JD Match

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Heartford

Re: JD Match

Postby Heartford » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Danteshek wrote:I had extensive email conversations with Bruce over the past 3 months about JD Match. I have a lot of confidence in him and what he is trying to do. I am a supporter and early adopter.

...8 days later...

Danteshek wrote:
Yep. Stay away.

Wait, what?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Joke. Haha. I'm sure plenty of people on TLS are signed up.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41 pm

What firms do they have?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Dear XXX,

As they say in ads, "Membership has its privileges." We value you as early adopters of JD Match and will keep you in the loop as well as offer incentives to build the membership.

Our roster of great firms continues to grow. Those we're allowed to mention include K&L Gates, Skadden, WilmerHale, Wilson Sonsini and McKenna Long. When we get permission from others we'll let you know. Lots more are on the brink...

And, we're putting our money where our mouth is. For every friend you refer who joins JD Match, you'll earn a $20 Starbucks gift card. You'll be swimming in Frappuccinos in no time! Send the names and email addresses of those you'd like to refer to support@jdmatch.com. We'll invite them to join (giving you credit) and when they do join we'll email the gift cards to you. Easy as that!

We're also interested in your opinions for attracting other law students to join JD Match. The more who join, the more valuable JD Match will be to students and firms. Please send any ideas you have.

As you know, you can follow us on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/JDMatch or Twitter@JDMatch. Additionally, our blog, JD Match Views, has launched and we welcome guest authors.

Send your thoughts and we'll post for all to see.
You can also send YouTube videos on, for example, why you joined JD Match or your views on law land recruiting. Do you have a YouTube channel we could link to?
Thanks again for joining JD Match. We want to work with you to make it "the best that it can be" - to borrow from another ad!

Best,

Janet
CEO

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What firms do they have?

Around 90 of the vault 100 the last time I checked, and more than 200 firms total, including all of the v25s.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Dear Janet,

Your business model sucks. If you want to get people to pay you $100 for a service for which there is no evidence that you can provide, at least offer them a bumper sticker saying "JD Match Snatched my Cash!"

love, Heartford

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:06 am

Heartford wrote:Dear Janet,

Your business model sucks. If you want to get people to pay you $100 for a service for which there is no evidence that you can provide, at least offer them a bumper sticker saying "JD Match Snatched my Cash!"

love, Heartford

How much are you paying for law school? Does your law school guarantee a job?

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:08 am

Danteshek wrote:
Heartford wrote:Dear Janet,

love, Heartford

How much are you paying for law school? Does your law school guarantee a job?

At least I can see that people have come out of my law school and gotten jobs. Would you pay to go to a law school that could show no evidence that anyone who had ever attended had ever gotten a job?

I don't think it's a bad idea, and I understand that it's a business, but it just seems stupid to start a networking site with a $100 entrance fee. Especially since we've all seen other "professional networking" websites that don't do anything for anyone. Like freaking LinkedIn.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:24 am

JD Match could transform entry level recruiting. I think the TLS community should at least give it a chance.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:31 am

I would have made registering free, and then charged the firms 500 dollars for every JD match person they actually hired as an SA.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:I would have made registering free, and then charged the firms 500 dollars for every JD match person they actually hired as an SA.

I don't see why they'd have a reason to pay though, considering that they get dozens hundreds of applicants for free.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:I would have made registering free, and then charged the firms 500 dollars for every JD match person they actually hired as an SA.

And it would still cost them far less than the average OCI candidate. The fact that they didn't use that business model tells me that firms aren't hiring through their service.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:37 am

JD Match launched only a few months ago. Rome was not built in a day...

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:38 am

gwuorbust wrote:

I don't see why they'd have a reason to pay though, considering that they get dozens hundreds of applicants for free.

So why do JD match at all.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

So why do JD match at all.

false sense of an increased chance at a jerb ?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:44 am

Danteshek wrote:For every friend you refer who joins JD Match, you'll earn a $20 Starbucks gift card.

Well, this explains what law students do with the thousands of Westlaw/Lexis rewards points they get:

Step 1: Get points during law school
Step 2: Fail to get job after graduating law school
Step 3: Create company and give away $20 in points (aka starbucks cards) for exchange of $100 cash
Step 4: Profit (no ??? needed here!)

