Socialization as an SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Socialization as an SA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:53 pm

This is the part of being a summer associate that freaks me out the most - I just find this aspect of it a painful prospect. I am the type of person who just likes to sit and do my work/eat lunch at my desk. Then again, I am not a total social misfit, but function better in smaller groups, work better alone, am the stereotypical quiet/shy female engineer, and have Asperger's. I have a tendency to clam up and be silent in uncomfortable situations (when I feel like I don't know enough about the conversation, in the face of high levels of snobbery, and talking to attractive men makes me blush even though I have a serious boyfriend). I am going to a very very techy firm in patent lit, so that is probably going to help.

Anyone have any tips on getting through those events as well as lunch/daily social life as an SA? I am concerned that being so shy and focused could hurt my chances at an offer....

Kohinoor

Re: Socialization as an SA

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is the part of being a summer associate that freaks me out the most - I just find this aspect of it a painful prospect. I am the type of person who just likes to sit and do my work/eat lunch at my desk. Then again, I am not a total social misfit, but function better in smaller groups, work better alone, am the stereotypical quiet/shy female engineer, and have Asperger's. I have a tendency to clam up and be silent in uncomfortable situations (when I feel like I don't know enough about the conversation, in the face of high levels of snobbery, and talking to attractive men makes me blush even though I have a serious boyfriend). I am going to a very very techy firm in patent lit, so that is probably going to help.

Anyone have any tips on getting through those events as well as lunch/daily social life as an SA? I am concerned that being so shy and focused could hurt my chances at an offer....

If you're not a total social misfit, you're already ahead of the game. I suspect being nervous around attractive men will not pose a problem for you unless pudgy and untanned does it for you.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I...have Asperger's.

Being well-liked and sociable will always be an advantage in any career. Yours is no exception. That said, if you suffer from a condition like Asperger's, TLS probably isn't the place to be seeking advice on how to improve your social skills. From what I understand (which is admittedly not much), you'd want to talk to a professional, and probably do some cognitive behavioral therapy, to improve your skills. HTH.

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:09 pm

"I am going to a very very techy firm in patent lit, so that is probably going to help."

End of Problem- you'll fit right in :D

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:20 pm

If you actually, certifiably, have aspergers, see a professional as soon as possible.

barry

Postby barry » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:27 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I...have Asperger's.

Being well-liked and sociable will always be an advantage in any career. Yours is no exception. That said, if you suffer from a condition like Asperger's, TLS probably isn't the place to be seeking advice on how to improve your social skills. From what I understand (which is admittedly not much), you'd want to talk to a professional, and probably do some cognitive behavioral therapy, to improve your skills. HTH.

lol i would bet the majority of TLS is aspie to some degree even if they're not aware of it

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:51 pm

These threads continue to amaze me.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Stanislaw Carter wrote:If you actually, certifiably, have aspergers, see a professional as soon as possible.

I don't think many people just "claim" to have Asperger's without having actually been diagnosed with it (unlike ADD/ADHD), so I'm sure she's seen one and probably has been seeing one for quite a while.

OP: I'm assuming you already got the SA position for this summer. I think if you appeared sociable enough in the interview to get the summer SA offer, I wouldn't worry too much. If your work product/ethic is good, then I doubt you'd get dinged/no-offered because you are quiet. (Making partner might be a different question though.)

dood

Postby dood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:49 pm

just be semi-drunk all the time, the ol tampon in ass trick works great so others can't smell the booze on ur breathe.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:52 pm

dood wrote:just be semi-drunk all the time, the ol tampon in ass trick works great so others can't smell the booze on ur breathe.

Huh?

dood

Postby dood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
dood wrote:just be semi-drunk all the time, the ol tampon in ass trick works great so others can't smell the booze on ur breathe.

Huh?

u soak a tampon in vodka and shove it in ur butt, where the alchohol gets absorbed rectally.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:05 pm

dood wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Huh?

u soak a tampon in vodka and shove it in ur butt, where the alchohol gets absorbed rectally.

tyft

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:12 pm

dood wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Huh?

It`s popular in Germany~

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 pm

They may figure it out anyway. That trick doesn't get you semi-drunk.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:have Asperger's...am going to a very very techy firm in patent lit

I think you'll be okay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:00 pm

I think I'll skip drinking heavily/other alcohol related advice. ;)

Yeah, I've gotten treatment for Asperger's, but I still am a solitary, quiet type.

I overlooked the nature of my firm - not all firm cultures are the same, I know, but....

I think what made me completely freak out (instead of just being nervous) was attending a firm event with my boyfriend that literally made me uncomfortable to the point of nausea. He is a patent lit assoc at a big firm, but it is one of the most intense/old-fashioned firms out there, and with a reputation for being pretty douchey. I couldn't imagine having to interact with those people on a daily basis. I am hopeful that my firm is be different, and from the firm events of my own firm that I have been to - this is likely true.

My backup plan is to switch to patent prosecution (I think I made a mistake doing lit), but I don't know how feasible that is as a summer in a firm where the two groups are totally separate.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:18 pm

i dont believe u have asbergers, as all the aspies i know are incoherent and do not have BFs. pictures of urself or we dont believe u.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:23 pm

dood wrote:i dont believe u have asbergers, as all the aspies i know are incoherent and do not have BFs. pictures of urself or we dont believe u.

Picture of aspergers?

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
dood wrote:i dont believe u have asbergers, as all the aspies i know are incoherent and do not have BFs. pictures of urself or we dont believe u.

Picture of aspergers?

no, pics of her. cause u can totally tell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:30 pm

Not that appearance and Asperger's have any correlation, but I have been (degradingly) described to by my classmates as "like a Barbie doll." I am confused by this because I am not blond. But that should give an idea of my general appearance. ;)

Boyfriend is also a bit on the aspie side, although hasn't been diagnosed. Like me, he prefers gaming and reading tech blogs/discussing such things to social interaction, which is why we get along. :)

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not that appearance and Asperger's have any correlation, but I have been (degradingly) described to by my classmates as "like a Barbie doll." I am confused by this because I am not blond. But that should give an idea of my general appearance. ;)

Boyfriend is also a bit on the aspie side, although hasn't been diagnosed. Like me, he prefers gaming and reading tech blogs/discussing such things to social interaction, which is why we get along. :)

dood is right. bikini pics are going to be the only way to help you here.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not that appearance and Asperger's have any correlation, but I have been (degradingly) described to by my classmates as "like a Barbie doll." I am confused by this because I am not blond. But that should give an idea of my general appearance. ;)

NO WAY. NO WAY. ur blowing my mind right now. but now u must poast pics. i have never met an attractive aspie person.

Stanislaw Carter

Postby Stanislaw Carter » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:33 pm

i dont believe u have asbergers, as all the aspies i know are incoherent and do not have BFs. pictures of urself or we dont believe u.

If a girl is hot, she can have aspergers out the wazoo, but she can easily get a boyfriend if she wants one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Boys boys boys. You know that isn't going to happen. I am posting anonymously for a reason - I don't want to proclaim my social ineptitude to the world.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Boys boys boys. You know that isn't going to happen. I am posting anonymously for a reason - I don't want to proclaim my social ineptitude to the world.

ok ok, then can we have a Q&A session?

1. when were u diagnosed?
2. were u popular in HS?

Return to “Legal Employment”