3Ls and Loyola patent fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gatorade

3Ls and Loyola patent fair

Postby Gatorade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:58 pm

any success stories out there? It can be expensive for an un-employed 3L. thanks for your inputs and please take it easy with the flaming.

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: 3Ls and Loyola patent fair

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:03 pm

tech background? school range/grades?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:38 pm

ITE, if you're a jobless 3L, you should go if you get at least one interview. I don't personally know of any success stories, but such stories shouldn't really matter. We all know that 3L hiring, at best, is anemic. TCR is to (1) polish the fck out of your resume/cover letter (e.g. write a specific cover letter for each firm bid), (2) REALLY get ready to interview, do tons of firm research/polish the fck out of your interviewing abilities, etc..., and (3) travel to CHI if you get at least one interview (and one could make the argument that the resume drops/hospitality suites would be worth the trip, depending upon how far away/cost factor).

Moreover, if you're a jobless 3L and you want a firm job, you should be getting ready to mount the mail-campaign of the century. Seriously, dood/anybody else, get ready to fire-off hundreds of resume/cover letter combos as soon as you're done exams (or maybe earlier, I don't have any personal experience with mass-mail, as I only did a small mail campaign last summer).

You never know. I was speaking with a partner at a midsized firm (100+ attorneys) from my hometown. We were discussing the economy, the hiring model, and ITE's "hiring hedging" (relative to the boomtimes, of course). He suggested that, due to how much his firm (which I'd guess is indicative of firms situated similarly to his) had cut back last year/this year and the recent increase in business, they would likely be in the 3L hiring market. Not like a few 3Ls, but one. Tops. Extrapolated across the board could represent a minor uptick in 3L hiring. To be sure, however, this is all conjecture based upon my conversation with some partner dood and could be completely untrue, or not. At the very least, it could serve as motivation to get that mail campaign done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:ITE, if you're a jobless 3L, you should go if you get at least one interview. I don't personally know of any success stories, but such stories shouldn't really matter. We all know that 3L hiring, at best, is anemic. TCR is to (1) polish the fck out of your resume/cover letter (e.g. write a specific cover letter for each firm bid), (2) REALLY get ready to interview, do tons of firm research/polish the fck out of your interviewing abilities, etc..., and (3) travel to CHI if you get at least one interview (and one could make the argument that the resume drops/hospitality suites would be worth the trip, depending upon how far away/cost factor).

Moreover, if you're a jobless 3L and you want a firm job, you should be getting ready to mount the mail-campaign of the century. Seriously, dood/anybody else, get ready to fire-off hundreds of resume/cover letter combos as soon as you're done exams (or maybe earlier, I don't have any personal experience with mass-mail, as I only did a small mail campaign last summer).

You never know. I was speaking with a partner at a midsized firm (100+ attorneys) from my hometown. We were discussing the economy, the hiring model, and ITE's "hiring hedging" (relative to the boomtimes, of course). He suggested that, due to how much his firm (which I'd guess is indicative of firms situated similarly to his) had cut back last year/this year and the recent increase in business, they would likely be in the 3L hiring market. Not like a few 3Ls, but one. Tops. Extrapolated across the board could represent a minor uptick in 3L hiring. To be sure, however, this is all conjecture based upon my conversation with some partner dood and could be completely untrue, or not. At the very least, it could serve as motivation to get that mail campaign done.

start mass mailing in June for jobs after graduation you say? will they get forgotten/discarded because they were sent too early? i am not being cynical/sarcastic.

Gatorade

Postby Gatorade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:ITE, if you're a jobless 3L, you should go if you get at least one interview. I don't personally know of any success stories, but such stories shouldn't really matter. We all know that 3L hiring, at best, is anemic. TCR is to (1) polish the fck out of your resume/cover letter (e.g. write a specific cover letter for each firm bid), (2) REALLY get ready to interview, do tons of firm research/polish the fck out of your interviewing abilities, etc..., and (3) travel to CHI if you get at least one interview (and one could make the argument that the resume drops/hospitality suites would be worth the trip, depending upon how far away/cost factor).

i did a small scale mail carpet bombing, large firms sent me a letter, medium/smaller firms kept silent. but I will be doing that again! my class mate tried drop by law offices in person and asking for interviews, i am considering doing that after summer.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

start mass mailing in June for jobs after graduation you say? will they get forgotten/discarded because they were sent too early? i am not being cynical/sarcastic.

I don't know, dood, I never really had to do a huge campaign last summer. If I didn't have a jerb, however, that's what I'd do. I assume/recall from speaking with others that mailing starts in the end of June at the latest, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”