Does it matter how many weeks you work during 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TigerBeer

Does it matter how many weeks you work during 1L summer?

Postby TigerBeer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:35 pm

I have the option of working anywhere between 8 and 12 weeks this summer. I'm considering whether there's a tangible benefit to biglaw OCI to working as much as possible.

Since you don't normally list exact dates on your resume and only the months, it seems like the employer won't have an idea of how many weeks you spend working unless you tell them, or they ask you. Would they ask something like that? Seems like an odd question.

The position is unpaid, so there's no monetary incentive for me to work more weeks. Actually, there's a monetary incentive for me to work as little as possible, since I have to pay rent and food. I could live at my parents' place otherwise.

I'd be willing to do it if it would help my career chances, but I'm dubious on that. Any advice?

UCLAtransfer

Re: Does it matter how many weeks you work during 1L summer?

Postby UCLAtransfer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:56 pm

I think the only real cost here would be missing out on some of the closer connections you would have with others (co-workers/attorneys/judge/whatever), and obviously fewer assignments/less time working on whatever type of legal work you are doing. Obviously there is SOME value here, but it's entirely debatable whether it is worth the extra $ it will cost you to work a few extra weeks. As for affecting your Biglaw chances, I don't think you really have anything to worry about there.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Work as little or as much as you want.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:Work as little or as much as you want.

Yep. 8 weeks is enough to learn something and make some connections, and that's all you really need. You'll learn more the longer you spend (assuming the job doesn't suck), but if you feel you have better uses of your time, than go do that instead--it won't matter.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:24 pm

1L grades are infinitely more important.

Return to “Legal Employment”