JD Match

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: JD Match

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:05 am

Stanford4Me wrote:I wish everyone would get this riled up about the practices of their law schools in advertising employment numbers.

My law school's LST profile isn't perfect, but they do circulate a list to all 0Ls that says where the graduating class got jobs.

Also, old news.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:35 am

BruceMacEwen wrote:But the strong consensus of advice we got was that firms wanted students to take JD Match seriously as well and therefore wanted it to cost something, not nothing. That said, we are offering substantial discounts (up to half off--$49 not $99) and incentives such as the gift cards you’ve heard about, in order to encourage you all to join. In the larger context of what’s at stake, our prices are extremely modest.

How selfless of you to drastically increase your own potential profit margin in response to client demands.

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Rocketman11 wrote:
BruceMacEwen wrote:But the strong consensus of advice we got was that firms wanted students to take JD Match seriously as well and therefore wanted it to cost something, not nothing. That said, we are offering substantial discounts (up to half off--$49 not $99) and incentives such as the gift cards you’ve heard about, in order to encourage you all to join. In the larger context of what’s at stake, our prices are extremely modest.

How selfless of you to drastically increase your own potential profit margin in response to client demands.

Don't be a dick.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:51 am

seriouslyinformative wrote:Don't be a dick.

<---

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm

With my self-imposed OCI and mass mailing deadlines approaching am I willing to throw $100 at a new startup that is offering me a chance at landing a six-figure job?

Probably.

Smartest move I'll ever make?

Probably not.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:29 pm

Bruce, perhaps a promotional code for us TLSers to receive the service for $49 would help encourage more partcipation. (After I saw your post I started looking for a promo code to use, but was unable to find one).

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:56 pm

The biggest problem that I see with JD match is that the students (and firms) who are the most attractive candidates are the students (and firms) least likely to spend a large amount of money to use an unproven system - they already have a perfectly good (and free to the students) alternative.

The only way I see this working would be if JD match ran it like a Silicon Valley startup. Get some venture funding, use that funding to provide the service for "free," but only to pre-screened candidates who firms will likely find attractive. Once firms start recruiting through the system, discover that the system produces quality employees, and once students start seeing tangible results, JD match can start ramping up the fees with an increasingly captive audience.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 pm

bmontminy wrote:Bruce, perhaps a promotional code for us TLSers to receive the service for $49 would help encourage more partcipation. (After I saw your post I started looking for a promo code to use, but was unable to find one).

I agree with this.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:16 am

Danteshek wrote:Bruce just put up a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w638IJOw7pU

I think he makes fair points, but I wanted more substance.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 am

Perhaps my browser is broken. It played a two minute, poorly produced monologue advertisement sans any substance.

What did your browser play that made this worth posting?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:31 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:

Perhaps my browser is broken. It played a two minute, poorly produced monologue advertisement sans any substance.

What did your browser play that made this worth posting?

Why are you so angry? Did your girlfriend just leave you?

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:43 am

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:56 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Now that JD Match is free, the calculus strikes me as different.

Yep.

Good choice JD match.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Now that JD Match is free, the calculus strikes me as different.

Making it free is a pretty good move. Five firms is disappointing but I guess more students will bring more firms. Maybe.

BruceMacEwen

Postby BruceMacEwen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Glad you got this. Only caveat is our coders hadn't quite polished off what it takes to make the new membership level available before word got out. Give us 'til mid-day tomorrow/Fri 8th to get it buttoned down.

Thanks.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Because JD Match is now free for law students, I created an account tonight.

One question I have for Bruce is what students whose schools don't give exact ranks should do about Class Rank. For example at Cornell, only Top 10% is officially listed by the school. However, rankings are not actually given by the registrar and I don't think we are supposed to give estimates of our rankings to employers. Do you think we will be at a disadvantage in the firm rankings if we correctly put none since we have no idea what our actual rank is?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 pm

rad law wrote:

Making it free is a pretty good move. Five firms is disappointing but I guess more students will bring more firms. Maybe.

Well, it may only be five firms, but they're not no-names. I will sign up as soon as the programming kink is ironed out.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:50 pm

BenJ wrote:
rad law wrote:

Well, it may only be five firms, but they're not no-names. I will sign up as soon as the programming kink is ironed out.

If you click on Join Now, enter your email address and click submit, then exit the window without filling in any information, it will create an account for you. Then click on sign in and use the forgot password link. You can then fill in your account information after you get your temp password in an email.

Found this out on accident, when I tried to create an account and then saw the credit card information field and exited thinking I choose the wrong option. Tried to do it again and it told me an account was already created. Not sure if that was a bug in the original system or a result of the transition from paid to free. But I was able to create an account without giving any credit card info.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Nice to see Bruce responding to the demands of the market.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Add me to those who signed up now that it's free.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 am

Make TLSers feel good to be able to pretend like they're partly responsible for this?

Definitely be doing it now. Don't even have to feel bad about it anymroe!

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:32 am

Aston2412 wrote:Make TLSers feel good to be able to pretend like they're partly responsible for this?

pretend? I give TLS 100% of the credit for this.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:48 am

gwuorbust wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:Make TLSers feel good to be able to pretend like they're partly responsible for this?

pretend? I give TLS 100% of the credit for this.

I suggested to Bruce in an email a few days ago that he post here to respond to the criticism and answer questions. I suspect he was taken aback by the vehemence of some of the posters on this site. Although I am a little disappointed that most TLSers chose not to give Bruce a vote of confidence in the form of a $99 membership, I give him a lot of credit for changing an important aspect of his business model on a moment's notice. I think it was a smart move. If a large number of students sign up, Bruce will have a significantly more compelling pitch for the firms. Where else can you find thousands of law student resumes in one place?

seriouslyinformative

Postby seriouslyinformative » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 am

Although I am a little disappointed that most TLSers chose not to give Bruce a vote of confidence in the form of a $99 membership,

I'm pretty sure Bruce knows TLSers score a solid 2/10 on the scale of social ability.

Return to “Legal Employment”