Pay Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pay Question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:54 pm

I have an offer to work at a firm this summer as a 0L and they asked me to get back with what I require for my pay. It is in a midlaw firm in the suburbs of a large southern city. Is 12 an hour a good place to start or is that asking for too much?

moandersen

Re: Pay Question

Postby moandersen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer to work at a firm this summer as a 0L and they asked me to get back with what I require for my pay. It is in a midlaw firm in the suburbs of a large southern city. Is 12 an hour a good place to start or is that asking for too much?

Seems on the low end, but its definitely not too much. 11 years ago I worked for a midsized firm in a large market and made 8.50 (I think). I was in high school then and doing bitch work. Strange that they dont have some preset amount that they give to summer help...

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer to work at a firm this summer as a 0L and they asked me to get back with what I require for my pay. It is in a midlaw firm in the suburbs of a large southern city. Is 12 an hour a good place to start or is that asking for too much?

Start higher. They're not going to immediately withdraw the offer if you ask too much - rather, chances are they'll negotiate it down.

I would start at at least $20 or $25 an hour. They may say ok, in which case that's great, or they say "we'll do $15," in which case you're still ahead compared with if you asked for $12.

I'm doing a term-time internship at a company this semester and they asked me what I thought was a "reasonable rate" because they had never hired law school interns. I said $50/hour, thinking they would negotiate down, but they just said ok.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:02 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

Start higher. They're not going to immediately withdraw the offer if you ask too much - rather, chances are they'll negotiate it down.

I would start at at least $20 or $25 an hour. They may say ok, in which case that's great, or they say "we'll do $15," in which case you're still ahead compared with if you asked for $12.

I'm doing a term-time internship at a company this semester and they asked me what I thought was a "reasonable rate" because they had never hired law school interns. I said $50/hour, thinking they would negotiate down, but they just said ok.

nice.

irie

Postby irie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:09 pm

$12 is what 10th graders make lifeguarding at the community pool, definitely ask for at least $20, it's not outrageous

Return to “Legal Employment”