What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby roranoa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:09 am

(sorry if if wrong forum. Can't find one that fits)

I wonder how different a lawyers' life would be from regular corporations.(e.g. GE) For example, how much time do lawyers spend time chitchatting and politicking with colleagues at work? (cuz I'm not very good at that)

Also, I'm really curious about what really goes on in a law firm
and I can't find any websites other than the Anonymous Lawyer
blog. Are there any websites equivalent to Mergers & Inquisitions in the law practicing field?

Mase
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:20 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Mase » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:53 am

Aston Martins and golf during the day. Bottles and models during the night. You should be able to find something in this forum. Otherwise call around, they will all confirm bottles and models.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:13 am

Mase wrote:Aston Martins and golf during the day. Bottles and models during the night. You should be able to find something in this forum. Otherwise call around, they will all confirm bottles and models.


'bout sums it up.

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Rooney » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:17 am

roranoa wrote:(sorry if if wrong forum. Can't find one that fits)

I wonder how different a lawyers' life would be from regular corporations.(e.g. GE) For example, how much time do lawyers spend time chitchatting and politicking with colleagues at work? (cuz I'm not very good at that)

Also, I'm really curious about what really goes on in a law firm
and I can't find any websites other than the Anonymous Lawyer
blog. Are there any websites equivalent to Mergers & Inquisitions in the law practicing field?


Image
sorry, couldn't resist.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby roranoa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 am

Mase wrote:Aston Martins and golf during the day. Bottles and models during the night. You should be able to find something in this forum. Otherwise call around, they will all confirm bottles and models.


I do understand my question might sound a bit immature but I'm really curious about this.

But thanks for the joke. Better than having no replies.

User avatar
Rooney
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Rooney » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 am

Here you go: BigLaw Associate Taking Questions - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=153888

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby rose711 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:44 am

I think you mean Mergers and Acquisitions or M&A.

I don't think lawyers in firms or corporations spend a lot of time chitchatting, due to lack of time - but they all have to keep their eyes on the politics/power structure of their work environment.

Is that really the most pressing question you have?

Maybe you should work as a paralegal for a year or two to get a good idea of what practicing law is all about. I think you will see that chitchat isn't on the list. If you mean is it important to be well-liked, then, of course, everyone needs to fit into their work place.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Pricer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 am

rose711 wrote:I think you mean Mergers and Acquisitions or M&A.

I don't think lawyers in firms or corporations spend a lot of time chitchatting, due to lack of time - but they all have to keep their eyes on the politics/power structure of their work environment.

Is that really the most pressing question you have?

Maybe you should work as a paralegal for a year or two to get a good idea of what practicing law is all about. I think you will see that chitchat isn't on the list. If you mean is it important to be well-liked, then, of course, everyone needs to fit into their work place.



http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/

User avatar
nOO law
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:31 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby nOO law » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:07 am

rose711 wrote:I think you mean Mergers and Acquisitions or M&A.

I don't think lawyers in firms or corporations spend a lot of time chitchatting, due to lack of time - but they all have to keep their eyes on the politics/power structure of their work environment.

Is that really the most pressing question you have?

Maybe you should work as a paralegal for a year or two to get a good idea of what practicing law is all about. I think you will see that chitchat isn't on the list. If you mean is it important to be well-liked, then, of course, everyone needs to fit into their work place.


Actually, I think the OP is referring to a website:

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/

ETA: damn, beat me to it.

User avatar
JPrezy87
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby JPrezy87 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:20 am

Mase wrote:Aston Martins and golf during the day. Bottles and models during the night. You should be able to find something in this forum. Otherwise call around, they will all confirm bottles and models.


I can tell you don't work at a Big Law firm ;)

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby afc1910 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:00 pm

.
Last edited by afc1910 on Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Mase wrote:Aston Martins and golf during the day. Bottles and models during the night. You should be able to find something in this forum. Otherwise call around, they will all confirm bottles and models.


Dammit. OP posted this in another forum and I had the exact same answer and then he moved the thread over here.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:09 pm

afc1910 wrote:One take on being a BigLaw lawyer can be found here: http://thepeoplestherapist.com/
Although I'm sure there are happy less miserable attorneys out there working in so-called BigLaw. You should read his posts in conjunction with comments to each post.

I read that first post and all it did was convince me that the guys problem is his marriage, not his job.

Key point of this thread: don't get married and work in biglaw, do one or the other.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
afc1910 wrote:One take on being a BigLaw lawyer can be found here: http://thepeoplestherapist.com/
Although I'm sure there are happy less miserable attorneys out there working in so-called BigLaw. You should read his posts in conjunction with comments to each post.

I read that first post and all it did was convince me that the guys problem is his marriage, not his job.

Key point of this thread: don't get married and work in biglaw, do one or the other.


On a related note. Don't enjoy sunlight and work in biglaw. Do one or the other.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:54 pm

This is what it's like taking your first deposition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjtnRmy0H-U&NR=1

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:21 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
afc1910 wrote:One take on being a BigLaw lawyer can be found here: http://thepeoplestherapist.com/
Although I'm sure there are happy less miserable attorneys out there working in so-called BigLaw. You should read his posts in conjunction with comments to each post.

