Golf?! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
albusdumbledore

Silver

Re: Golf?!

Post by albusdumbledore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Cade McNown wrote:zephyr and skw: Dumbledore alternate IDs??

Feel free to think of me as a snob. I think my points are very fair, and my golf knowledge is more reliable than anyone else posting here. Since the fact that I'm a 0L seems relevant to people here, I have one question for OP: When it comes to golf, would you rather take advice from a Golf 0L or a Golf Partner?

edit: for own RC fail.

/involvementITT
:D . You're such a huge douche that it seems more plausible to you that the two people who called you out on a being a douche are in fact one person rather than two people, independently noting your snobbery? That's like meta-douche.

Also, I'd just like to reiterate this point somebody made:
zephyr36 wrote:It's not at all frustrating to have a beginner tag along for a casual game unless you're a huge douche.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:50 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:To derail for a second, wtf is wrong with people, as evidence by the recent rash of "omg how do i socialize/interact with other people/do certain activities" threads?

OP, if you don't know how to play, nor do you feel comfortable playing, then don't play. Go to the event, drive the cart, tell a few jokes, and try not to fart within earshot. Christ.

In a way, I'm kind of excited about it. I feel like if I was ever given the opportunity to get a great SA I'd be at a huge advantage being a normal human being who can speak complete sentences to other human beings. This appears to be a rarity and a way to differentiate oneself.
I have thought the same thing at every ASD or welcome event that I have attended.

Stanislaw Carter

Bronze

Post by Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 pm

To derail for a second, wtf is wrong with people, as evidence by the recent rash of "omg how do i socialize/interact with other people/do certain activities" threads?
Generation Y. I'm telling you.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:59 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:

Feel free to think of me as a snob. I think my points are very fair, and my golf knowledge is more reliable than anyone else posting here. Since the fact that I'm a 0L seems relevant to people here, I have one question for OP: When it comes to golf, would you rather take advice from a Golf 0L or a Golf Partner?

/involvementITT
:D . You're such a huge douche that it seems more plausible to you that the two people who called you out on a being a douche are in fact one person rather than two people, independently noting your snobbery? That's like meta-douche.

zephyr36 wrote:It's not at all frustrating to have a beginner tag along for a casual game unless you're a huge douche.
Again 0L, but I grew up going to 'golf school' every summer, and have played regularly literally since i was able to stand on my own.
I can only agree with thie final point to a certain extent. As I said earlier, know your limits, and know that you are slowing people down.
A few months ago I was playing Spanish Bay with my brother (consistently shoots in the 80s) and my dad (scratch), and we got paired with a guy who was playing by himself. Okay...the situation is much different because we didn't know the guy, much less work with him, and we were there on vacation, and paying as much for a round of golf as I expect to make in a week at my first legal job. That being said, the guy was horrible. SB is a brutal track, and I think I shot 110, but this dude didn't break 275, and he searched for balls, putted out every hole, and caused it to take us 6 HOURS to play a round of golf. We weren't happy to give him pointers, we wanted to push his cart off one of the bluffs to the sharks.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:
To derail for a second, wtf is wrong with people, as evidence by the recent rash of "omg how do i socialize/interact with other people/do certain activities" threads?
Generation Y. I'm telling you.
Yeah, maybe if this golf outing was via facespace everyone would be a lot more comforable

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Wait, there's not going to be... um... girls at these social events... right? :oops:

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:31 pm

beachbum wrote:Wait, there's not going to be... um... girls at these social events... right? :oops:
Just don't do foreign trips. I specifically heard from a kid at my school that he interned with Morgan Stanley in china (he's a chinese citizen) and the guys he worked with would regularly frequent high class whorehouses and they would take clients to these whorehouses.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Wait, there's not going to be... um... girls at these social events... right? :oops:
Just don't do foreign trips. I specifically heard from a kid at my school that he interned with Morgan Stanley in china (he's a chinese citizen) and the guys he worked with would regularly frequent high class whorehouses and they would take clients to these whorehouses.
Now there's a social event I can get behind.

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Load up on balls, grip it and rip it, drop frequently and enjoy the laughs.

The problem with golf is illuminated by the thread, people overthink it. Go out there and enjoy yourself. The people at the event will like you more for having an enjoyable personality than if you could bomb it down the fairway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Golf is the best Scottish drinking game ever. It only sucks if you care about not doing well.

I'm sure a mention how you've never played will give everyone the right context. Just don't show up like this and you'll be fine:
--ImageRemoved--

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Capitol A wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:

/involvementITT

Again 0L, but I grew up going to 'golf school' every summer, and have played regularly literally since i was able to stand on my own.
I can only agree with thie final point to a certain extent. As I said earlier, know your limits, and know that you are slowing people down.
A few months ago I was playing Spanish Bay with my brother (consistently shoots in the 80s) and my dad (scratch), and we got paired with a guy who was playing by himself. Okay...the situation is much different because we didn't know the guy, much less work with him, and we were there on vacation, and paying as much for a round of golf as I expect to make in a week at my first legal job. That being said, the guy was horrible. SB is a brutal track, and I think I shot 110, but this dude didn't break 275, and he searched for balls, putted out every hole, and caused it to take us 6 HOURS to play a round of golf. We weren't happy to give him pointers, we wanted to push his cart off one of the bluffs to the sharks.
i can see that happening, but this is a pretty different scenario. and OP (or I lol) could just pick up the ball and move it if its getting really bad.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Rooney wrote:Golf is the best Scottish drinking game ever. It only sucks if you care about not doing well.

I'm sure a mention how you've never played will give everyone the right context. Just don't show up like this and you'll be fine:
--ImageRemoved--
"If I saw myself in clothes like that, I'd have to kick my own ass."
--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”