JD Match

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:35 pm

ITT whiny students show why the legal profession will always be too weak to reform itself.

TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting. We need to cut the out of the equation. Support JD Match.
Last edited by Danteshek on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: JD Match

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:You claim that JD Match adds value above sending a firm a resume, but you never suggested how.


Kind of curious about this myself. One of the benefits of the MD (or PhD) Match program is that it virtually locks in interviews for participants as far as I can tell, and it is the primary system that all medical students use to get jobs. I thought JD Match was run by the same company and would work the same way, but apparently not. Perhaps you could elaborate on the differences between JD Match and the Match company that handles medical recruiting and placement?

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: JD Match

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote: if and when JD Match participants experience some success, how will you characterize that success in your advertisements? Surely if JD Match is not going to play a role in "what happens next" after an initial match is made, then one would never be able to say "JD Match got me this job."

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Heartford » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:59 pm

What I've learned from this thread: You can't polish a turd.

It's nice to hear from Bruce but I still don't see how he justifies charging $100 per student so that we can build the network necessary to get his site off the ground for him. Everything else he says sounds all well and good, but when I look at his website, all I see are vague promises followed by a prompt to enter my credit card information. Regardless of your credentials or your intentions, Bruce, your website feels cheap and scammy and I won't pay you for the privilege of becoming an asset necessary for your model to function. Best of luck, though!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Danteshek wrote:ITT whiny students show why the legal profession will always be too weak to reform itself.

TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting. We need to cut the out of the equation. Support JD Match.


ITT Dantesheck is mad his tiny pink OCI didn't get him a job.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:10 pm

Danteshek wrote:ITT whiny students show why the legal profession will always be too weak to reform itself.

TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting. We need to cut the out of the equation. Support JD Match.


This is silly. Everyone would sign up if it were free.

Can I also assume you boycotted OCI and other career services opportunities based on the strength of these convictions?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Danteshek wrote:TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting.


...what does this even mean?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: JD Match

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:14 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Danteshek wrote:TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting.


...what does this even mean?


I think he's trying to decry the extent to which a law school's ranking influences its students' job prospects.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Danteshek wrote:ITT whiny students show why the legal profession will always be too weak to reform itself.

TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting. We need to cut the out of the equation. Support JD Match.


ITT Dantesheck is mad his tiny pink OCI didn't get him a job.


Hey dickhead, I didn't even do OCI at my school. I transferred in.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Danteshek wrote:ITT whiny students show why the legal profession will always be too weak to reform itself.

TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting. We need to cut the out of the equation. Support JD Match.


ITT Dantesheck is mad his tiny pink OCI didn't get him a job.


Hey dickhead, I didn't even do OCI at my school. I transferred in.


Transfers can't do OCI. How TTT is that shit?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:17 pm

dresden doll wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Danteshek wrote:TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting.


...what does this even mean?


I think he's trying to decry the extent to which a law school's ranking influences its students' job prospects.


Well if he wants to fix that he should start rounding up all of the successful alumni from highly ranked schools and removing their ability to make hiring decisions.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:18 pm

I think this would be a very useful tool that hundreds to thousands of students would sign up for it if was free. that would lead to the "network effect" and then JD Match could monetize the site by charging firms. however, I feel that "double dipping" - charging firms and students - is the wrong way to go.

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:20 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I think this would be a very useful tool that hundreds to thousands of students would sign up for it if was free. that would lead to the "network effect" and then JD Match could monetize the site by charging firms. however, I feel that "double dipping" - charging firms and students - is the wrong way to go.


This.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Danteshek wrote:ITT whiny students show why the legal profession will always be too weak to reform itself.

TLS: law schools have way too much power over recruiting. We need to cut the out of the equation. Support JD Match.


ITT Dantesheck is mad his tiny pink OCI didn't get him a job.


Hey dickhead, I didn't even do OCI at my school. I transferred in.


Transfers can't do OCI. How TTT is that shit?