I read that first post and all it did was convince me that the guys problem is his marriage, not his job.

Key point of this thread: don't get married and work in biglaw, do one or the other.


On a related note. Don't enjoy sunlight and work in biglaw. Do one or the other.

sarcasm, you missed it.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby RVP11 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Most stories about the misery of BigLaw come out of NYC. That should tell you something.

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby roranoa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:24 pm

RVP11 wrote:Most stories about the misery of BigLaw come out of NYC. That should tell you something.


Many of the replies have very cynical perspectives of BigLaw. Is there somewhere (a website) where I can find more balanced perspectives of the life of a BigLaw lawyer?(This was my original question)

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby lisjjen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
afc1910 wrote:One take on being a BigLaw lawyer can be found here: http://thepeoplestherapist.com/
Although I'm sure there are happy less miserable attorneys out there working in so-called BigLaw. You should read his posts in conjunction with comments to each post.

I read that first post and all it did was convince me that the guys problem is his marriage, not his job.

Key point of this thread: don't get married and work in biglaw, do one or the other.


On a related note. Don't enjoy sunlight and work in biglaw. Do one or the other.

sarcasm, you missed it.


On a related note. Collaborative sarcasm. You missed it.

Jessep
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Jessep » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm a big law corporate lawyer and love it. I can't imagine doing anything else right now. Lots of responsibility, challenging work, great people willing to teach, and a fair amount of independence.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:10 am

roranoa wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Most stories about the misery of BigLaw come out of NYC. That should tell you something.


Many of the replies have very cynical perspectives of BigLaw. Is there somewhere (a website) where I can find more balanced perspectives of the life of a BigLaw lawyer?(This was my original question)

No, because the only people who talk about Biglaw are the people who hate it. There are plenty of threads here with current associates answering questions. Follow the link that was posted above for one of them.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:05 am

It doesn't really make sense to me why people try to convince themselves that biglaw isn't the worst situation you could be in as a lawyer. Think about it: only 5-10% of people in biglaw actually become partners. Therefore, either a whole bunch of people who LIKE biglaw are getting dumped by their firms after 7-10 years, OR people are leaving before they could become partner because the hours are awful, the stress is incredible, etc. Biglaw pays more than pretty much every other kind of legal job and yet people are still leaving in droves to do other things. At some point you have to be rational and ask yourself why this is.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:It doesn't really make sense to me why people try to convince themselves that biglaw isn't the worst situation you could be in as a lawyer. Think about it: only 5-10% of people in biglaw actually become partners. Therefore, either a whole bunch of people who LIKE biglaw are getting dumped by their firms after 7-10 5-7 years, OR people are leaving before they could become partner because the hours are awful, the stress is incredible, etc. Biglaw pays more than pretty much every other kind of legal job and yet people are still leaving in droves to do other things. At some point you have to be rational and ask yourself why this is.


And BigLaw the worst situation you could be in as a lawyer? Yeah, 160k for 60 hr avg. work weeks sounds way worse than unemployment, contracting to do doc review, making 30k while working for clients that think they deserve justice and lawyers should be free, making 60k for 60 hr avg. work weeks, or any of those other posh positions I'm forgetting about right now.

motownsaint
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:38 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby motownsaint » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:It doesn't really make sense to me why people try to convince themselves that biglaw isn't the worst situation you could be in as a lawyer. Think about it: only 5-10% of people in biglaw actually become partners. Therefore, either a whole bunch of people who LIKE biglaw are getting dumped by their firms after 7-10 years, OR people are leaving before they could become partner because the hours are awful, the stress is incredible, etc. Biglaw pays more than pretty much every other kind of legal job and yet people are still leaving in droves to do other things. At some point you have to be rational and ask yourself why this is.


Hey, don't forget your LSAT lessons just yet.

There's a big leap between knowing that the number of people in biglaw who become partners is 5-10% and the spurious conclusion that people are leaving before they could do so because their life sucks.

I'm also not sure why facing the up-or-out seniority system can be seen as a "worst situation," even if you do fail to make partner. While not ideal, it doesn't take an appreciable amount of imagination to come up with worse situations and options.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: What is it like being a BigLaw lawyer?

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:30 pm

motownsaint wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:It doesn't really make sense to me why people try to convince themselves that biglaw isn't the worst situation you could be in as a lawyer. Think about it: only 5-10% of people in biglaw actually become partners. Therefore, either a whole bunch of people who LIKE biglaw are getting dumped by their firms after 7-10 years, OR people are leaving before they could become partner because the hours are awful, the stress is incredible, etc. Biglaw pays more than pretty much every other kind of legal job and yet people are still leaving in droves to do other things. At some point you have to be rational and ask yourself why this is.


Hey, don't forget your LSAT lessons just yet.

There's a big leap between knowing that the number of people in biglaw who become partners is 5-10% and the spurious conclusion that people are leaving before they could do so because their life sucks.

I'm also not sure why facing the up-or-out seniority system can be seen as a "worst situation," even if you do fail to make partner. While not ideal, it doesn't take an appreciable amount of imagination to come up with worse situations and options.

I doubt he even has that level of imagination.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.