Gap Year - Graduation - ? - Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gap Year - Graduation - ? - Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Will law firms hire you for a year knowing that you have a clerkship the next year? What other options do you have to fill the year after graduation but before your clerkship?

XxSpyKEx

Re: Gap Year - Graduation - ? - Clerkship

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 pm

I would just chill out for a year, drink my face off, and do absolutely nothing productive if I were in this type of a position, particularly if it was a relatively prestigious clerkship that begins a year after you graduate. I mean if it's a COA clerkship or a prestigious district court, I'd imagine your going to have some decent employment options, despite not having done anything for a year (although the catch 22 here is that I highly doubt you would ever get into this situation where you have a year to jerk around if you have the stats to get a relatively prestigious clerkship).

If you really need something to do for that year, you could try PI jobs. I heard a lot of deferred entry level associates got hired for a year at PI organizations for that year they had "off."

Return to “Legal Employment”