinges on business generation? Do you know what it takes to bring in clients? Are you aware of how these relationships are formed?

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Lol @ "the key to not coming off as poor..."

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Never tasted wine? Wut.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Veyron wrote:

*Is pwnd by reality*

*Calls non-sequiter*

SEQUITUR

SEQUIT-TUR

Return to “Legal Employment”