JD Match Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
emciosn

Bronze

Re: JD Match

Post by emciosn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:38 pm

duckmoney wrote:
emciosn wrote:My LS just sent out an e-mail telling us that we can use JD match for free. The first match day is this Saturday apparently. I thought I saw earlier in this thread that it was pretty expensive, is it free at other schools?
Can you say which school?
WUSTL
lawfirmrecruiter wrote:
emciosn wrote:My LS just sent out an e-mail telling us that we can use JD match for free. The first match day is this Saturday apparently. I thought I saw earlier in this thread that it was pretty expensive, is it free at other schools?
JD Match is now free for all students.
Gotcha, I figured it might be something like that.

jhandin

New

Post by jhandin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 am

Has anyone figured out how to move a firm choice from one page to the next? For instance, if there is a firm on page 1 of my rankings that I want to move to page 2, how do I do that? Thanks.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:21 am

is this for people trying to get 2L SA positions next summer or only for people seeking full-time employment?

thelawguy

New

Post by thelawguy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:00 pm

So if it runs this Saturday will we know if we match on Sunday or Monday?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only firms you can actually get are the ones with the JDMatch symbol next to them, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawguy

New

Post by thelawguy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

keg411 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only firms you can actually get are the ones with the JDMatch symbol next to them, right?
Si

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:54 pm

There is a slot to put any advanced degrees you have (MS, PhD, etc.), but there is no slot to say what that degree was in. Since my advanced degree is relevant to both my work experience and the type of law I want to practice, it's kind of worthless to me to only be able to enter "MS" without any further description.

Also, the "class rank" drop down menu is extremely granular. Is there a way to simply enter your GPA? It's a step between uploading your full transcript and being uselessly vague. If you are just below one of the GPA cutoffs, it really hurts you. "Top 25-50%" really covers a lot of ground recruiting-wise.

Thirdly, the "areas of interest" list only lists a very limited area of practice areas, and some practice areas are grouped with ones that aren't always grouped together, such as "Labor" and "Employee Benefits." I am just a lowly rising 2L, but from what I've gathered, employee benefits is more of a tax/finance-focused practice area, and "Labor" is more working with administrative agencies and negotiations. And there is no option with just "employment law."

My advanced degree, work experience, and desired practice area are all very important parts of my pitch to firms, yet the way the site is set up, I find it virtually impossible to make that pitch: I can't say what field my advanced degree was in, there's no fast, quick, and easy way for law firms to find candidates with certain work experience, and my choice area of practice simply is not on your drop-down menu, even though it is a major practice area (Employment Law). Also, my large undergarduate institution is not on your list.

I know that starting up a new business is very challenging, as my father was an entrepeneur himself that worked many 100-hour weeks working out kinks in his product, etc., but there seems to be a TON of major kinks on the site. Without trying to sound snotty, I would reccomend hiring a quality consultant or someone else to check these things out. Either that, or communicate the fact that your site is still in "beta" mode.

I appreciate the long-term mission of your endeavor, and think it has the potential to be very successful in 1) combating school-based nepotism in hiring, 2) creating a larger pool of talent from each firm to choose from, 3) creating a large database of applicants that can be quickly sorted through by hiring committes at large firms looking for specific interests/qualifications, 4) creating a system that helps firms figure out who is truly interested in them (at OCI, every candidate probably says the firm they are interviewing with is their top firm), and 5) creating a system that has a future that can potentailly and easily build value into the recruiting process by adding factors that actually have predictive value over an employee's job success other than just law exam scores (which, from everything I've read, have a pretty weak correlation with performance and retention).

I think adding a section that allows you to enter in work experience would be great, too, including number of years of experience and the type of work you are doing. Basically letting students break down their resume into easily sortable categories so that firms can search for specific traits instead of weeding through thousands of resumes. Firms like Skadden, if the site goes well, are going to have thousands of people interested in them. If you could allow students to enter in more information and make it quantifiable and sortable, you could REALLY add value to the recruitment process.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:00 pm

I agree with the above. It looks like a really terrible resume drop. Oh well, here is to hoping everyone smarter than me didn't use it so I can steal an interview.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:54 pm

One of the most recent JD Match e-mails mentioned we could enter our GPAs/transcripts and were on our honor to do so. When/where can we do that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:54 pm

So the first 'match' is supposed to run today?

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Tomorrow maybe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:13 pm

What's your source for the match date? I haven't been able to find anything.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Bruce said the 6th originally and then I think he said the 7th in this thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darklighter13

New

Post by darklighter13 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm

So, if I read the e-mail correctly, only one student got matched?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:19 pm

darklighter13 wrote:So, if I read the e-mail correctly, only one student got matched?
Wow, hope those who were brave enough to take the plunge when this was still a pay service got their money back after it went free...