I feel sorry for your future colleagues. You are a jackass.

FWIW, if you knew me, I am pretty sure you would trade places with me.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Danteshek wrote:FWIW, if you knew me, I am pretty sure you would trade places with me.


New avatar!

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Danteshek wrote:FWIW, if you knew me, I am pretty sure you would trade places with me.


New avatar!


Lulzzzzz

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Dante. You sure you want to link to your real name on TLS?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Dante. You sure you want to link to your real name on TLS?


Introduce yourself to me IRL. See what happens.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Dante. You sure you want to link to your real name on TLS?


Introduce yourself to me IRL. See what happens.


Spoiler: you'll get a business card.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:07 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Dante. You sure you want to link to your real name on TLS?


Introduce yourself to me IRL. See what happens.


Spoiler: you'll get a business card.


ok I loled :D

User avatar
IrwinM.Fletcher
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Dante. You sure you want to link to your real name on TLS?


Introduce yourself to me IRL. See what happens.


Nominee for the largest unemployed penis on TLS.

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Headybrah » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:19 pm

1). Keep that garbage out of this thread. JD Match guy was kind enough to come here and answer questions, don't run him out of here.

2). He is not charging a lot here people. 100 is a lot of money but read the thread on what to wear to OCI - people will readily spend over $100 on clothing for interviews they may never even get. Plenty of people will drop the $100 because its a low risk high reward thing. If you really want to give Biglaw a shot, don't go to the bar 4x and bam you get in on this. For how much school costs, and how much people drop on supplements and LSAT and everything else this is not an egregiously priced service.

3). He will get PLENTY of people to sign up. TLS is a small share of well informed (for the most part) law students, who do their due diligence. However, look how many people take the LSAT and enroll in law school with NO clue. There are a ton. There are also a ton of people whose parents will read about this in the NYT and will pay for it for their kids. The people will come.

4). He is offering a service and its in its infant stages. Perhaps it should be cheaper now because he will inevitably have many more firms signed up for future users. He does not claim to get you a job, just gives another option for that small chance.

In sum - he will get his students. His business will do well, it seems like a really good idea and this will probably end up helping a lot of kids in the long run.

Thanks for looking outside the box and exploring new ideas Bruce. Don't be put off by the TLS groupthink, its pretty strong.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Heartford » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for looking outside the box and exploring new ideas Bruce. Don't be put off by the TLS groupthink, its pretty strong.


Or, consider it valuable feedback directly from your target market base, and adjust your business plan accordingly. But no, you should probably just totally ignore it and see how that works out for you.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: JD Match

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1). Keep that garbage out of this thread. JD Match guy was kind enough to come here and answer questions, don't run him out of here.

2). He is not charging a lot here people. 100 is a lot of money but read the thread on what to wear to OCI - people will readily spend over $100 on clothing for interviews they may never even get. Plenty of people will drop the $100 because its a low risk high reward thing. If you really want to give Biglaw a shot, don't go to the bar 4x and bam you get in on this. For how much school costs, and how much people drop on supplements and LSAT and everything else this is not an egregiously priced service.

3). He will get PLENTY of people to sign up. TLS is a small share of well informed (for the most part) law students, who do their due diligence. However, look how many people take the LSAT and enroll in law school with NO clue. There are a ton. There are also a ton of people whose parents will read about this in the NYT and will pay for it for their kids. The people will come.

4). He is offering a service and its in its infant stages. Perhaps it should be cheaper now because he will inevitably have many more firms signed up for future users. He does not claim to get you a job, just gives another option for that small chance.

In sum - he will get his students. His business will do well, it seems like a really good idea and this will probably end up helping a lot of kids in the long run.

Thanks for looking outside the box and exploring new ideas Bruce. Don't be put off by the TLS groupthink, its pretty strong.


lol @ too scared to post under your real name

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6043
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: JD Match

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:02 am

I wish everyone would get this riled up about the practices of their law schools in advertising employment numbers.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.