Rotating through lit having taken transactional courses?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rotating through lit having taken transactional courses?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 am

Am I going to be at a disadvantage if I have taken tax, commercial transactions, bankruptcy, corporations, etc. instead of admin, first amendment, etc.? (I'm taking evidence my 3L year.)

I worked for a judge my first summer and didn't mind researching/writing, but I really disliked con law so I have taken stuff like commercial transactions, tax, etc. Is it going to hurt me? Does taking classes like 14th or 1st A even help in corporate lit?

Younger Abstention

Re: Rotating through lit having taken transactional courses?

Postby Younger Abstention » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 am

As long as you can research law and write memos you are fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:27 am

Younger Abstention wrote:As long as you can research law and write memos you are fine.

Okay. Thanks. I did take advanced research, as well, which I think will (hopefully) help for both lit and transactional groups. Just worried, because most of my lit-focused friends have only taken classes like admin, 14th a, and stayed away from the classes I've taken.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:30 am

yeah, i highly, highly, highly doubt you as a summer would be asked to right a substantive merits brief arguing chevron, equal protection, or the various 1st am doctrines. i mean, c'mon now....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:yeah, i highly, highly, highly doubt you as a summer would be asked to right a substantive merits brief arguing chevron, equal protection, or the various 1st am doctrines. i mean, c'mon now....

ha, i realize that, but it seems that all the lit-focused people only take the amendment classes, admin, etc. ....just wondering if they are getting a benefit for lit that i'm missing out on.

i also have no plans of taking admin or amendment classes 3L year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:33 am

the lit that you'll be working on will be far more likely to touch on the subjects you've studied than on admin, 14th, or 1st Amendments. if anything, your classmates will be the ones at a disadvantage being that those courses are largely useless for 99% of mainstream lit.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:52 am

Federal courts, complex litigation, mass torts are some courses that might touch on matters biglaw litigates. But no course except for LRW or legal research really prepares you for the work you will be doing- doc review and researching and writing memos.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:53 am

timbs4339 wrote:Federal courts, complex litigation, mass torts are some courses that might touch on matters biglaw litigates. But no course except for LRW or legal research really prepares you for the work you will be doing- doc review and researching and writing memos.

hmm out of those 3 courses, we only have fed courts at my school.

Return to “Legal Employment”