Golf and Networking in Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
powerlawyer06

Golf and Networking in Big Law

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:28 am

I have found some threads on this topic but I have a sort of specific question so here goes...

Does golf play a role in networking and getting ahead in Big Law? I understand how golf and networking on the golf course can help a lawyer with his own firm or someone actively courting clients but does golf have a role in big law? It seems like most associates in big law would almost never be in the position to use their golf skills to get ahead in the company. Am I wrong about this? Do senior partners judge associates based on their golf skills?

I only ask because it was touted as a "big" plus when I went into finance but in practice no one ever went golfing. Sure the old guys did sometimes but most of our extracurricular networking just involved drinking. I think its importance in business networking has diminished over time, especially if you are in a huge firm.

Thoughts?

buckilaw

Re: Golf and Networking in Big Law

Postby buckilaw » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 am

Can you bill for putting? I think not.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:44 am

Firms in NYC have events at country clubs one day a year in the summer so that golf would be useful there. Though if you have a membership at a great club with an exclusive course --like the Westchester Country Club --where you can bring people as guests to play at a course they might otherwise access, I think that could help out. Though I wonder if partners would like being shown up by an associate's country club if it is more exclusive than the club they belong to?

But there your wealth and connections are probably the major ingredient, not how well you play golf.

I don't know about firms other places, I think golf is more important in other places in the US. Still, once you get in the right group of business people, I think that business does get done on the golf course.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:02 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:I have found some threads on this topic but I have a sort of specific question so here goes...

Does golf play a role in networking and getting ahead in Big Law? I understand how golf and networking on the golf course can help a lawyer with his own firm or someone actively courting clients but does golf have a role in big law? It seems like most associates in big law would almost never be in the position to use their golf skills to get ahead in the company. Am I wrong about this? Do senior partners judge associates based on their golf skills?

I only ask because it was touted as a "big" plus when I went into finance but in practice no one ever went golfing. Sure the old guys did sometimes but most of our extracurricular networking just involved drinking. I think its importance in business networking has diminished over time, especially if you are in a huge firm.

Thoughts?

I fucking love golf so I hope so. One or two smaller biglaw refugee boutiques were all golfers and did a lot of events that way.

I don't understand what you mean by "have a role in biglaw." I'm sure it helps with client solicitation to some degree. Mainly, I think it's the secondary effects. People only join CC if they have the money. If someone has a legal issue, then it's not uncommon (at my club at least) for them to ask a member for a referral or if it's worth escalating up. It just gives you exposure to a number of successful people. My dad would take big clients out to our country club sometimes. As long as you're not a hacker, then you're ok. Not like you need to go out and shoot even par.

edit: I'm from the southeast, so maybe it's a bigger deal down here than it is up north.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Very few people play golf at my NYC biglaw firm. It isn't really a thing.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Skeet and trap shooting = the new golf. You hear it here first.

Return to “Legal Employment”