Which law clinic should I choose?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Which law clinic should I choose?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:58 pm

2L Emory/Wustl/UIUC/GW/Forhdam/BC/BU student interested in corporate law. 2L SA position at a southern midlaw/biglaw shop.
Which one should I take given that I am indifferent about NY/DC
Would love to work in DC/NY after graduation. Top 20% grades.

1. NY semester clinic with an investment bank, attorney general or FINRA
2. DC semester clinic with the DOJ or SEC


Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dooood
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Re: Which school clinic is better?

Postby dooood » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L Emory/Wustl/UIUC/GW/Forhdam/BC/BU student interested in corporate law. 2L summer internship at a southern midlaw/biglaw shop.
Which one should I take given that I am indifferent about NY/DC
Would love to work in DC/NY after graduation. Top 20% grades.

1. NY semester clinic with an investment bank, attorney general or FINRA
2. DC semester clinic with the DOJ or SEC


Thanks

The SEC clinic would probably be the best, because it will be applicable to firms specializing in the broadest range of corporate practices. AG and DOJ are too litigation-oriented. Working with an i-bank (presumably doing due diligence work) would be good if you are dead set on M&A. Your work at FINRA might be similar to what you do at the SEC, and will allow you to be in NY (not nearly as many corporate practices in DC), but the SEC clinic will probably be viewed as more prestigious.

dooood
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Re: Which law clinic should I choose?

Postby dooood » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L Emory/Wustl/UIUC/GW/Forhdam/BC/BU student interested in corporate law. 2L SA position at a southern midlaw/biglaw shop.
Which one should I take given that I am indifferent about NY/DC
Would love to work in DC/NY after graduation. Top 20% grades.

1. NY semester clinic with an investment bank, attorney general or FINRA
2. DC semester clinic with the DOJ or SEC


Thanks

Just noticed the first bolded part (or maybe you edited it in). I think the point is moot, because you've missed NY/DC biglaw (at least for the first three years of your career) if you already have a 2L SA in a different firm. If the southern firm practices corporate law, though, maybe ask them which experience would be most value-add to their practice

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which law clinic should I choose?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

what kind of chances do you think i have at ny/dc biglaw/midlaw

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Which law clinic should I choose?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:what kind of chances do you think i have at ny/dc biglaw/midlaw


Probably no shot at DC (DC is ridiculously competitive right now). Not a very good chance at NY either, sorry to say (most biglaw/midlaw firms complete nearly all their hiring out of their 2L summer classes nowadays -- the only firms, for the most part, that underhired 3Ls the last year were the top firms (think v15ish), and you don't have a shot at those with your school and grades). I'd suggest an art III clerkship, but you won't be able to snag one of those up either with your stats... But at least you got that 2L SA position at a southern midlaw/biglaw shop (a job in a location that is not your top pick is better than no job at all).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which law clinic should I choose?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:49 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what kind of chances do you think i have at ny/dc biglaw/midlaw


Probably no shot at DC (DC is ridiculously competitive right now). Not a very good chance at NY either, sorry to say (most biglaw/midlaw firms complete nearly all their hiring out of their 2L summer classes nowadays -- the only firms, for the most part, that underhired 3Ls the last year were the top firms (think v15ish), and you don't have a shot at those with your school and grades). I'd suggest an art III clerkship, but you won't be able to snag one of those up either with your stats... But at least you got that 2L SA position at a southern midlaw/biglaw shop (a job in a location that is not your top pick is better than no job at all).


Thanks for the advice. What about if i can achieve top 10% after this semester?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Which law clinic should I choose?

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what kind of chances do you think i have at ny/dc biglaw/midlaw


Probably no shot at DC (DC is ridiculously competitive right now). Not a very good chance at NY either, sorry to say (most biglaw/midlaw firms complete nearly all their hiring out of their 2L summer classes nowadays -- the only firms, for the most part, that underhired 3Ls the last year were the top firms (think v15ish), and you don't have a shot at those with your school and grades). I'd suggest an art III clerkship, but you won't be able to snag one of those up either with your stats... But at least you got that 2L SA position at a southern midlaw/biglaw shop (a job in a location that is not your top pick is better than no job at all).


Thanks for the advice. What about if i can achieve top 10% after this semester?

The issue isn't really your grades, so much as its the fact that you'd be trying to get an offer as a 3L. With top 20% grades your best shot was getting into a NY firm for your 2L summer. That said, if you are top 10%, you get an offer from your summer firm this year (IMPORTANT), and your school is able to get firms to interview 3Ls during your OCI, you have a slight shot of getting NYC (unlikely to get DC as others have mentioned). You can also try direct mailing, but in general you have a big, uphill battle to try and get a 3L Biglaw job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which law clinic should I choose?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what kind of chances do you think i have at ny/dc biglaw/midlaw


Probably no shot at DC (DC is ridiculously competitive right now). Not a very good chance at NY either, sorry to say (most biglaw/midlaw firms complete nearly all their hiring out of their 2L summer classes nowadays -- the only firms, for the most part, that underhired 3Ls the last year were the top firms (think v15ish), and you don't have a shot at those with your school and grades). I'd suggest an art III clerkship, but you won't be able to snag one of those up either with your stats... But at least you got that 2L SA position at a southern midlaw/biglaw shop (a job in a location that is not your top pick is better than no job at all).


Thanks for the advice. What about if i can achieve top 10% after this semester?

The issue isn't really your grades, so much as its the fact that you'd be trying to get an offer as a 3L. With top 20% grades your best shot was getting into a NY firm for your 2L summer. That said, if you are top 10%, you get an offer from your summer firm this year (IMPORTANT), and your school is able to get firms to interview 3Ls during your OCI, you have a slight shot of getting NYC (unlikely to get DC as others have mentioned). You can also try direct mailing, but in general you have a big, uphill battle to try and get a 3L Biglaw job.


FWIW, my t10 had a total of 8 law firms nationwide interviewing 3Ls at all, and they all had a limited number of spots open for 3L interviews. The average number of interviews 3Ls received was between 0-1. Again, some TOP firms were hiring 3Ls at OCI and outside of OCI (mostly in corporate) but you aren’t likely to get that with your school and grades (you maybe would have a shot if you were something like #1 in your class – everyone I heard of snagging up a spot at one of these firms as a 3L had killer grades (like top 5%ish) at t14 schools).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.