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:23 pm

darklighter13 wrote:So, if I read the e-mail correctly, only one student got matched?
What email? I think for some reason I don't get emails from jdmatch

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 pm

LOL at this TTT shit. Wow so you want my GPA when three fucking days ago you wouldn't let me put it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:31 pm

CyLaw wrote:
I didn't get an e-mail either. And I just saw the GPA input.

Also, I'm a transfer, so it's pretty much all screwed up for me and I'm not quite sure how to represent my rank/GPA. At the very least there should be some type of transfer check box so I don't feel weird about putting my GPA.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:43 pm

keg411 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
I didn't get an e-mail either. And I just saw the GPA input.

Also, I'm a transfer, so it's pretty much all screwed up for me and I'm not quite sure how to represent my rank/GPA. At the very least there should be some type of transfer check box so I don't feel weird about putting my GPA.
+1 If i put my gpa/rank in the box, they'll think that its from my new school and think I'm amazing. If I leave it blank cause there's no transfer spot (which i did), I'm sure they'll just be like o wow this guy must've failed, he didn't put rank or gpa.

ETA: This is what they're bragging about in the e-mail: "Nevertheless, we're delighted to report that one of our member firms that has begun to populate their rankings was matched with a student they ranked highly."

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Had to leave GPA blank as well, my school doesn't use the 4.0 scale and just gives us an average out of 100. Anyhow, I'd be interested in reading the e-mail as it appears a bunch of us didn't get it.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm disappointed as well. WTF is this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:20 pm

deebs wrote:Had to leave GPA blank as well, my school doesn't use the 4.0 scale and just gives us an average out of 100. Anyhow, I'd be interested in reading the e-mail as it appears a bunch of us didn't get it.

The first run of the matching algorithm took place early this morning.

Because we're at the very start of the OCI/recuiting season, the algorithm operated on limited ranking information. Most students have barely begun to rank firms and most of our member firms have just begun to set up their accounts and begin examining students. Also, since this is the start of OCI, firms have more information on firms than vice versa.

Nevertheless, we're delighted to report that one of our member firms that has begun to populate their rankings was matched with a student they ranked highly.

What have we learned so far?

Firms are telling us they're eager to see more information about you.

In particular, please make sure you have completed the following parts of your profile, all accessible from your "My Page" on JD Match:

On the "Law School" tab of your My Page, please be sure to complete the following:

GPA. Yes, we realize different schools have different grading systems, but in order to permit "apples to apples" comparisons, we use the familiar 4-point scale. If your school uses a different system, select the value on the 4-point scale that most closely corresponds to your GPA.

Class rank in law school.

On the "Other" tab:

Provide your resume: Firms view this as an extremely important all-encompassing piece of information about you. We strongly recommend you upload it in *.doc or *.txt format since we can make those full-text searchable by firms. For technical reasons we cannot do the same with *.pdf's.

Keep checking back to the site: We will be introducing additional fields enabling you to tell firms even more about yourself.

We will soon introduce:

Preferences for regions of the country, or international;
Years of full-time work experience, with a "please describe" line;
And more.

Finally, we'll close with a few quick reminders about your rankings themselves.

Continue to build your rankings of firms.

Rank firms you're interested in even if they're not yet JD Match members.

One of the most powerful tools we have to persuade firms to join JD Match is telling them how many students have expressed interest in them. They will want to find out who you are. And the only way to do that is by joining JD Match.

Thanks again for joining JD Match.
Revolution in Legal Employment Fail.

darklighter13

New

Post by darklighter13 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:17 pm

deebs wrote:Had to leave GPA blank as well, my school doesn't use the 4.0 scale and just gives us an average out of 100. Anyhow, I'd be interested in reading the e-mail as it appears a bunch of us didn't get it.
There's an alphanumeric conversion chart on the school website that you can use to calculate your 4.0 scale GPA. I also listed my GPA in that "other" textbox.

Slightly off topic, but why rate us out of 100? You could still get as many gradations on a 4 point scale (think: 87 = 3.3, for example) without making our GPAs difficult for employers to understand.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:30 pm

My law school info keeps disappearing and my GPA is defaulting to a 1.4. The "My matches" link sends me to an error. This site is a mess.

Protip: Hire someone who knows how to build websites.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Heartford wrote:My law school info keeps disappearing and my GPA is defaulting to a 1.4. The "My matches" link sends me to an error. This site is a mess.

Protip: Hire someone who knows how to build websites.
+1. My cycle date keeps switching to Spring 1L every time I login too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”