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:51 am

Danteshek wrote:And, we're putting our money where our mouth is. For every friend you refer who joins JD Match, you'll earn a $20 Starbucks gift card. You'll be swimming in Frappuccinos in no time!

It's officially a time share. Or a pyramid scheme. Or a pyramid time share scheme.

Run, do not walk.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:27 am

A lot of you don't seem to know who Bruce is. Read his blog, Adam Smith, Esq., sometime. It's actually probably the best blog out there on law firm economics (if not the best publication on it, period). He's widely consulted by these Vault firms on how to manage themselves. If anyone has the connections to pull this off, it's him. He's not just some rando.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:54 am

seriouslyinformative wrote:A lot of you don't seem to know who Bruce is. Read his blog, Adam Smith, Esq., sometime. It's actually probably the best blog out there on law firm economics (if not the best publication on it, period). He's widely consulted by these Vault firms on how to manage themselves. If anyone has the connections to pull this off, it's him. He's not just some rando.

I agree, but I stand by my statement that the fact that students, not firms, are bearing the cost means it isn't worth the money. Firms pay headhunter fees. Firms pay for OCI participation. Firms pay for callbacks. If firms aren't paying for this, then they aren't really interested.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:22 am

Renzo wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:A lot of you don't seem to know who Bruce is. Read his blog, Adam Smith, Esq., sometime. It's actually probably the best blog out there on law firm economics (if not the best publication on it, period). He's widely consulted by these Vault firms on how to manage themselves. If anyone has the connections to pull this off, it's him. He's not just some rando.

I agree, but I stand by my statement that the fact that students, not firms, are bearing the cost means it isn't worth the money. Firms pay headhunter fees. Firms pay for OCI participation. Firms pay for callbacks. If firms aren't paying for this, then they aren't really interested.
There's no reason to assume that firms aren't also paying for this simply because law students are.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:31 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
Renzo wrote:

There's no reason to assume that firms aren't also paying for this simply because law students are.

Doesn't change my analysis, even if true. In 100% of all recruiting methods that firms engage in, they bear all the cost-- even when that cost is a payment to a middle-man, like a headhunter. The fact that firms aren't bearing this cost tells me that, at best, there aren't enough "matches" being made to sustain the system, and at worst, it's just a way to collect $100 checks for what amounts to a fancy, computerized mass-mailing.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 am

Renzo wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Doesn't change my analysis, even if true. In 100% of all recruiting methods that firms engage in, they bear all the cost-- even when that cost is a payment to a middle-man, like a headhunter. The fact that firms aren't bearing this cost tells me that, at best, there aren't enough "matches" being made to sustain the system, and at worst, it's just a way to collect $100 checks for what amounts to a fancy, computerized mass-mailing.
This isn't completely true. A reasonable high percentage of non-OCI interviews that students are able to get are based on the fact that the student indicates that s/he will be in the firm's city during a certain interval, which means that the student is paying for most of the cost of the "callback." Also, job fairs.

To be clear, I'm not saying that this service is a good idea, nor even that forcing students to pay is a good idea. The fact that a student bears some of the cost of an avenue of his/her job search does not make that avenue illegitimate.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:47 am

Renzo wrote:

I agree, but I stand by my statement that the fact that students, not firms, are bearing the cost means it isn't worth the money.

and how much is your school's tuition? free? less than $100?

didn't think so.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:52 am

Renzo wrote: Firms pay headhunter fees. Firms pay for OCI participation. Firms pay for callbacks. If firms aren't paying for this, then they aren't really interested.

as for firms paying for OCI, this raises an interesting point. I wonder if they pay at akl schools. I can imagine is that here at my 50ish school that fee would drive away potential firms that would hire students. I especially worry about small and mid firms. are they having to foot the same bill that large firms do, or do they normally get a break?

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 am

gwuorbust wrote:
Renzo wrote: Firms pay headhunter fees. Firms pay for OCI participation. Firms pay for callbacks. If firms aren't paying for this, then they aren't really interested.

as for firms paying for OCI, this raises an interesting point. I wonder if they pay at akl schools. I can imagine is that here at my 50ish school that fee would drive away potential firms that would hire students. I especially worry about small and mid firms. are they having to foot the same bill that large firms do, or do they normally get a break?

Just clear this up, firms do pay for JD Match. A lot. as for OCI, it varys from scoop to school.

Return to “Legal Employment”