3L OCIP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:40 pm

My school recommends that every 2L SA sign up for 3L OCIP *just in case* they don't get offers, and then withdraw from the OCIP registration once the offer comes through. Is everyone else doing this? Since firms see your resumes prior to interviews, is there any harm in signing up? I feel like it might get back to the firm that I am scheduled to interview at OCIP before my SA gig even starts. Any thoughts?

conn09

Re: 3L OCIP

Postby conn09 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Doesn't this assume your firm is looking to hire 3Ls?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:52 pm

No harm in signing up as a security blanket. I considered it, but they were so up front about offers during my summer that I didn't feel the need. Don't worry about the employer somehow finding out, even if they do it won't impact your offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 pm

I am going to sign up (1) in case I don't get an offer and (2) because I am not happy with the firm that I am SAing with.

Does anyone know how doing 3L OCIP/other job searching works if you (fingers-crossed) have an offer from a different firm but are looking for something that fits your interests better?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am going to sign up (1) in case I don't get an offer and (2) because I am not happy with the firm that I am SAing with.

Does anyone know how doing 3L OCIP/other job searching works if you (fingers-crossed) have an offer from a different firm but are looking for something that fits your interests better?

I am interested in this as well.

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 pm

I signed up, just in case. If my firm finds out, and if they asked me, that's what I'd tell them. I don't see how that would be a problem. They know what it's like.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am going to sign up (1) in case I don't get an offer and (2) because I am not happy with the firm that I am SAing with.

I'm not sure what the question is here...

Your school should tell you how 3L OCI works but it should be similar to last year but with fewer firms to bid on. As far as outside of OCI, its the same thing the jobless do... send out resumes, contact people you've connected with in the past, contact people who went to your law school who work where you want to work, etc and so forth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The question is how to do 3L OCIP with an offer in hand. I would want to take the offer (finger-crossed) with the less desirable firm if I didn't get anything better with 3L OCIP, but unsure about timing/logistics.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The question is how to do 3L OCIP with an offer in hand. I would want to take the offer (finger-crossed) with the less desirable firm if I didn't get anything better with 3L OCIP, but unsure about timing/logistics.

so wat u saying is u'd like to trade up ur V100 to a V10, but still make sure the V100 doesnt find out about ur backstabbing ways and retract their offer. correct?

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:21 pm

Errr...

...you bid on firms. Of the firms that you win in the lottery, you have a screening interview with them. If they like you enough, they'll invite you on the callback. You go on the callback. If they like you enough at the callback too, they will extend you an offer. If you want to accept the offer, you accept it and decline the offer from the firm you summered at.

That wasn't so hard, was it?

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:21 pm

so wat u saying is u'd like to trade up ur V100 to a V10, but still make sure the V100 doesnt find out about ur backstabbing ways and retract their offer. correct?

This absolutely won't happen.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Employment with law firms is at will. You aren't bound by accepting the offer, nor are they bound by giving you an offer, they make it clear in every communication that they can end it for pretty much any reason. Offers generally came out before OCI for us but after bidding, if you like your offer, you withdraw from OCI, otherwise you've done the bidding and just have to show up for OCI. You don't have to accept the offer on the spot but its a bit awkward otherwise, especially since you won't know about other offers until Sept (after callbacks etc). If you find a job you like better, just call and let them know, be nice, don't speak badly about them, and thank them for the summer experience. Also, put the offer on your resume but be prepared to have a good (not negative) reason for looking for another firm.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:26 pm

I think, per NALP, permanent offers remain open until November 1st.

I don't think it's awkward not to accept on the spot. But I do think it's awkward not to accept soon-ish, which in my opinion means around one to two weeks after the offer has been extended.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:

This absolutely won't happen.

What wont happen? Are you saying that one's current firm will not find out that one has since interviewed with other firms? Or are you saying that even if current firm does find out, this alone will not cause them to rescind their permanent offer? Please be more specific. tyia

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Current firm wont find out prior that you've since interviewed with other firms? That even if current firm does find out, this wont cause them to rescind their permanent offer? Please be more specific. tyia

Both.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:40 pm

getting a V10 offer as a 3L for sure wont happen, bro.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:42 pm

dood wrote:getting a V10 offer as a 3L for sure wont happen, bro.

Why wouldn't it? I know several V10s looking for 3Ls this fall.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:

which ones

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Not true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:44 pm

dood wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

which ones

fwiw, i know a few co'2011s that got v10s 3L year. All went in with permanent offers from lower-ranked firms.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:48 pm

dood wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

which ones

So far, Cleary, Simpson, and Cravath. Wouldn't be surprised if others went in for a resume drop.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dood wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

which ones

fwiw, i know a few co'2011s that got v10s 3L year. All went in with permanent offers from lower-ranked firms.

I know one who got a V10 without having done a firm job the second summer. Is extremely well-credentialed, though.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:
dood wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

which ones

So far, Cleary, Simpson, and Cravath. Wouldn't be surprised if others went in for a resume drop.

I can add Sullivan to this list for firms that hired (not just interviewed) 3Ls to start this fall.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Georgiana wrote:I can add Sullivan to this list for firms that hired (not just interviewed) 3Ls to start this fall.

I was talking about firms that will be recruiting 3Ls this August. Last August, S&C, Cleary, Simpson, Cravath, Davis Polk, Kirkland, and Paul Weiss took 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dood wrote:
Stanislaw Carter wrote:

which ones

Yeah, sorry if my question was vague, but this is what I was wondering.

Return to “Legal Employment”