Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby random5483 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:01 pm

First, what is the dress code? The law clerks who did most of the interviewing worse very casual clothes (one even wore jeans to the interview). Should I wear a suit the first day and then switch to slacks/dress shirt if appropriate?

Second, do interns for the federal courts do online or book research? I have very limited book research skills; therefore, if I need them, I might have to spend some time in the library after finals.


Sorry if any of these questions have been answered before, but I could not find anything here or on google. I plan on sending an email to the law clerk to find out more, but I figured this might be a good resource for an initial inquiry. Also, I'd prefer not to mention the court I will be interning with; however, if that makes a difference, I can mention the district.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Suit & tie for an interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 pm

random5483 wrote:First, what is the dress code? The law clerks who did most of the interviewing worse very casual clothes (one even wore jeans to the interview). Should I wear a suit the first day and then switch to slacks/dress shirt if appropriate?

Second, do interns for the federal courts do online or book research? I have very limited book research skills; therefore, if I need them, I might have to spend some time in the library after finals.


Sorry if any of these questions have been answered before, but I could not find anything here or on google. I plan on sending an email to the law clerk to find out more, but I figured this might be a good resource for an initial inquiry. Also, I'd prefer not to mention the court I will be interning with; however, if that makes a difference, I can mention the district.


Former federal district court clerk here. My district court judge maintained a very informal chambers. Wear a suit the first day, then ask the clerks how you are expected to dress. I suspect the answer will be that you will wear a suit when you are in court (unless the externs/interns sit somewhere where their court affiliation is not obvious), and that you can dress as casually as the clerks do the rest of the time.

I don't recall ever consulting a book during my district court clerkship. Everything was Lexis/Westlaw. I think I was at the tail end of my clerkship when I finally went to see the court's library, just to be aware of what floor it was on.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Suit & tie for an interview.


Not the question asked.

OP - as far as dress code goes, just call and ask. It's a reasonable question.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby YourCaptain » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm

It will differ greatly by judge; either call in and ask or show up in a suit Day 1 and be told either that you're dressed properly or that you can be more casual.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby Veyron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

You always wear a suit on day 1, its a formality. Then start dressing like everyone else does. Easy.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby random5483 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
random5483 wrote:First, what is the dress code? The law clerks who did most of the interviewing worse very casual clothes (one even wore jeans to the interview). Should I wear a suit the first day and then switch to slacks/dress shirt if appropriate?

Second, do interns for the federal courts do online or book research? I have very limited book research skills; therefore, if I need them, I might have to spend some time in the library after finals.


Sorry if any of these questions have been answered before, but I could not find anything here or on google. I plan on sending an email to the law clerk to find out more, but I figured this might be a good resource for an initial inquiry. Also, I'd prefer not to mention the court I will be interning with; however, if that makes a difference, I can mention the district.


Former federal district court clerk here. My district court judge maintained a very informal chambers. Wear a suit the first day, then ask the clerks how you are expected to dress. I suspect the answer will be that you will wear a suit when you are in court (unless the externs/interns sit somewhere where their court affiliation is not obvious), and that you can dress as casually as the clerks do the rest of the time.

I don't recall ever consulting a book during my district court clerkship. Everything was Lexis/Westlaw. I think I was at the tail end of my clerkship when I finally went to see the court's library, just to be aware of what floor it was on.



Thanks for the detailed answer. Thanks to everyone else for the information as well. Looks like I will go in with a suit the first day, and dress more casually (dress shirt/slacks) after that if needed. I am glad courts have Lexis/Westlaw. I'd be lost if I had to do book research.

jc1988
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby jc1988 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:41 am

tx for asking the questions i had :P. I am working for a district judge too. Good luck to you as well!

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:20 pm

We need a sticky-ed thread that says, "the answer to all job dress code questions is: wear a suit the first day and then ask about the dress code."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal District Court - Dress Code/Research Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Veyron wrote:You always wear a suit on day 1, its a formality. Then start dressing like everyone else does. Easy.


Agreed. I think most judges want a jacket on if you go into the court room. The judge I externed for was particularly traditional. For women, it was a skirt suit, pantyhose, and heels in the courtroom, flats and jacket removed OK in chambers.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.