Three suits enough for business formal SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Three suits enough for business formal SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 am

My summer program is 10+ weeks long. I only have three suits: two navy, one charcoal, none of them are pinstriped. All are quality (tailored) suits. Need more to get through the summer?

spaghetti day

Re: Three suits enough for business formal SA?

Postby spaghetti day » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:59 am

Get two more - 1 per workday. You'll need them next year, and wearing a suit more than once per week will shorten its life considerably.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Three suits are enough. Just make sure you have enough shirts/ties to switch it up from day to day.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:42 pm

You can make it on three, provided you have a good variety of shirts/ties to mix up. But, it's sort of the bare minimum, so once you have a little summer pay in your pocket you may want another, just in case of a terrible wardrobe meltdown (like spills on two consecutive days that cause your suits to be gone to the cleaner for three days each).

omg

Postby omg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Why are we (2/3 previous responders) assuming that OP is a male?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:40 pm

omg wrote:Why are we (2/3 previous responders) assuming that OP is a male?

Because there are like 4 women on the whole internet.

OldManHunger

Postby OldManHunger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:19 am

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:44 am

If OP is male:

I agree, 3 is the bare minimum. You'll probably want to go up to 5 because of dry cleaning. People won't really notice/care if they SEE you wearing the same 3 suits all summer (switched up with different ties and shirts), but they will care if your suits get dingy/smelly. And while a dab of cologne is great (imo), it should never be used to mask another smell.

If OP is female:

Ideally 5 suits with both pants and skirts (so essentially 10 suits but only 5 suit jackets), but again you can get away with 3/6 if you stick to blacks and greys. Women's suits are more easily recognizable because of the cut and color. I'd also recommend 10 blouses. Sleeveless blouses with modest necklines are great for the day-to-evening wardrobe changes you'll likely need to make as a summer.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:19 am

Does this apply to 1L summers as well?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:58 am

glewz wrote:Does this apply to 1L summers as well?

This discussion has nothing to do with class year, rather, whether or not your workplace is business formal.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:02 am

Three suits is totally fine -- especially over the summer where most firms have relaxed policies on dress. Have enough shirts and tie combos and you're in good shape.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:28 am

For your sake I hope you're not in NY/DC. Summer in business formal would be hell.

As others said, 3 is probably fine.....but I'd grab two more if I were you. Makes dry-cleaning rotations a lot easier.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:34 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:For your sake I hope you're not in NY/DC. Summer in business formal would be hell.

As others said, 3 is probably fine.....but I'd grab two more if I were you. Makes dry-cleaning rotations a lot easier.

You should not be dry cleaning your suits after every wear, mang.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:42 am

PKSebben wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:For your sake I hope you're not in NY/DC. Summer in business formal would be hell.

Yeah I get mine pressed pretty regularly though. I dry clean VERY rarely....not that my suits are high enough quality to do much damage to them anyway.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:45 am

LOL yeah i hear the summers there are the worst :lol:

/1L SA job in Texas

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:57 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

/1L SA job in Texas

Yeah but you don't get much humidity do you? It's humidity that kills me.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:01 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Yeah I get mine pressed pretty regularly though. I dry clean VERY rarely....not that my suits are high enough quality to do much damage to them anyway.

Actually low quality suits get trashed dry cleaning, but yes -- pressed is the way to go.

I might make a new thread but this seems active -- I'm looking for a NYC tailor -- I'd like to pay less than $100 a shirt. Anyone got suggestions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:25 pm

OP here. I'm a guy.

I'm in a city that is at least as hot as DC/NY (it might even be DC/NY). (This is the summer, though - is there any American city outside of CA/PNW that's NOT hot as crap in the summer???) Don't want to out myself because there are so few business formal firms (I'm sure everyone is already guessing Cravath or Jones Day :| ).

I plan on getting my suits pressed every weekend, but only dry cleaned maybe once about halfway through. Should I get two more suits just so I don't have to worry about them getting too wrinkled throughout the week?

PK - I believe my firm is biz formal all the time. ALL the time.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:28 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

/1L SA job in Texas

lol dude im from Houston. humidity is like 90% :P

this thread has made me decide that i need to get more suits haha

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:36 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

/1L SA job in Texas

lol dude im from Houston. humidity is like 90% :P

i would die.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Nevermind.. found it on NALP

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm a guy.

I'm in a city that is at least as hot as DC/NY (it might even be DC/NY). (This is the summer, though - is there any American city outside of CA/PNW that's NOT hot as crap in the summer???) Don't want to out myself because there are so few business formal firms (I'm sure everyone is already guessing Cravath or Jones Day :| ).

I plan on getting my suits pressed every weekend, but only dry cleaned maybe once about halfway through. Should I get two more suits just so I don't have to worry about them getting too wrinkled throughout the week?

PK - I believe my firm is biz formal all the time. ALL the time.

You don't need to have suits pressed every weekend, even if you are wearing them every day. Get a handheld steamer or hang them in the bathroom when you shower.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:14 pm

I'll try not to poke too much fun of my NY friends when I am in jeans on Friday.

If you did poke, it would fall on deaf ears. Only one, maybe two, firms in NYC require business formal, as far as I know.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:
I'll try not to poke too much fun of my NY friends when I am in jeans on Friday.

If you did poke, it would fall on deaf ears. Only one, maybe two, firms in NYC require business formal, as far as I know.

You're nuts. I can name like 20 firms off the top of my head, including mine, that requires business formal at least 4 days a week for most of the year. The three firms in my ELEVATOR SHAFT require suits until at least Mid-May.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:16 pm

PKSebben wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

You're nuts. I can name like 20 firms off the top of my head, including mine, that requires business formal at least 4 days a week for most of the year. The three firms in my ELEVATOR SHAFT require suits until at least Mid-May.

I didn't know it was so common in NYC. My bad. I thought it was just Cravath and possibly Jones Day.

Return to “Legal Employment”