SA Mentors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Mentors

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:33 pm

If you find out who your summer mentor is going to be, is it suggested to shoot the person an email introducing yourself, or is this the type of sucking-up behavior that's frowned upon? I feel like it would be the polite thing to do, but then again - I've never been an SA before.....

BlueDiamond

Re: SA Mentors

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:35 pm

it depends.. do you want to contact them by e-mail and have them forget who you are by the first day? or, do you want to contact them the first day and have them forget who you are by the second day?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:38 pm

If anyone has been in this boat before, please let me know. If the firm takes the trouble to tell you who they are, aren't they expecting you to contact them?

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:54 pm

We had partner and associate mentors, the partner called me before summer and the associate sent me an email. They sign up to be mentors and are excited about it so I'd let them do the reaching...but there's not harm if you want to send an email, there just isn't much to say at this point (they already have your info from recruiting and the summer program isn't nearly as all encompassing for them as it is for you).

Return to “Legal Employment”