Biglaw Associate Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
3rdYrLitigator

Re: Biglaw Associate Taking Questions

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 pm

mottainai wrote:A bit generic, but...what are the best and worst parts of your job?

Also, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I wish I could push a like button.

Best part - it's interesting, challenging work. I really do like the work I do. The worst part are the hours, they can be brutal and crushing at times.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:07 pm

what is a typical schedule like? Has work become less difficult/demanding now that you have been doing it for a while?

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:When you say you can't believe you interviewed a lot of crappy students, what made these interviewees so bad? And any good tips about interviewing? Thanks a lot for answering questions!

It's hard to say what makes them crappy. I can tell within about 2 minutes when it's going to be a terrible interview. I asked an interviewee what they did in their spare time and his answer was "nothing." If you can't answer a question like that, you're in trouble. You have to be able to keep up a general conversation, talk about your career goals, and why you're interested in the law/law firm and you'll be fine.

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:How much do you like/dislike your fellow associates and the partners?

By and large I really like my fellow associates and partners I work for.

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:what is a typical schedule like? Has work become less difficult/demanding now that you have been doing it for a while?

Do you mean hours? I'd say I'm in around 8:30 and leave around 6:30 on a light day and to about 8:30 or 9:30 on a busy day. I'd say it's gotten more demanding, I have a lot more responsibility now and it requires a lot more focus than what you do as a younger associate.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 pm

1st year associate splitting between IP and lit. When should I attempt my master plan to lateral out of NYC to the greener pastures of smaller market biglaw?

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 pm

PKSebben wrote:1st year associate splitting between IP and lit. When should I attempt my master plan to lateral out of NYC to the greener pastures of smaller market biglaw?

Depends but 3r to 5th year is a common lateral time.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Is there much international work in your field? Where are you seeing more/more interesting work?

Re: hours, realistically, how many days in a month are 'light'?

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Is there much international work in your field? Where are you seeing more/more interesting work?

Re: hours, realistically, how many days in a month are 'light'?

When you say international work what do you mean? Do I work with international clients? Yes, a lot actually. I'm not litigating internationally.

I'm not sure what you mean where I'm seeing more interesting work, can you rephrase that?

Totally depends on the stage of the case and how many cases I'm on. Recently, not many.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 pm

You mentioned that your firm only calls back people in the top 10%. If somebody with an offer drops out of the top 10% in their second year - say to around top 20 or 25% - does that affect their chances of getting a permanent offer at the end of the summer?

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:29 pm

3rdYrLitigator wrote:
PKSebben wrote:1st year associate splitting between IP and lit. When should I attempt my master plan to lateral out of NYC to the greener pastures of smaller market biglaw?

I can't stay here that long. Tell me what I want to hear, please.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 pm

How hard is it right now to lateral into government work as a litigator? What agencies do people lateral into?

Do first year associates in litigation primarily do document review?
What about first year associates in transactional groups - due diligence?
Know anything about first years working in bankruptcy or tax?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You mentioned that your firm only calls back people in the top 10%. If somebody with an offer drops out of the top 10% in their second year - say to around top 20 or 25% - does that affect their chances of getting a permanent offer at the end of the summer?

I highly doubt it.

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:32 pm

PKSebben wrote:
3rdYrLitigator wrote:

I can't stay here that long. Tell me what I want to hear, please.

Ok 2nd year is definitely doable. I can't imagine a lot of firms will want to take anyone earlier than that.

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it right now to lateral into government work as a litigator? What agencies do people lateral into?

Do first year associates in litigation primarily do document review?
What about first year associates in transactional groups - due diligence?
Know anything about first years working in bankruptcy or tax?

Right, now it's pretty hard. A lot people are trying to get into gov't work, and if you're not willing to move to DC you're looking at AUSA positions or states attorneys positions primarily.

There's some doc review, but more of that has been moving out to contract attorneys.
No idea about transactional groups, never touched it, never want to.
No idea on bankruptcy or tax.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 pm

What are you basing your opinion that entry level hiring is going to remain wake for quite a long time on? Thanks for taking questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:40 pm

How long do you usually get to work on assignments/a motion? Does the partner really expect you to give him something within a couple hours? Is it really a time crunch?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Do you think it is tougher for non-traditional grads to get into or keep a BigLaw job (for example someone who enters the market at 35)? Do you find there's a feeling older first years have trouble with the expectations?

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:58 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:What are you basing your opinion that entry level hiring is going to remain wake for quite a long time on? Thanks for taking questions.

General conversations with partners, and senior associates.

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long do you usually get to work on assignments/a motion? Does the partner really expect you to give him something within a couple hours? Is it really a time crunch?

I really can't answer that generally, motions come in a lot of different levels of complexity, a simple uncontested motion to extend time or something, sure a few hours is fine. A motion for summary judgment? A couple of weeks of work or more.

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 pm

mjcaccio wrote:Do you think it is tougher for non-traditional grads to get into or keep a BigLaw job (for example someone who enters the market at 35)? Do you find there's a feeling older first years have trouble with the expectations?

I don't really think so, and 35 is not that bad. If you're 40 or 50 I think you'd have a bit of trouble, but I don't think a 35 year old first year would have that hard of a time getting a job (at least not much harder than the "traditional" first years). Some partners may even like someone with more experience, especially if its related.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Were you considered a "gunner" in law school? Do they tend to fare better in biglaw? For those of us who aren't gunners, should we be worried?

3rdYrLitigator

Postby 3rdYrLitigator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Were you considered a "gunner" in law school? Do they tend to fare better in biglaw? For those of us who aren't gunners, should we be worried?

Definitely not a gunner. I don't think there's any correlation between gunner-ishness and success in biglaw. You shouldn't worry at all.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 pm

3rdYrLitigator wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:When you say you can't believe you interviewed a lot of crappy students, what made these interviewees so bad? And any good tips about interviewing? Thanks a lot for answering questions!

It's hard to say what makes them crappy. I can tell within about 2 minutes when it's going to be a terrible interview. I asked an interviewee what they did in their spare time and his answer was "nothing." If you can't answer a question like that, you're in trouble. You have to be able to keep up a general conversation, talk about your career goals, and why you're interested in the law/law firm and you'll be fine.

Is there anything an interviewee can do or say during an interview that leaves an especially good impression?
Is there anything an interviewee can do that will cause an automatic ding?

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 pm

What are your chances of making partner? Is it closer to "not a chance in hell" or "depends if the coin lands heads or tails?" How many of your peers aim to keep their associate positions with the hopes of making partner?

Return to “Legal Employment”