(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrKappus

Re: Going deep in NYU's class?

Postby MrKappus » Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Lol at "I'm posting anon because I don't want to be associated with my TLS screen name." In other news, I am eating an apple because I like the taste of apples.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
When I see this type of information and compare it to other schools data, it quickly becomes apparent that this website drastically overstates the differences in schools. Honestly, it looks like a lot of these firms require about the same GPA from any top 14 school that isn't name Harvard, Yale ,or Stanford. And for many of the extremely selective firms you don't even see a big GPA difference there. If this NYU data is really true people should choose Penn, UVA, or Michigan with a large scholarship over NYU every time. Even if they want to work in NYC. Regardless of which of the schools they go to, they will need about the same GPA to get these jobs.

To be fair, when you see random patterns in clouds or tea leaves you see a reason not to go to NYU.

In all seriousness I'm not limiting this to NYU. I saw some Stanford GPA info (before they switched the P/F thing) for some of the really selective firms, and to be honest, the cutoffs were high enough such that it wouldn't make a person feel that much safer by attending Stanford as opposed to another school that was within the top 10. Once you start seeing cutoffs in the top 10 percent range and higher, what the hell difference is a top 7 from top a 5 percent cutoff? Seriously, at that point a high GPA is a high GPA and you aren't really getting much of a "cushion" by going to a school where they "dip down" to top 7 percent as opposed to top 5. How many people does that sort of cutoff even affect?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
When I see this type of information and compare it to other schools data, it quickly becomes apparent that this website drastically overstates the differences in schools. Honestly, it looks like a lot of these firms require about the same GPA from any top 14 school that isn't name Harvard, Yale ,or Stanford. And for many of the extremely selective firms you don't even see a big GPA difference there. If this NYU data is really true people should choose Penn, UVA, or Michigan with a large scholarship over NYU every time. Even if they want to work in NYC. Regardless of which of the schools they go to, they will need about the same GPA to get these jobs.

To be fair, when you see random patterns in clouds or tea leaves you see a reason not to go to NYU.

In all seriousness I'm not limiting this to NYU. I saw some Stanford GPA info (before they switched the P/F thing) for some of the really selective firms, and to be honest, the cutoffs were high enough such that it wouldn't make a person feel that much safer by attending Stanford as opposed to another school that was within the top 10. Once you start seeing cutoffs in the top 10 percent range and higher, what the hell difference is a top 7 from top a 5 percent cutoff? Seriously, at that point a high GPA is a high GPA and you aren't really getting much of a "cushion" by going to a school where they "dip down" to top 7 percent as opposed to top 5. How many people does that sort of cutoff even affect?

Do you understand what each schools GPA actually mean? Someone said that Michigan 3.64 was top 10%, at NU that's only top 25%. Technically B+ is median for both schools but our egregious A+ requirements boos the shit out of our GPAs. Standford might have had a ridiculous curve too.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue May 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Do you understand what each schools GPA actually mean? Someone said that Michigan 3.64 was top 10%, at NU that's only top 25%. Technically B+ is median for both schools but our egregious A+ requirements boos the shit out of our GPAs. Standford might have had a ridiculous curve too.

They didn't from what I recall. And since the info included the number of students rejected within each GPA range, it still gave a pretty clear picture that many of the top firms basically only look at top candidates regardless of where they go to school. They just vary in terms of what they mean by "top". And like I said, once you get to a certain ranking it's all pretty fungible.

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Wed May 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

spondee

Postby spondee » Wed May 04, 2011 12:43 pm

reversejinx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Median is probably more like 3.**-3.**.

And you should probably take that down--that's the exact kind of information that, if accurate, can screw people over.

I'm guessing it would be impolitic to ask what this was in reference to? V10? Specific firm? NYU? Michigan?

(I realize redacting those numbers now is probably useless, but felt for the sake of good manners, I should do it anyways.)

The quote about median was an estimate of NYU's 1L median. It's just speculation and doesn't need to be redacted.

The part about taking down information was in response to another post that listed a handful of V10 firms' average GPAs for NYU offers. This info was redacted because it could harm NYU students--either by influencing future firm hiring (because they want to appear as selective as "peer" firms) or by limiting future information from OCS (because they fear what they do share will spread online).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 1:59 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I was looking forward to something totally different when coming into this thread.

Disappointment. All around.

The DVD is equally disappointing. I expected something very different from a tagline of "Watch the class of 2012 get fucked."

::edit::
I'm using anon because I go to UVA and don't want that to be associated with my TLS username. tyia mods.

Return to “Legal Employment”